New to the site. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 Old Jan 18th, 2007, 1:08 am Thread Starter

New to the site.

Just wanted to drop in and say hello. A little about me..... I'm a speed freak by heart, but lately I have been looking for a cruiser. I found a K1200LT that has totally stole my heart. It's a 2001 with 6K miles on it. Its been kept in an airconditioned shop and looks like new. I am stoked about this bike. I can't sleep at night just waiting to pick it up. I should take delivery of the bike next week and will post pics of it a soon as I can. Here's a pic of my current bike. It's a Turbo Hayabusa with a GT35R turbo stage III race kit, sporting 550HP at the weheel. Told I was a speed freak...LOL... Pics of the K1200LT coming soon.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old Jan 18th, 2007, 1:10 am Thread Starter

I have a question about the K1200LT. One thing about the bike I'm getting is the ABS light is blinking on and off on the dash. How do I fix this? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by PhantomK12LT; Jan 18th, 2007 at 1:18 am.
post #3 of 36 Old Jan 18th, 2007, 1:23 am

Welcome. The LT will not be "quite" as fast as your current machine but if you keep the rpm's up I'm sure you will be pleasantly suprised.
Flashing ABS - top up the brake fluid resevoir on the right side behind the drivers seat (partially under the pillion seat). It only has to be a little bit low to set off the flashing.
Paul Sayegh from this site sells an incredible repair video that is "must have".
Check back often --- this site has been the best resource I have ever found --and enjoy your ride.
Oh and BTW - if you do find that this site has helped you thru the "rough spots" don't forget to make a donation

post #4 of 36 Old Jan 18th, 2007, 1:41 am Thread Starter

I have ridden the K1200LT once already and I was surprisingly shocked at how well it moved for the size of the bike. I was cruising along trying to get comfortable with all the gadgets and gauges, before I knew it I was cruising at 85 MPH and it felt more like 50MPH. My Busa will go from zero to 200MPH in 8 seconds so there's not much on 2 wheels or 4 for that matter than can shock me in the speed category. I have taken the Busa up to 230MPH to satisfy my need for speed but the BMW is for class and a cruiser. I really want to take a long road trip and the Busa is just to uncomfortable for long trips.

How do I make a contribution to the site? I would love to donate to the cause because believe me, once I get the bike, I will be asking some questions. Most of my question will be searchable so I will do my best not to ask nagging questions that have been answered before.
post #5 of 36 Old Jan 18th, 2007, 1:50 am

Long trips are what they are made for .
As to making that donation -- go to the home page and you will see, in highlighted blue, a link called "to become a supporting member" or "donations".
Hope to see you on the road.
post #6 of 36 Old Jan 18th, 2007, 3:57 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomK12LT
Just wanted to drop in and say hello.]
And Hello to you too. Nice paint job, your own work? or did you get it done for you. There is a thread currently running about custom paint jobs, you might be able to contribute to that. Anyway, welcome and enjoy the bike.

Rgds
Mike

"For those that know, no explanation is needed,
For those that don't, no explanation is possible."

2001 K12 LT Toscana Green AKA Baby Sh*t Green
Kawasaki EN500 - been sold on!
Hardtail Chopper ( Honda CB 500 engine) in a box still!
post #7 of 36 Old Jan 18th, 2007, 4:27 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by myk_edwards
And Hello to you too. Nice paint job, your own work? or did you get it done for you. There is a thread currently running about custom paint jobs, you might be able to contribute to that. Anyway, welcome and enjoy the bike.

Thanks for the welcome. I had the bike painted in Pasadena at Mike Milburns paint shop. The artist was Don Tipton (TIP).
post #8 of 36 Old Jan 18th, 2007, 6:45 am

Hey Terry...welcome to the loony bin. Nice Busa. Have you "officially" been clocked at over 200? Inquiring minds and all. I'm guessing you're buying the LT because the Busa's not the best choice for cross-country trips.

Speed freak here as well. And though I've never had a bike turbo'ed, my ZX-11 was purty quick. Then again, it was my other daily rider and I could ride it for 800 miles a day as well. My current GT don't suck in the speed department...though it tops out in the upper 150s.

