shinko tires - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By jzeiler
  • 1 Post By meese

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Apr 2nd, 2020, 6:13 pm Thread Starter

Question shinko tires

Does Shinko make tires that work on a 1999 K1200LT? And can you run radials?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Apr 2nd, 2020, 8:32 pm

Re: shinko tires

Not sure about the K1200LT but I ran Shinko Raven 009's on my FJR for about 4,000 miles before I sold the bike. They were wearing very nicely and handled well. I commute and ride a fair amount of 2up and never had a complaint. I would not be afraid to run them on the RT. Not a huge fan of the tread pattern, but at the time, I got the set delivered for $150 and mounted and balanced for another $40. At $190 total investment, it was hard to pass up giving them a try.

But Bridgestone BattLax T31 GTs have a rebate right now which puts them almost in that same price range as the current Shinko price with no rebate.

2016 R1200RT
2011 Yamaha FJR (sold)
2016 Yamaha Super Tenere ES (sold)
2008 Yamaha Zuma (wife's ride but I maintain)
post #3 of 11 Old Apr 2nd, 2020, 9:15 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Yes and Yes. You can run radials on the 99-2004 LT and Shinko makes a 777 tire that is load rated for the LT. 160/70 B17 79V

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 114 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 Old Apr 2nd, 2020, 9:16 pm

I run a Shinko 777HD on the rear.
post #5 of 11 Old Apr 2nd, 2020, 9:54 pm

When I bought my bike it had Michelin Pilot Road 4 front and rear. The tread was like new so I persisted with them, until I slipped sideways in a bend more than once.
I now have Bridgestone front and rear. I have a Battlecruise H50 on the rear and a Battlax Sport touring T 31 F on the front. The difference is amazing. I can run over as many tar snakes and joins in the road surface as I like and you don't even feel that they are there, not even a slight deviation off line. I never realised just how flimsy the Pilot 4 is in it's construction.
post #6 of 11 Old Apr 3rd, 2020, 12:52 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazza View Post
I now have Bridgestone front and rear. I have a Battlecruise H50 on the rear
I would not run that tire on my LT as it is not load rated (73V vs. 79V) for it and from the BS web site it can be run on a tube type rim.

"160/70B17 M/C 73V TL 4.50 3.75~5.00 656 158"
Voyager likes this.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 114 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 11 Old Apr 3rd, 2020, 10:47 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler View Post
I would not run that tire on my LT as it is not load rated (73V vs. 79V) for it and from the BS web site it can be run on a tube type rim.

"160/70B17 M/C 73V TL 4.50 3.75~5.00 656 158"

Ok so a 79 V tyre is rated at 437 kg at 210 km/h
A 73 V tyre is rated at 365 kg at 190 km/h
The LT curb weight is 387 kg and has a max weight with two up and luggage at 600 kg. So two up with luggage you have already exceeded the theoretical rating of the 79 V
My understanding of the V rating is that relates to the top speed , as in that is the max weight you should carry if travelling at the top speed.
Now bearing in mind that the weight of the motorcycle increases with centrifugal force as we go through a corner I doubt that any of us is approaching any where near the top speed rating in a corner.
I long ago removed my top box thereby saving 15 kg so I have reduced my curb weight to 372 kg. I weigh 87 kg, mostly ride solo, and the heaviest thing I have carried any distance is a couple of pair of pants, a couple of shirts, and toiletries and I did all that on the Michelins that were 69 V rated tyres. ( I knew no better at the time, ignorance is bliss )
When I bought the LT I did so because I wanted a big comfortable bike that I could enjoy riding sedately, I have exited my 5th decade and my days of sports bike riding are well behind me.
I really don't think I'm in any danger of sudden tyre failure.
post #8 of 11 Old Apr 4th, 2020, 8:51 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazza View Post
Ok so a 79 V tyre is rated at 437 kg at 210 km/h
A 73 V tyre is rated at 365 kg at 190 km/h
The LT curb weight is 387 kg and has a max weight with two up and luggage at 600 kg. So two up with luggage you have already exceeded the theoretical rating of the 79 V
My understanding of the V rating is that relates to the top speed , as in that is the max weight you should carry if travelling at the top speed.
Now bearing in mind that the weight of the motorcycle increases with centrifugal force as we go through a corner I doubt that any of us is approaching any where near the top speed rating in a corner.
I long ago removed my top box thereby saving 15 kg so I have reduced my curb weight to 372 kg. I weigh 87 kg, mostly ride solo, and the heaviest thing I have carried any distance is a couple of pair of pants, a couple of shirts, and toiletries and I did all that on the Michelins that were 69 V rated tyres. ( I knew no better at the time, ignorance is bliss )
When I bought the LT I did so because I wanted a big comfortable bike that I could enjoy riding sedately, I have exited my 5th decade and my days of sports bike riding are well behind me.
I really don't think I'm in any danger of sudden tyre failure.
It is unlikely that a 600 kg LT has more than 437 kg on the rear tire (73% on the rear). However, it is much more likely that you will get at or above 365 kg on the rear when loaded to gross as that is only 61% on the rear and with a passenger and weight in the cases all over or behind the rear tire that is well within reason.

And, as I have stated before, often the issue with tires is related to dynamic issues at speed and when disturbed by hitting a bump or such off-center on the front tire. There is no direct metric for this, but it generally is related to tire stiffness. Often, a given bike will have tires specified that have speed ratings well above the top speed of the bike. This very likely has nothing to do with speed and everything to do with getting a tire that is stiff enough to avoid a dynamic handling issue that was encountered during testing.

Bottom line, if the manufacturer specifies a tire that is of a certain construction (radial vs bias) or a certain load or speed range, even if it seems to be overkill based on the weight and top speed of the bike, there likely is a good reason for that which was discovered in testing. If you choose a lesser tire, even if it matches the weight or actual speed of the bike, you are risking a handling issue such as a tank slapper. And with the LT, it’s demands on the rear tire are so extreme that even weight and speed rating wasn’t enough and special REINForced tires are required.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

Last edited by Voyager; Apr 4th, 2020 at 11:36 am.
post #9 of 11 Old Apr 4th, 2020, 11:33 am
IBR# 366

Garage

I agree with everything Voyager says.

You can probably get away with a tire that doesn't quite meet the LT's rigid specs, but you just never know when you might need that extra safety margin.

Tires and brakes simply aren't worth cheaping out on...
mondrage likes this.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #10 of 11 Old Apr 5th, 2020, 9:28 am

Been rolling on a Shinko 777 rear and Bstone front for a little while now. Used to use radials exclusively but I think I like the bias tires a bit better. They seem to turn in quicker for me. Haven't had them long enough to compare treadlife but the Shinko is less expensive than other tires and if you can install them yourself then it works out.

Dave
-2000 K1200LT
-------------------------------
Life's too short to ride ugly motorcycles
post #11 of 11 Old Apr 9th, 2020, 11:28 am

My experience with the Shinko is that it wears out very quickly. My bike came with a new set installed. I had 2000 highway miles on the Shinko and it was pretty much squared off. I replaced them with Metzeler ME880, which apparently wears out a lot faster than the newer ME888, and have double the miles but nowhere near the wear. I drive 95% highway at 70-80mph.

Here are some photos:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	shinko.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	156471   Click image for larger version

Name:	metzeler me880.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	156473  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in