• 1 Post By Morley
  • 2 Post By Voyager
  • 2 Post By bmwcoolk1200
  • 1 Post By Voyager
  • 1 Post By beech

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 Old Mar 27th, 2020, 10:12 pm Thread Starter

In tank fuel hose

After reviving my gummed up fuel pump I inspected the fuel hoses and the in tank hoses were shot. BMW wants $55 for the U shaped hose and if you can find it SAE30R10 hose is about $15 a foot and might kink if you bend it in a U.
A place I deal with for automotive high performance fuel systems (Racetronix) sells a 4" black PTFE corrugated "hose" for in tank use for about $3.50. Next time you need that hose, give them a try

Last edited by Morley; Mar 28th, 2020 at 4:24 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old Mar 27th, 2020, 11:16 pm

Re: In tank fuel hose

Make sure that hose is rated for fuel immersion. Lots of high pressure hose is not. Use the correct clamps also. Here is a place you can buy the correct equipment for reasonable prices.
https://www.euromotoelectrics.com/category-s/1959.htm
Painterman likes this.

Beech
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I change your tires $50, you buy them on the web.
K13S, S1000R (gone through a few GS's & RT's)
post #3 of 29 Old Mar 28th, 2020, 1:08 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morley View Post
After reviving my gummed up fuel pump I inspected the fuel hoses and the in tank hoses were shot. BMW wants $55 for the U shaped hose and if you can find it SAE30R10 hose is about $15 a foot and might kink if you bend it in a U.
I place I deal with for automotive high performance fuel systems (Racetronix) sells a 4" black PTFE corrugated "hose" for in tank use for about $3.50. Next time you need that hose, give them a try
I'm in the process of pulling the fuel tank and installing a Stainless U fitting with barbed ends. No more fear of split u hose.

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
1999 Suzuki Intruder VL1500LC. Betty Lou.
I'm a 4 percenter.

post #4 of 29 Old Mar 28th, 2020, 4:23 am Thread Starter

Umm Of course they are rated for immersion...this is the same type of hose used in the all in one pump/sender/ filter units newer cars employ
beech likes this.
post #5 of 29 Old Mar 28th, 2020, 7:15 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morley View Post
A place I deal with for automotive high performance fuel systems (Racetronix) sells a 4" black PTFE corrugated "hose" for in tank use for about $3.50. Next time you need that hose, give them a try
Looks like they have a good range of offerings at good prices, though I didn’t check shipping cost. The later often trumps on small items. I did not see where this said it was PTFE, it just said “high tech plastic.” Most fuel hose I have seen is nylon, but either material has very good gas and alcohol tolerance. It is good to have additional sources, but I still have a spare hose from either BBY or EME and I don’t expect to ever need another.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 29 Old Mar 28th, 2020, 5:47 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
Looks like they have a good range of offerings at good prices, though I didn’t check shipping cost. The later often trumps on small items. I did not see where this said it was PTFE, it just said “high tech plastic.” Most fuel hose I have seen is nylon, but either material has very good gas and alcohol tolerance. It is good to have additional sources, but I still have a spare hose from either BBY or EME and I don’t expect to ever need another.
Not absolutely sure it is PTFE, most places list that type of hose as PTFE. Shipping will be a problem, they have a $25 minimum order policy, then shipping is about $12. The best price I found for SAE30R10 hose was $15 a foot plus shipping. I ordered 3 of those hoses, a sock and some clamps to get the $25 minimum. If enough people want those hoses one could just do a bulk purchase and then send them out individually for the price of a stamp.
These hoses are rated to about 100PSI and won't degrade from fuel, no matter what kind of fuel you use
post #7 of 29 Old Apr 21st, 2020, 8:42 pm

I replaced mine over two years ago with hose purchased from UAP NAPA it was described as for fuel immersion. Had no problems so far but bike has say for two years gas in it and started every time no issues. Last time was yesterday morning when I moved her to start brake lines and rear rotor replacement. I’ll take it out now the tanks drained off and sitting on the garage floor and get back to you all with pics. I would love to hear from anyone that can offer up a permanent fix whilst she’s all apart. Some people I hear have brought the filter to the outside of the tank leaving only the pump in their. Would that not be a better option???