Those disco ABS lights may be caused by low fluid. Just an ounce or two low in the rear reservoir, and that'll happen.

Don't be a stranger. You'll find this forum to be one of the most friendly, and most informative forums in cyberspace. Not just for the K1200LT, but all things relating to riding...especially long-distance touring.
post #9 of 36 Old Jan 18th, 2007, 7:27 am

Terry,

Welcome to the site and to the "new" to you LT. When you get a chance scroll down to the Regional boards and check out the South Central board.

Bruce
Rowlett, TX
2010 Gold Wing
'00 Canyon Red - Sold

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 36 Old Jan 18th, 2007, 7:36 am

Hey, welcome to the family. Great looking 'busa. You didn't say whether you rode the LT, but if you didn't. the ABS lights will flash until the bike hits about 3mph, then they go out. If you did ride it, then topping off the fluid may solve the problem.

Stay safe and find a safe place in the garage for that 'busa because once you get the LT it probably won't be seeing much use!

Ray Rau
Brewster, NY
'99 LT - Champagne
post #11 of 36 Old Jan 18th, 2007, 7:49 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderRay
You didn't say whether you rode the LT, but if you didn't. the ABS lights will flash until the bike hits about 3mph, then they go out.
Good point. More specifically however, the ABS lights flash until the front wheel rotates and the ABS system is synced. I can't remember the number of revolutions (or distance) specifically though. It's approximately 20 feet.

A few other tidbits regarding flashing ABS lights. Some have reported that a weak battery can cause this. Others have reported that disconnecting the battery for 30 minutes and reconnecting will reset the error code. And lastly, (worse case scenario) some ABS error codes have to be cleared at the dealer before the lights will stop.
post #12 of 36 Old Jan 18th, 2007, 9:13 am

Quote:
I have a question about the K1200LT. One thing about the bike I'm getting is the ABS light is blinking on and off on the dash. How do I fix this? Thanks in advance.
When you take delivery of your LT, be sure and ask the seller for any documentation (in the form of booklets; Rider's Manual - Service & Tech Manual - Radio Manual, etc) that came with the bike. Good basic information there, which can be followed up with the purchase of a shop manual - either OEM one or one from Clymers.

If this scan prints out readable, here's what the Rider's Manual has to say regarding early model year LT ABS system.

Welcome aboard the forums. You'll find 'em helpful and full of knowledge about this bike, and others in the BMW line-up. Ride safe.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ABS info.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	418.6 KB
ID:	9451  

Last edited by Dick; Jan 18th, 2007 at 9:18 am. Reason: Edit attachment?
post #13 of 36 Old Jan 18th, 2007, 10:36 am

Out of curiosity, just where does one ride in excess of 200 MPH, legally or otherwise?
post #14 of 36 Old Jan 18th, 2007, 11:06 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by juggler
Out of curiosity, just where does one ride in excess of 200 MPH, legally or otherwise?
In your dreams, most likely.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #15 of 36 Old Jan 18th, 2007, 11:14 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by juggler
Clickity Click
post #16 of 36 Old Jan 18th, 2007, 12:01 pm

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
Good point. More specifically however, the ABS lights flash until the front wheel rotates and the ABS system is synced. I can't remember the number of revolutions (or distance) specifically though. It's approximately 20 feet.

A few other tidbits regarding flashing ABS lights. Some have reported that a weak battery can cause this. Others have reported that disconnecting the battery for 30 minutes and reconnecting will reset the error code. And lastly, (worse case scenario) some ABS error codes have to be cleared at the dealer before the lights will stop.
Let's not forget an obvious reason: your pads are running thin, causing the fluid level to go low and trigger the warning lights. Just topping off the reservoir then will NOT solve the issue, so make sure you also check your brake pads, especially since the bike is new to you and you may not know its history (maintenance performed).

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #17 of 36 Old Jan 18th, 2007, 12:46 pm

or.. http://www.rrorr.net/index.html

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #18 of 36 Old Jan 18th, 2007, 1:04 pm

Quote:
My 01 did the flashing ABS lights because of a bad battery. I replaced it and everything has been fine.

