No Power to Radio - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By jzeiler
  • 2 Post By Voyager
  • 1 Post By djmellor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Apr 5th, 2020, 6:06 pm Thread Starter

Cool No Power to Radio

2005 K1200LT w/ radio/CD/CD changer. Three channels failed, so I sent it to Chris Chenard to fix. He replaced the IC amplifier chip, tested fine. I re-installed, removing the unused GPS harness while I was under the sting ray. (That seems completely unrelated, I believe.)

Upon ignition, display shows "Radio." Bike starts fine. Radio controller doesn't seem to have power, however. Pushing "ON" button does nothing. No lights on controller. No CD display on dash.

I've removed & reinstalled a couple of times. All the connectors seem fine. Secure. No corrosion or bent pins. Fuse on back of radio is fine. Fuse 4 for radio & map light: Map light works, so I assume that fuse is fine.

Tried disconnecting battery for an hour. Still hasn't healed.

I'm stumped. Any ideas?

-Dean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Apr 5th, 2020, 8:28 pm

Re: No Power to Radio

Do you have the clymer manual? It has the schematics for the radio wiring.

Have you tried inserting a disc to see if it will load it?

Last edited by 08ltcolorado; Apr 5th, 2020 at 8:32 pm. Reason: typo
post #3 of 12 Old Apr 5th, 2020, 9:29 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Could be one of the three connectors up on the front left side of the stingray, may not have fully seated the one that provides power.
djmellor likes this.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 114 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 Old Apr 6th, 2020, 1:02 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler View Post
Could be one of the three connectors up on the front left side of the stingray, may not have fully seated the one that provides power.
I am trying to remember if all of the connectors are unique. It has been a while since I had the stingray off. I was almost thinking that at least two of the connectors were the same and could thus be swapped, but that may be just faulty memory.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 12 Old Apr 6th, 2020, 2:23 pm Thread Starter

Cool Re: No Power to Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
I am trying to remember if all of the connectors are unique. It has been a while since I had the stingray off. I was almost thinking that at least two of the connectors were the same and could thus be swapped, but that may be just faulty memory.
I marked them, so it's not that. Chris thinks it may be poor ground (which happened mysteriously in the interim?) I have a pin-out diagram for back of radio. Will test for power and ground...

Thanks!
post #6 of 12 Old Apr 7th, 2020, 5:13 pm

In the group of three connectors on the left of the bike, nearest the dash cover, look for the connector closest to the center of the bike. I believe it has grey on it. My harness had a break in the ibus wire going to this plug, and it was causing me quite a headache. I just ran new wires to it.

There are two accessory power connectors near that. They are identical three pin female connectors. This is where the CB and NAV harnesses integrate. So if you find those harnesses have power, you can take it directly from there.

I would probably go the fuse box route so as to completely disconnect the faulty wires that may cause issues down the road. You'll need to jumper in to the instrument cluster harness, and to the ibus (ehcs controller and diag plug) to completely replace the wiring.
post #7 of 12 Old Apr 7th, 2020, 10:42 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08ltcolorado View Post
In the group of three connectors on the left of the bike, nearest the dash cover, look for the connector closest to the center of the bike. I believe it has grey on it. My harness had a break in the ibus wire going to this plug, and it was causing me quite a headache. I just ran new wires to it.

There are two accessory power connectors near that. They are identical three pin female connectors. This is where the CB and NAV harnesses integrate. So if you find those harnesses have power, you can take it directly from there.

I would probably go the fuse box route so as to completely disconnect the faulty wires that may cause issues down the road. You'll need to jumper in to the instrument cluster harness, and to the ibus (ehcs controller and diag plug) to completely replace the wiring.
Thanks for that. The puzzling thing is that I had no issues in the past. Wiring insulation isn't brittle. Can't imagine what could be causing this.
post #8 of 12 Old Apr 8th, 2020, 12:20 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmellor View Post
Thanks for that. The puzzling thing is that I had no issues in the past. Wiring insulation isn't brittle. Can't imagine what could be causing this.
I'm not sure what caused the issue with my harness outside of something getting smashed while fixing something else. I would assume that other wires are probably also damaged but just not showing up as a problem yet.

I was putting my bike back together and took this photo of the connectors. Hope it comes in handy. I can remove the tupperware in 5 minutes now!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1164.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	370.1 KB
ID:	156419  
post #9 of 12 Old Apr 11th, 2020, 7:45 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
I'm not sure what caused the issue with my harness outside of something getting smashed while fixing something else. I would assume that other wires are probably also damaged but just not showing up as a problem yet.

I was putting my bike back together and took this photo of the connectors. Hope it comes in handy. I can remove the tupperware in 5 minutes now!
Thanks for that. I checked everything except unwinding the wiring harness. Even looked at the board inside the top controller box (with the ON button, etc.) I had power and ground at the radio.

Put it back together one-more-time. Lights, ignition! It works now.

Apparently operator error. Doh! Seems like the connector to the top controller was not completely seated. Now to button everything up and go for a ride...
post #10 of 12 Old Apr 11th, 2020, 11:04 pm

Sometimes I wish I didn't screw up repair jobs often. But then I remember, I'd never learn anything that way. Glad it's working now!
post #11 of 12 Old Apr 12th, 2020, 9:14 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Sometimes I wish I didn't screw up repair jobs often. But then I remember, I'd never learn anything that way. Glad it's working now!
Working on an LT will grow hair on your chest. It is almost as good as strong, black coffee.
djmellor and kbob12 like this.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #12 of 12 Old Apr 12th, 2020, 5:20 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
Working on an LT will grow hair on your chest. It is almost as good as strong, black coffee.
Happy Easter everyone! If that's not enough to make you believe in miracles, I got all the tupperware back on with EXACTLY the right number of fasteners!

Thanks to Chris Chenard for a great fix and very rapid turn-around, plus helping me find my error on re-install.
Voyager likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in