• 1 Post By Hilton
  • 1 Post By stevekremer
  • 1 Post By powwow
  • 1 Post By Jriverside

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old May 10th, 2020, 5:08 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

A little down time.

Well, three days ago I decided to break both bones in my lower leg just above my ankle and broke the small bone a second time just below my knee. Had some fancy hardware installed yesterday (costs even more than BMW parts!) and am home now living on Hydrocodone or something like that. I don’t know how long the recovery will be, but I am hoping at least that Covid is behind us when I am ready to get back on the KLR and LT.

So, you all keep posting interesting stuff here so I have something to read for the next few weeks during my time as an invalid.
zippy_gg and james216 like this.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old May 10th, 2020, 7:30 pm

Re: A little down time.

Ouch! Sorry to hear this news. Be a good patient and don't try to get on the LT (or hold it up) too soon.

How did you manage to break those bones?

2000 LT 213K miles
2010 RT 35K miles
2007 RT P 42,000 miles SOLD
1982 vision 550 Yamaha SOLD
1964 Vespa 175 w/sidecar (homemade by neighbor) SOLD
1966 Honda CL77 (2016-17 winter project) As of August 16, the Honda is running! First time in 42 years. Going to be a sweet little around town bike. SOLD,
Four corner SCMA ride 2013
All Yooper SS1000K, 6/17/17, 6/19
48 state/12 day ride 2016
Great Lakes Challenge, 2011
2018 Fall Classic SS1000 Four-Corners
post #3 of 25 Old May 10th, 2020, 8:22 pm

Matt, I hope it wasn't bike related as there would be that to worry about also. Sorry to hear about it so I will try and entertain with my own sob stories about the LT, latest being a failed EHCS rebuild. Keep us posted and if it isn't too embarrassing, let us know what actually happened to break both bones. If it is embarrassing, I will always accept a PM with details.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI – Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT – Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 25 Old May 11th, 2020, 12:45 am
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

Yikes! Wishing the best your way... be safe. Be well. Be careful. Cheers.
Voyager and CheezNbeer like this.

Bob
Covina, CA
2000 K1200LTI Champagne

post #5 of 25 Old May 11th, 2020, 5:07 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
Well, three days ago I decided to break both bones in my lower leg just above my ankle and broke the small bone a second time just below my knee. Had some fancy hardware installed yesterday (costs even more than BMW parts!) and am home now living on Hydrocodone or something like that. I don’t know how long the recovery will be, but I am hoping at least that Covid is behind us when I am ready to get back on the KLR and LT.

So, you all keep posting interesting stuff here so I have something to read for the next few weeks during my time as an invalid.
I Know where your coming from. I've been in & out for 2 1/2 years now. First was right knee replacement in July 2017. That was 6 months. Recovered. Then i suffered a stress fracture in my left foot in 2018. Recovered from that. Now just getting back in the swing of things after healing from a stress fracture in the right foot. The left foot fracture was caused by low Vitamin D level. Common i guess. The right. Dr doesn't know why. But this time in the last month when i could start walking. I used the off time to do maintenance to the LT.
Voyager likes this.

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
1999 Suzuki Intruder VL1500LC. Betty Lou.
I'm a 4 percenter.
post #6 of 25 Old May 11th, 2020, 7:06 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Thankfully, not bike related, but almost everybody who saw me asked that as everyone knows I ride a fair bit and that is what people always want to blame first!

Linda, my granddaughter and I were clearing some fallen trees from an old logging road on my land that we use for walking and ATV riding. I had cut and and removed several dead trees from the road and we were on the next to last one. It wasn’t a big tree, maybe 8” diameter, but it probably weighed a hundred pounds or so. I had picked it up and was walking it backwards to swing it across the road when I slipped on the mud or stepped in a rut or something. The next thing I know I am falling backwards and trying to get my feet to catch up with my body. I don’t know if I dropped the tree on my boot (this is what I think happened) or just stepped on the side of a rut or a hole, but I heard a very distinctive “snap” and, though I have never broken a bone before, I know before I hit the ground what had happened. And when I hit and rolled onto my back my feet bounced a foot or so in the air and my left boot was flopping around clearly no longer firmly attached and came to rest rotated 90 degrees CCW. I knew then I wasn’t walking out on my own.

We had no 911 signal as we were about 1/2 from my house back in the woods, so my wife had to unhook the cart from the ATV (we planned to cut some firewood on the way back) and ride out to call the ambulance. I had about 30 minutes lying in the mud in a light rain to contemplate the error of my ways before I heard sirens. Our local fire and rescue folks came out with their UTV and hauled me out. That was a painful ride as apparently they no longer splint breaks like that. They got my boot off in the ambulance, that was the most fun part of all, and then x-rayed my leg at the hospital nearest my house. Once the doctor there saw the x-ray he called an orthopedic surgeon at a nearby larger hospital and they decided to transfer me. So, I got a second ambulance ride of about 40 miles to Arnot Medical Center in Elmira, NY. I got there too late for surgery that night (it was 11 PM by then), but had the surgery the following afternoon. I was fortunate to get a great surgeon and I think he has me pinned back together pretty well. Now, just hobbling around on crutches until I go back for the 10 day follow-up visit. I suspect it was a combination of bad luck and aging bones. I’ve always had very strong bones and never broke one even through many bicycle, dirt bike and other accidents, but I suspect age is catching up with me. Had I been 40, I probably would just have a sprained ankle.