Lee Nowell
Black 01, LTC
BMWRA & MOA, AMA, IBA
post #19 of 36 Old Jan 18th, 2007, 8:22 pm Thread Starter

I have not been offically clocked at 200+MPH at a event or anything. My 230MPH run was GPS confirmed. Since then I have up graded the Turbo system and had OD 5th and 6th gears installed. Gearing calculations say it will go 272MPH at redline. I do plan on taking it to the Texas mile this spring and get an official time on the bike. The Texas Mile is held near Goliad TX.

History on the K1200LT. All I know is that the previous owner put a strip of black tape on the dash so the blinking ABS lights would not bother him while he rode the bike. He told me the bike has had battery problems, I think he said it has had 3 maybe 4 batteries so far. I know it was dead as a door knob when I first looked at it. He put a charge on it for 24 hrs, I came back and it started right up, but the ABS lights kept blinking. Alternating left, right, left, right.

You guys are the coolest. You have given me some great ideas to look for and I'm hoping it will be an easy fix. I did alott of searching on this site and It looks like the ABS thing is rather common thing on these bikes. Anyway, Im excited as I can be about the LT.... Should be mine in the next few days.
post #20 of 36 Old Jan 18th, 2007, 9:01 pm Thread Starter

I've noticed some real nice trailer set ups as well. What is the towing capacity for the LT? I'm wondering if it would pull my Busa? I' going to Daytona for bike week, and if the LT will pull the busa, I plan on making an all bike road trip. I should be able to get my tent and enough close in the cases to last 5 days maybe 6.
post #21 of 36 Old Jan 18th, 2007, 9:07 pm

Exclamation

Watch out for 1 thing. If the ABS pump unit is shot, it is a VERY expensive proposition to have it replaced (I think around $2,000 - someone can correct me on that one). So keep this in mind when you negotiate the purchase of the bike. Are you set on that particular LT??? There are quite a few for sale now in the non-riding season (for many people), and you should be able to find one in mint condition. Just my $.02.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #22 of 36 Old Jan 18th, 2007, 9:13 pm

Terry, I think it would be better to refer to your new LT as a "tourer", not a "cruiser". In the current wonderful world of motorcycling, a "cruiser" refers to a very different kind of bike. Welcome!

- Bob

Cowboy Bob Menton

Greenville SC USA
'07 K1200GT, '83 R80S (nee '83 R80RT)
'86 Honda CH-250 scooter (original owner)
"You can never escape the FOG (Fast Old Guys)"
post #23 of 36 Old Jan 18th, 2007, 9:23 pm

Quote:
I do plan on taking it to the Texas mile this spring and get an official time on the bike. The Texas Mile is held near Goliad TX.
The Texas Mile is held just outside of Goliad and you get to sit in the sun all day. Bring your own shade and a chair. There are some REALLY neat things blasting down the strip. It can get LOUD.

Click for info.

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #24 of 36 Old Jan 18th, 2007, 9:25 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy_gg
Watch out for 1 thing. If the ABS pump unit is shot, it is a VERY expensive proposition to have it replaced (I think around $2,000 - someone can correct me on that one). So keep this in mind when you negotiate the purchase of the bike. Are you set on that particular LT??? There are quite a few for sale now in the non-riding season (for many people), and you should be able to find one in mint condition. Just my $.02.

I'd have to say that I am set on this particular LT because it's the only one I have seen for sale in my area. With only 6K miles on it and the price at 9K, I'm thinking it's a good deal. The only thing that has me worried is will the ABS flashing keep me from getting the bike inspected? If the ABS costs me 2K to fix, I'll just ride without ABS.

Tourer it is..
post #25 of 36 Old Jan 18th, 2007, 10:22 pm

Quote:
I'd have to say that I am set on this particular LT because it's the only one I have seen for sale in my area. With only 6K miles on it and the price at 9K, I'm thinking it's a good deal. The only thing that has me worried is will the ABS flashing keep me from getting the bike inspected? If the ABS costs me 2K to fix, I'll just ride without ABS.

Tourer it is..
I would imagine that there are several in the Houston area for sale, most of which probably do not have that cloud of doubt hanging over them. Check eBay, check Cycle Trader, check Craigslist, etc.