BMWMOA
Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly

2007 K1200LT Storm Grey metallic
Uni Go Trailer
post #8 of 29 Old Apr 22nd, 2020, 7:11 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chayside View Post
I replaced mine over two years ago with hose purchased from UAP NAPA it was described as for fuel immersion. Had no problems so far but bike has say for two years gas in it and started every time no issues. Last time was yesterday morning when I moved her to start brake lines and rear rotor replacement. I’ll take it out now the tanks drained off and sitting on the garage floor and get back to you all with pics. I would love to hear from anyone that can offer up a permanent fix whilst she’s all apart. Some people I hear have brought the filter to the outside of the tank leaving only the pump in their. Would that not be a better option???
I replaced my OEM internal hoses with the corrugated nylon hose as sold by BBY and I think EME and probably others. I consider that a permanent solution. I think the fuel filter is just fine inside the tank. Putting it outside is just adding more connections to leak and be a fire hazard and it takes up space that is already tight on an LT. I see no real benefit to putting it externally given that you don’t really need to change it all that often unless you have really crappy gas. I am going 48K on mine with no issues. Since you have to remove the tank to change the air filter anyway, changing the fuel filter at that time isn’t a big deal, and you can do it without changing the tank if necessary.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #9 of 29 Old Apr 24th, 2020, 4:26 am

Yeah I guess now that you mention it there is enough going on with these bikes that space is a premium and the extra joints in the fuel line would be like a fuse waiting to be lit. I’ll still remove the unit and see how the UAP NAPA hose is holding out. You mentioned BBY or EME are those outlets in the USA

BMWMOA

Uni Go Trailer
post #10 of 29 Old Apr 24th, 2020, 4:31 am

Here is a link to what UAP NAPA sells for submersible fuel hose. Hope it helps

http://www.napabeltshose.com/~/media...hose.pdf?la=en

BMWMOA

Uni Go Trailer
post #11 of 29 Old Apr 24th, 2020, 12:20 pm

Looks like this is the year of bad in-tank hose failure. I tried taking the bike out of hibernation this morning and I could here the cavitation. Sure enough, it's gurgling pretty good. So now I have another project.

Scott and Theresa
Munising, MI
2004 K1200LT Black
2014 Kawasaki KLR650

post #12 of 29 Old Apr 24th, 2020, 12:46 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Yeah I guess now that you mention it there is enough going on with these bikes that space is a premium and the extra joints in the fuel line would be like a fuse waiting to be lit. I’ll still remove the unit and see how the UAP NAPA hose is holding out. You mentioned BBY or EME are those outlets in the USA
Yes, I think both are USA based, but I suspect similar parts are available elsewhere as the corrugated nylon lines come as OEM on Ducatis and KTMs I believe.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #13 of 29 Old Apr 24th, 2020, 12:47 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Here is a link to what UAP NAPA sells for submersible fuel hose. Hope it helps

The problem is the sharp bend required in the u-hose. The BMW hose is preformed. I am not sure if the NAPA hose was bent that tight if would not kink from stress at some point in the future.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #14 of 29 Old Apr 24th, 2020, 5:50 pm

I’ll take a pic here over the weekend and post it of the Napa hose that’s been in the tank now for over two years. The bikes stripped down tank is off and empty so it’s no big deal

BMWMOA

Uni Go Trailer
post #15 of 29 Old Apr 24th, 2020, 9:33 pm

I wonder if BBY stands for Beemer Bone Yard ??? EME has got me baffled 🤯

BMWMOA

Uni Go Trailer
post #16 of 29 Old Apr 25th, 2020, 9:37 am

Garage

EME=Euro Moto Electrics. I just received a set a couple of weeks ago. Haven't replaced it yet. They are in Denver.

Last edited by DennyG+; Apr 25th, 2020 at 10:03 am.
post #17 of 29 Old Apr 25th, 2020, 11:13 am
Lifetime Supporter

Munmi - fortunately, you can pull the pump assembly with the bike on the side stand without a full undressing. Might as well change that filter too.

Kim Thomson
Motorcycle Cigar Smoker
05 K1200LT - The Golden Rocket Ship
91 K100RS - The White Stallion
85 K100 Standard - Big Red
79 R65 - "The Bee" is a buzzin' again!
06 525i - Premium, Sport, Comfort, Xenons
01 E320 4matic

Gone, but not forgotten...
02 K1200LTC - Big Blue (accident at 40k)
88 K100RT - Chocolate (it was brown, melted - fire)
85 K100RT - (wore out)
82 Yamaha Vision - (electrics)
72 Yamaha R5C 350 - (broke trans)
post #18 of 29 Old Apr 25th, 2020, 5:26 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munmi View Post
Looks like this is the year of bad in-tank hose failure. I tried taking the bike out of hibernation this morning and I could here the cavitation. Sure enough, it's gurgling pretty good. So now I have another project.