The really funny part is that the local volunteer fire and rescue folks must have been bored as, I kid you not, we had 12-15 people show up from 3 local fire companies and they had an ambulance, two medical trucks, a fire truck and the trailer with the UTV. My house looked like the scene of an airplane crash! All kidding aside though, it is good to have dedicated folks like our rural volunteers when the SHTF.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #7 of 25 Old May 11th, 2020, 7:32 am

You know, I had contemplated asking if you dropped a tree on it but I thought that might be a stretch. Silly me I just bought some D3 so I think I will start taking it today. Hope it heals fully and well so you can get back to riding.
Voyager likes this.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #8 of 25 Old May 11th, 2020, 1:44 pm

Yeeouch!
Pain meds are your friend. Unless you have a history of addiction, don't be too concerned about getting hooked on the hydrocodone. I'm sure all the medical people told you about staying ahead of the pain, especially for the first few days.

Not much happening with my LT. I put the Battery Tender back on it since I haven't had it out for over a week. Maybe this coming weekend I'll roll it out again. I find that I am more than glad that most of the time I do not have to wrench on the bike but it is ready to roll. It's probably due for an oil change and I should do another final drive fluid change too.

While you all in the northern parts were getting a revisit from Mr. Winter, we were having some really nice weather down here on the third coast: low in the 60s, highs in the 70s. But this week, it warms back up to more seasonal temps in the lower 80s. Still plenty fine riding weather for us.

Rest up and heal (go heavy on the calcium and protein). You'll be back in the saddle soon.
Voyager likes this.

Dave
-2000 K1200LT
-------------------------------
Life's too short to ride ugly motorcycles
post #9 of 25 Old May 11th, 2020, 3:29 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwcoolk1200 View Post
You know, I had contemplated asking if you dropped a tree on it but I thought that might be a stretch. Silly me I just bought some D3 so I think I will start taking it today. Hope it heals fully and well so you can get back to riding.
D3?

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #10 of 25 Old May 11th, 2020, 3:36 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukey33 View Post
Yeeouch!
Pain meds are your friend. Unless you have a history of addiction, don't be too concerned about getting hooked on the hydrocodone. I'm sure all the medical people told you about staying ahead of the pain, especially for the first few days.

Not much happening with my LT. I put the Battery Tender back on it since I haven't had it out for over a week. Maybe this coming weekend I'll roll it out again. I find that I am more than glad that most of the time I do not have to wrench on the bike but it is ready to roll. It's probably due for an oil change and I should do another final drive fluid change too.

While you all in the northern parts were getting a revisit from Mr. Winter, we were having some really nice weather down here on the third coast: low in the 60s, highs in the 70s. But this week, it warms back up to more seasonal temps in the lower 80s. Still plenty fine riding weather for us.

Rest up and heal (go heavy on the calcium and protein). You'll be back in the saddle soon.
Fortunately, I have fairly good pain tolerance, except for needles. Really don’t like them for some reason. The anesthesiologist strongly suggested a nerve block prior to the surgery. When he described how he did it, I hesitated, but decided to go for it. I was quite glad I did. I was sedated before the nerve block and barely remember it. I recall someone calling out a sequence of things and then the lights went out. I was very happy to have the nerve block for about 14 hours post-surgery. Although, when it wore off it wore off quickly and I went from zero pain to not much fun pain in about two hours. However, things are feeling much better now and I actually got some sleep last night for the first time in nearly 4 days. And the pain is going down pretty quickly now so I think when the 3 day Hydrocodone is gone I will be in pretty good shape.

I just hate sitting around and having to hobble on crutches. Not fun, but at least I have a good home health care provider.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #11 of 25 Old May 11th, 2020, 6:38 pm

Sorry to hear Matt. Get well soon and listen to the therapists, they do know what they are doing.

Robert
Voyager likes this.

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)

2000 K1200LT "Latifah"
1994 R1100RSL (wife's)
1981 R80GS
1976 R90S
1965 R80/2 Frankenbike (wife's)
2001 Bunkhouse LX (given to son)
2011 Bunkhouse Queen

post #12 of 25 Old May 11th, 2020, 6:51 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
D3?
Supplements for better living.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2142.JPG
Views:	15
Size:	307.0 KB
ID:	156891  
Voyager likes this.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #13 of 25 Old May 12th, 2020, 6:32 pm
Miles of Smiles

Garage
Sorry to hear about your “ Off “
Well it’s off that you broke some bones.
Good thing no chain saws were involved.
Heal fast. Cheers
Voyager likes this.

