Abs - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old Jan 17th, 2007, 8:56 pm Thread Starter

Abs

2000 K 1200LT previous owner had removed the ABS warning light bulbs as they indicated a fault, I have not been able to find the problem, today I removed the ABS valve and took it apart--major job-- WARNING-- the valve has 4 big high tension springs inside and can seriously hurt you when the last of the bolts are removed and the coil springs expand, more like an explosion.
Question---Can the ABS be removed and the brakes lines connected directly from Master cylinders to calipers? The bike only had 1911 miles on it when I bought it in 2005 and I do not think the fluid had ever been changed, the inside of the abs valve had some corrosion but from what I saw not enough to cause failure.
Sonny

Sonny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old Jan 18th, 2007, 2:08 pm

Sonny, That's a really interesting question that I will immediately state I don't know the answer to but any good BMW shop can. I heartly remommend BMW of Atlanta in Merietta, GA. I take mine there from Bham due to the excellent work and great attitude.

I'm guessing it can be removed since the 2000 model has the system prior to the integral system in place now. My 2003 has the integral power brakes and is a totally different type of system. On mine, the ABS system cannot be disconnected unless you are willing to ride without brakes! This at least is as it was explained to me by a BMW mechanic in Atlanta.

Tom

2003 R1150RT, Black Beauty--this is one sexy bike!
1999 R1100GSA, Does everything well, what else can one say?
1992 K75SA, If this engine had been 4-valve instead of 2, it would be the smoothest BMW ever built!
1978 R100S, my first and favorite BMW.
1976 R75/6, A 30 year old gentlemen I still love to take out for a Sunday ride.
post #3 of 3 Old Jan 20th, 2007, 2:50 am

Greetings Sonny.

My '99 LT also has had the ABS dash warning lights removed by the previous owner. I had a BMW tech trace the problem to both, yes both ABS wheel sensors. I replaced them with two operating sensors I picked up from the Beamerboneyard and all is well again.

Let me know how you get on.

Kindest regards

Paul Harrington
Australia

[email protected]

1999 K1200LT Champagne "Bismarck"
1983 base K100 "Bavarian Belle"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in