If you have your heart set on that particular bike for some reason, at least have it checked out so you know for sure what you are getting into.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #26 of 36 Old Jan 18th, 2007, 11:46 pm Thread Starter

Talking with the owner on several occasions and seeing the bike, it looks like he took good care of it. The only thing I can see being an Issue is the ABS problem. I will add some brake fluid to it and see if that will fix it. If not, I may ask the owner if he minds if I take the bike to the dealer and have the ABS system checked out. If it has to be replaced I will try to negotiate the price down some, especially if the ABS system costs 2K.
post #27 of 36 Old Jan 19th, 2007, 12:55 pm

Quote:
Talking with the owner on several occasions and seeing the bike, it looks like he took good care of it. The only thing I can see being an Issue is the ABS problem. I will add some brake fluid to it and see if that will fix it. If not, I may ask the owner if he minds if I take the bike to the dealer and have the ABS system checked out. If it has to be replaced I will try to negotiate the price down some, especially if the ABS system costs 2K.
First and foremost, Welcome to the Asylum. The inmates are in charge and we are having a good time.

One thing that I have noticed in all the postings about adding fluid to the rear resivoir, is that no one else has either picked up or mentioned that your year model is a 2001. If memory serves me correctly, this is an ABS II equiped unit and not an Integral ABS unit. You can tell by looking at the calipers, Brembo = ABS II and BWM = Integral. If that is the case, then adding fluid to the rear resivior will not fix the blinking, read wigwag, lights. The rear resivoir unit on an ABS II unit DOES NOT have a sensor to read the fluid level.

You also stated that the individual you are purchasing from has put 3 or 4 batteries in the bike, because they would not hold a charge. That for me would be a concern. If he has had that kind of electrical problem, then the ABS issue could be from a low battery voltage level and set in the bikes computer. If that is the case, then you may have to take it to the dealer to get it reset.

I think I know who the owner of this bike is and he is or has been a member of this board, as I have seen his posts complaining about this exact problem from the Houston area. Fortunately for him, I can't remember his user ID.

While the mileage and price is good and as much as your heart is set on this single machine, I think you are making a horrible mistake.

As for adding a bike trailer and towing the 'Busa to Daytona, another bad idea.

JM2CW YMMV

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #28 of 36 Old Jan 19th, 2007, 8:01 pm

Quote:
The only thing that has me worried is will the ABS flashing keep me from getting the bike inspected? If the ABS costs me 2K to fix, I'll just ride without ABS.
I wouldn't do that. The ABS on this bike is one of its best features and can really save your bacon. You will be a firm believer if you ever need to do a hard brake and swerve, brake on a slippery surface, etc, etc.

The fact that the previous put tape over the indicators is a sound indication that he knows the ABS controller is bad. And since you weren't explicitly told the controller is bad, it seems downright dishonest. I think you should think twice about purchasing this bike. And that was a good catch by Steve. I don't know what's up with 3 or 4 batteries on this bike, but that can't be a good sign.

The LT is an incredible touring bike and can eat up long distance rides like nobody's business. Do yourself a favor, and get a good one.

Good luck!
-joel
post #29 of 36 Old Jan 19th, 2007, 8:41 pm

A friend of mine had the same problem with a continually blinking ABS indicator on a 2001 LT he was considering purchasing. I assume the ABS light continues to blink after the bike has been ridden for some distance. Try this: turn the key to the on position but do not start the bike; now twist the throttle to the fully open position and then release it (do this 3 times in relatively quick succession). Now turn the key to the off position and wait 5-10 seconds. Now turn the key to the on position, press the starter button to start the engine, engage the transmission and take a ride. The ABS light should stop blinking within a hundred yards of the bike beginning forward motion. My friend did purchase the 2001 LT after this procedure cured the problem. I also rode the bike to determine if any braking problems existed as we were both concerned with the blinking ABS indicator. The brakes operated flawlessly before and after we completed the above procedure. If the brakes on your prospective purchase do not operate correctly, the ABS light may be a legitimate warning of a more serious problem. There is a reason the Motronic is referred to as the "Moronic" by several members of this forum; it often gives false information and needs to be reset. I have a 2000 LT and experienced the continual flashing of the ABS indicator when I my battery was too weak to start the bike. I coasted down a gradual grade, put the bike in 2nd gear and released the clutch to get her started. This action resulted in the bike travelling (and the front wheel rotating) far enough to screw-up the "Moronic's reading of the ABS sensor. The flashing ABS light continued to flash for several miles until out of frustration and ignorance I decided to stop, turn off the engine, turn the key to the "on" position, twist the throttle 3 times, and restart the engine. Upon resuming my ride, the ABS light stopped flashing within 200 feet of forward motion. Try the procedure; if it doesn't work the bike may have other brake issues.
post #30 of 36 Old Jan 21st, 2007, 12:40 am

Also.. it will flash until the ABS is satisfied with the input from the wheels.

