New owner - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 4Likes
  • 2 Post By Joseph David
  • 1 Post By SHIfTHEAD
  • 1 Post By imst0ked

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Apr 10th, 2020, 1:20 am Thread Starter

Hello!!! My name is Joe. I bought my first BMW. I've owned many bike over the years. From dual sport to goldwing to Kawasaki concourse to 1 yr old Harley elecra glide to Burgman.... I've had them all. I've always had my eye on the k1200lt. I got it really cheap. It's a 99 everything works as far as gadgets. I noticed the rear end bounces alot so I think the rear shock is junk and I need new seat covers. I appreciate any input and thank you all for your patience
kbob12 and SHIfTHEAD like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Apr 10th, 2020, 8:17 am

Re: New owner

Welcome to the forum Joe, and congrats on picking up a great bike. You can get more info than you can need on this site-including the questions that you ask. Use the search to find help on shocks/new springs/after market shocks/etc. If you are like many of us with lots of time now, you can work your way through so many helpful videos, posts, etc. The wise counsel of many on this site will help you.

I had great help on the seat covers, seat rebuild from a small private company in Indiana called Astech seats. They shaped my seat, rebuilt it so I can flat foot the bike at stops, and they look perfect. I'm from WI and drove there and waited while they worked-good folks. But you can also pick up a set on Ebay=make sure you get seats that fit yours-the 05 and later models use a slightly different seat.

Tell us where you are located, and you may well be near someone who could help

Enjoy the bike, take your time to update all the service and get to know it while we are locked down.

2000 LT 213K miles
2010 RT 35K miles
2007 RT P 42,000 miles SOLD
1982 vision 550 Yamaha SOLD
1964 Vespa 175 w/sidecar (homemade by neighbor) SOLD
1966 Honda CL77 (2016-17 winter project) As of August 16, the Honda is running! First time in 42 years. Going to be a sweet little around town bike. SOLD,
Four corner SCMA ride 2013
All Yooper SS1000K, 6/17/17, 6/19
48 state/12 day ride 2016
Great Lakes Challenge, 2011
2018 Fall Classic SS1000 Four-Corners
post #3 of 5 Old Apr 10th, 2020, 9:41 am

These are great bikes Joe, just don't be afraid to work on them yourself. Once you remove the bodywork a couple times that jigsaw puzzle becomes a breeze to get off in like 20 mins. I too have owned many a bike through the years and the LT is by far the best bike (above 5 mph) I've ever owned for any kind of tarmac riding. They're big and heavy, but it becomes a nimble sport bike above parking lot speeds. I still don't understand the German wizardry that makes this possible.
davebullock likes this.

post #4 of 5 Old Apr 10th, 2020, 11:59 am
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

Welcome, Joe-if everything works as far as gadgets... you are already ahead of the game for a '99! Congratulations!

This is a great forum for information! So many people have helped me get back on the road... now, I am waiting like most of us for the current pandemic to end to get out and ride the beast! Be sure to change out your brake lines if they are original. Hopefully, the previous owner has all the service records and you just need to replace your shock-or, perhaps bleed the system, and repair your seat. Good luck!

(I bought a '00 a few years back and I had to tear apart and repair a lot to get it running and on the road. I still don't have the cruise control working!)

Bob
Covina, CA
2000 K1200LTI Champagne

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 Old Apr 10th, 2020, 12:50 pm

Garage

Bob, have you gone thru Sailor's diagnostic tips on the cruise control? Search for "K1200RS - Cruise control troubleshooting tutorial" on this site.
SHIfTHEAD likes this.

Current: 2000 BMW K1200LT - "Like riding on a rail"
Previous: 1982 Honda Goldwing Interstate - "Gas and Go"
1979 Harley Sportster - "Always broken, always fixing"
1978 Yamaha 500 - "Training wheels"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in