BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

K1200LT By Mattel?

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Wazza 
#1 ·
Anyone else having problems with the "black plastic" cracking ie lower dash cover, stingray outer edges etc. ? So far after the last tupperware removal I have 2 broken tabs, a crack by each mirror lower inboard corner. a crack at the screw hole by the fuel door a crack near the lower rh side of the lower dash cover. It seems all of the ABS plastic is just crumbling away

#2 ·
Do you mean cracks like these? I noticed the crack by my left mirror a few years ago, I think in 2017 when I did my clutch job. I noticed the crack by the right mirror this spring as I was preparing to leave for Key West. And then sometime during the trip I noticed a crack in the cover that surrounds the ignition. I can’t even image that cover having any stress on it, but crack it did. I suspect it is the normal aging of plastic and it getting brittle. That is the nature of the beast with most plastics.

Attachments

#3 ·
Yep, those are the cracks I have by the mirrors along with all the others I mentioned. It seems to just be the black plastic that is cracking. I know it is ABS and have ben using ABS plumbing cement to fix them. I'm wondering if since it isn't painted if there is no UV protection there and it is just degrading from that.
I guess if I can find a replacement I'll spray some clearcoat on it and see if that helps.
I notice yours are painted though.. odd, mine is just raw ABS, no paint
First it was the wire sheathing disintegrating and now the actual body plastics. My 35 year old American made car doesn't have these kinds of problems and back then American cars weren't known for reliability

#4 ·
Yes, my 2007 is painted everywhere, which causes glare on the windshield when the sun is shining. I don’t know if these are due to vibration/stress or the plastic getting brittle. I kind of wish Mattel had made the plastic parts as I have found most plastic toys to be much more robust than the plastic on my LT. So far, I have had to repair both mirrors, two of the handlebar covers, the chrome strips behind the tip-over rubber covers, etc. And it seems the cracks are accelerating. However, I will keep patching them as long as I can.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.