I had the symptoms last year and fixed it this year. I used the flexible hoses with my kit from Beemer bone yard, and they worked great.

02' K1200LT current bike
'85 Honda Sabre V65
'80 Kawasaki KZ650
'72 Honda 350/4
post #19 of 29 Old Apr 25th, 2020, 9:59 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
I’ll take a pic here over the weekend and post it of the Napa hose that’s been in the tank now for over two years. The bikes stripped down tank is off and empty so it’s no big deal
The NAPA hose is certainly appropriately rated for the application and may last a long, long time, but I would be worried about the bend radius as the hose ages. Most straight fuel line is not meant to be bent in as tight a radius as is required in the fuel tank. I can’t find a spec for the NAPA fuel hose, but I found specs for a couple other brands and they varied from 2 - 2.5” bend radius for 5/16” hose which is what I was thinking the LT uses (not sure on that). That is a bend diameter of 4-5” which means the 180 u-hose would need 4-5” between the legs and I think the stock hose is closer to 2“ or even less across the legs. I am not sure there is room in the tank to make a 4-5” wide loop for the u-hose. Even the corrugated nylon hose wanted to be in a larger radius than the stock u-hose, but it wasn’t enough to cause clearance issues and I have no concern about the bend shortening the life of a hose of this material and construction.

These two photos show the difference in radius between OEM and corrugated nylon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6C94277F-6C2D-4B5F-BDB5-014B30927180.jpeg
Views:	29
Size:	1.52 MB
ID:	156683   Click image for larger version

Name:	4284DFAD-F51A-4E60-8B94-ADB6785A063D.jpeg
Views:	29
Size:	1.62 MB
ID:	156685  
bmwcoolk1200 and 61774Rob like this.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #20 of 29 Old Apr 25th, 2020, 10:23 pm

Quote:
The NAPA hose is certainly appropriately rated for the application and may last a long, long time, but I would be worried about the bend radius as the hose ages. Most straight fuel line is not meant to be bent in as tight a radius as is required in the fuel tank. I can’t find a spec for the NAPA fuel hose, but I found specs for a couple other brands and they varied from 2 - 2.5” bend radius for 5/16” hose which is what I was thinking the LT uses (not sure on that). That is a bend diameter of 4-5” which means the 180 u-hose would need 4-5” between the legs and I think the stock hose is closer to 2“ or even less across the legs. I am not sure there is room in the tank to make a 4-5” wide loop for the u-hose. Even the corrugated nylon hose wanted to be in a larger radius than the stock u-hose, but it wasn’t enough to cause clearance issues and I have no concern about the bend shortening the life of a hose of this material and construction.

These two photos show the difference in radius between OEM and corrugated nylon.
Matt, I took some pictures and there is a little extra room for a larger loop inside the tank. Here are some pics I took when I first did my nylon hoses. My loop is bigger than necessary and I have since redone the loop by cutting off the excess straight parts and making the entire thing more compact but these pics are for about the largest loop you can make without cutting off any of the straight parts. It is hard to see looking through the sensor hole but you can see the loop could get bigger and not impact anything. The most concern I would have is the position ( twist) of the pump assembly so that it didn't touch the inside of the tank on the sides and cause abrasion from vibration. The last pic shows with the shortest hoses cut to proper length which I didn't do first time around. The bend tallest point is probably pretty close to the point where the molded hoses would place it or maybe just a bit taller when done like this. I agree, straight rubber hose would have to be fairly long to keep from kinking without some inner support of the hose in the bend but as long as it did not impact the sides of the tank, there is a fair amount of head room on the upper end.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC01947.JPG
Views:	23
Size:	482.6 KB
ID:	156687   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01948.JPG
Views:	26
Size:	291.3 KB
ID:	156689   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01950.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	316.7 KB
ID:	156691   Click image for larger version

Name:	reworked.png
Views:	24
Size:	1.18 MB
ID:	156693  
Voyager and 61774Rob like this.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI – Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT – Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

post #21 of 29 Old Apr 26th, 2020, 7:58 pm

Quote:
I am first to admit, I am not the best records keeper. A few years back, I did replace my fuel filter. However, I cannot recall for sure if I replaced the hose that I suspect has failed. If I did in fact replace the hose, with the proper submersion type hose, how long should it last? We hear frequently how potent the corn squeezin's fuel we are stuck with nowadays is potent to fuel lines. Just curious, I haven't started the repair process yet.