One thing on my LT (05) I must be careful to NOT activate the front or rear brake until the bike is started. After starting I can drive a few feet and the ABS light will go off and the ABS works great...

So, even though for decades I would hole the front brake while starting the bike, I no longer do so.. and no problemo... best wishes..

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #31 of 36 Old Jan 21st, 2007, 8:06 am

Channing - this must be somethang unique to the newer model year LTs. I've 'got' to hold the brake on Toad when starting from my driveway. It slopes down to the street; I don't wanna do the mosquito abatement thang in the garage, so we roll out to the driveway; hit the brakes and start ole Toad right up. Time we get to the street, the ABS unit clunks and the blinkies are gone and away we ride. JM2CW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfell
Also.. it will flash until the ABS is satisfied with the input from the wheels.

One thing on my LT (05) I must be careful to NOT activate the front or rear brake until the bike is started. After starting I can drive a few feet and the ABS light will go off and the ABS works great...

So, even though for decades I would hole the front brake while starting the bike, I no longer do so.. and no problemo... best wishes..
post #32 of 36 Old Jan 21st, 2007, 9:57 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
Channing - this must be somethang unique to the newer model year LTs. I've 'got' to hold the brake on Toad when starting from my driveway. It slopes down to the street; I don't wanna do the mosquito abatement thang in the garage, so we roll out to the driveway; hit the brakes and start ole Toad right up. Time we get to the street, the ABS unit clunks and the blinkies are gone and away we ride. JM2CW.
Same here Chan I roll Lola outa da garage hold the front brake and start her up. Never had a problem. Must be that your Misty has linked brakes and ours don't

Stevie Shreeve
post #33 of 36 Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 4:49 pm Thread Starter

As far as the battery thing goes. I assume the battery issue is due to lack of use. I'm understanding that the bike sits for months on end witout being started, so i'm thinking that this may be the cause of the freaquent battery changes. The guy that has the bike is holding the bike for the owner. The guy that is holding the bike told me they changed the battery twice thinking they had a bad battery because when he tried to to start it, the bat was always dead. But once again, it may have been two or three months since the last time it had been started. I have learned from this site that if the K1200LT sits for weeks without having it on a battery tender, that the bike will drain the battery due to all the electronics.

I want to thank all of you for your input on this matter. I will ask the owner if he will allow me to take the bike to the dealer and have the ABS system looked at before I give him the money. If I find that the ABS system needs extensive repair, I will ask him if he is willing to negotiate the price.

Off topic just a bit. Has anyone ever heard of a swift code? It has something to do with a wire transfer. I sold some stocks to buy the K1200LT. The funds are coming from France. The Frace bank wants a "Swift code" to make the wire transfer, but my Credit Union does not have a swift code, so the money is being sent to me Via snail mail from France. This will take a couple of weeks at best, so maybe this will give me time to talk with the owner and get the bike checked out.

I will try the key on/ motor off and cycle the throttle 3 times and ride it to see if this will work. I can say that when I test rode the bike that the brakes felt very smooth. I rode the bike for about 5 to 8 miles with no issues.

More to come.....
post #34 of 36 Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 7:13 pm

Sounds like Joe may have some competition with speed and all!

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

post #35 of 36 Old Jan 24th, 2007, 6:13 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkpr1998
Sounds like Joe may have some competition with speed and all!

WHat does Joe have as a second bike?
post #36 of 36 Old Jan 26th, 2007, 8:13 am

Hey, if you are still looking, I just saw a post of a 2002 for sale in the Houston area here in the classified section. Looks like a wonderful bike, only 13500 miles on it. jrlakin

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in