Jenna: Ocean Blue '06
Hilton: Head of the Steering Committee.
Rena: The Committee.
ET4 Thing 1
ET4 Thing 2
post #14 of 25 Old May 12th, 2020, 6:45 pm

Sorry to hear about your accident Matt. I hope you heal quick and strong. Elmira is only about 10 miles away from me.

Steve
Voyager likes this.
post #15 of 25 Old May 12th, 2020, 8:15 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Wishing you a complete and speedy recovery, Matt.
Voyager likes this.

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2017 KTM 350 EXC-F (single track monster)
2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun on the fire roads)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #16 of 25 Old May 12th, 2020, 9:18 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilton View Post
Sorry to hear about your “ Off “
Well it’s off that you broke some bones.
Good thing no chain saws were involved.
Heal fast. Cheers
The chain saw was in the wagon as I thought this particular tree was small enough not to need to be cut. Oh well...

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #17 of 25 Old May 12th, 2020, 9:19 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevekremer View Post
Sorry to hear about your accident Matt. I hope you heal quick and strong. Elmira is only about 10 miles away from me.

Steve
Didn’t we meet at Lindley a couple years ago to look at your passenger foot rests?

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #18 of 25 Old May 13th, 2020, 7:19 am

We met so you could check out the day long seat. I believe you got one. Do you like it after breaking it in?

Steve
post #19 of 25 Old May 13th, 2020, 9:00 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevekremer View Post
We met so you could check out the day long seat. I believe you got one. Do you like it after breaking it in?

Steve
Yes, I like the RDL as does Linda. However, I must say I am not quite as enthusiastic as are many. While it does provide longer duration than the stock seats (probably 400-500 miles vs. 300 - 400 for stock), it also has some downsides. Linda’s seat seems to keep pushing her forward and she has to keep adjusting rearward. My seat is somewhat the same and it is a pain at stops as I have to consciously scoot forward to get my footing solid at a stop. Not a problem while cruising the interstates, but gets very tiring when riding in traffic. So, a net positive overall, but I was not that unhappy with the stock seat once I added a BeadRider and stock was much easier when riding in stop and go traffic which happens all too often in the eastern US.

I was going to send the RDL back last winter for an adjustment, but I quite frankly got tied up with other things and forgot to do it and now am out of the free adjustment window with RDL. Not a big deal and I was somewhat concerned that any adjustments had the possibility of causing more harm than good.

Would I buy an RDL again? Probably, but also probably only if my seats were super bad got damaged as was the case with my bear attack as the cost of an RDL is probably not worth the benefit to me if insurance wasn’t paying half the bill. Not that hard to just make an extra rest break or two each day.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #20 of 25 Old May 13th, 2020, 10:29 am

You might give Jay at RDL a call about the seat adjustment. I've always found him to be very accommodating. I'm sure he will work with you all that he can. Especially after hearing about your Red Green outdoor adventures.

Have you settled on what bike comes after the LT yet? I'm down to either the new Wing or the Grand America with the GT in at third. Still have to test ride to see.
post #21 of 25 Old May 13th, 2020, 11:46 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOGnDAS View Post
You might give Jay at RDL a call about the seat adjustment. I've always found him to be very accommodating. I'm sure he will work with you all that he can. Especially after hearing about your Red Green outdoor adventures.

Have you settled on what bike comes after the LT yet? I'm down to either the new Wing or the Grand America with the GT in at third. Still have to test ride to see.
I suspect they would help me out, just not sure the cost, shipping hassle and downtime is worth it. I think shipping was nearly $100 when I shipped my OEM seat out and took a week each way.

Red Green outdoor adventures? Not sure I’ve heard that one before. ??

No, still on the fence. Probably ride the RT as my next step. I would say, Not knowing how the RT will be, my current pecking order is:

1. R1250RT
2. K1600GA
3. GL1833 with Corbin extra capacity lids
4. Mazda Miata.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #22 of 25 Old May 13th, 2020, 1:30 pm

Garage

Ouch, ouch and ouch. On the good side, it's a good time for isolating and recovering. Take care.

Current: 2000 BMW K1200LT - "Like riding on a rail"
Previous: 1982 Honda Goldwing Interstate - "Gas and Go"
1979 Harley Sportster - "Always broken, always fixing"
1978 Yamaha 500 - "Training wheels"

post #23 of 25 Old May 13th, 2020, 1:46 pm

Red Green is an old parody of the outdoorsman shows. He and his troop are from Canada and they take stupid to a whole new level. Not saying you are. Just trying for a bit of levity.
post #24 of 25 Old May 13th, 2020, 5:03 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOGnDAS View Post
Red Green is an old parody of the outdoorsman shows. He and his troop are from Canada and they take stupid to a whole new level. Not saying you are. Just trying for a bit of levity.
Never heard of that character. Any resemblance is purely coincidental.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #25 of 25 Old May 14th, 2020, 5:11 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I hope you heal fast and get back on quickly. I broke my left leg 2 years ago just below the knee and just started ride last fall. I had arthritis in my ankle and had trouble up shifting ,but I got a heal shifter and all is good again. Listen to the physical therapist and they will get you working again.
happy trails Jim
Voyager likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in