Scott and Theresa
Munising, MI
2004 K1200LT Black
2014 Kawasaki KLR650

post #22 of 29 Old Apr 26th, 2020, 9:28 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
I am first to admit, I am not the best records keeper. A few years back, I did replace my fuel filter. However, I cannot recall for sure if I replaced the hose that I suspect has failed. If I did in fact replace the hose, with the proper submersion type hose, how long should it last? We hear frequently how potent the corn squeezin's fuel we are stuck with nowadays is potent to fuel lines. Just curious, I haven't started the repair process yet.
I suspect it depends on the hose. My OEM u-hose lasted almost exactly 7 years. Mine burst the morning after we returned from a ride to Newfoundland in 2014 just a week or so shy of 7 years after I bought the LT new in June of 2007. I replaced it with an OEM hose which still looked to be in good shape when I removed it last spring in preparation for my trip to Alaska. The second hose was a little less than 5 years old at that time. It looked to be in good shape, but then the failed hose looked in good shape except for where it split open! The rubber was still pliable an was not cracked other than the one split that caused the leak and pressure loss. I just didn’t trust a 5 year old rubber hose on a ride as remote as the Alaska highway so I replaced it with the nylon hose. I am carrying the old u-hose as a spare just in case!

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #23 of 29 Old Apr 26th, 2020, 11:30 pm

Quote:
I am carrying the old u-hose as a spare just in case!
I still have the rubber hoses I removed in favor of the nylon and they have become hard as rock no longer being immersed in fuel. Since it only took one of the two provided nylon tubes to do the job, I carry the spare nylon one which I cut off one side for the straight portion thinking I needed both tubes to do the job. Still enough to do a full replacement again.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC01946A.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	482.0 KB
ID:	156713  

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI – Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT – Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

post #24 of 29 Old Apr 27th, 2020, 12:41 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

I changed mine out preemptively after 11 years and 91,000 miles and it still looked good.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 114 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #25 of 29 Old Apr 27th, 2020, 4:05 pm

I just put a hose from NAPA cut it longer and put an easy bend in it . It sat for 5 yrs. then I pulled the pump to drain old gas and clean the tank the hose looked good, no cracks, not hard or stiff so ran it all last year through this winter no problems so far.
post #26 of 29 Old Apr 30th, 2020, 12:16 am

I posted this on another thread and it’s all I could find. Hope there is something in here for all. I haven’t removed the pump yet but when I do I’ll post pics of the NAPA hose and the radius it’s been in for the last two plus years.

BMWMOA

Uni Go Trailer
post #27 of 29 Old May 19th, 2020, 4:03 pm

UPDATE....Things went downhill rather quickly when I started to prepare for the arrival of the corrugated tubing kit from BBY. I was trying to remove the rubber hose from the pump when I snapped the flange off the pump. I ordered a new pump from EuroMoto Electrics as someone mentioned earlier in this thread. I now have all the new parts...new pump, corrugated tubing, clamps, pump intake filter, NAPA Gold fuel filter and finally a little time to work on reassembly. Now the next hurdle...how in the world does one ever get the nylon tubing on to the appropriate nipples? I am at a loss .... again.

Scott and Theresa
Munising, MI
2004 K1200LT Black
2014 Kawasaki KLR650

post #28 of 29 Old May 19th, 2020, 5:43 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
UPDATE....Things went downhill rather quickly when I started to prepare for the arrival of the corrugated tubing kit from BBY. I was trying to remove the rubber hose from the pump when I snapped the flange off the pump. I ordered a new pump from EuroMoto Electrics as someone mentioned earlier in this thread. I now have all the new parts...new pump, corrugated tubing, clamps, pump intake filter, NAPA Gold fuel filter and finally a little time to work on reassembly. Now the next hurdle...how in the world does one ever get the nylon tubing on to the appropriate nipples? I am at a loss .... again.
I don’t recall mine being a big issue, but I’d try a hair dryer or judicious use of a heat gun to soften the nylon a little.
61774Rob likes this.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #29 of 29 Old May 19th, 2020, 11:24 pm

Yes maybe warm them up a little but not to hot. I used to work in a test lab where we had to do stuff like this many times. As long as the tube was new, I'd just chew on it for a a little, soften it up, warm it up and it would slip on the glass fitting.
61774Rob likes this.

Beech

I change your tires $50, you buy them on the web.
K13S, S1000R (gone through a few GS's & RT's)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in