Airfilter airbox performance? - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 5Likes
  • 2 Post By sailor
  • 1 Post By Dragonwing
  • 1 Post By Voyager
  • 1 Post By jzeiler
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old Mar 27th, 2020, 11:21 am Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 18
Question Airfilter airbox performance?

I have a 1999 K1200 LT I was wondering if anybody has ever changed the airfilter airbox to one off a 2003 K1200 RS they look like they have larger air velocity stacks going from the box to the throttle bodies, I know it would probably move the HP and torque numbers up the RPM range would the computer be able to handle it anyone know and what difference in gas mileage and power?
Gary Gregory is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 22 Old Mar 27th, 2020, 12:33 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire
 
jzeiler's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Hazel Green, AL, USA
Posts: 13,658
Re: Airfilter airbox performance?

I doubt it would give much since the RS has higher compression pistons, a different fuel map, different throttle bodies (still 34 mm) and cams. Just changing the air stacks would not give a noticeable difference.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 114 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jzeiler is offline  
post #3 of 22 Old Mar 27th, 2020, 12:36 pm
Senior Member
 
sailor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Montreal ,QC , Canada
Posts: 1,198
Re: Airfilter airbox performance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Gregory View Post
I have a 1999 K1200 LT I was wondering if anybody has ever changed the airfilter airbox to one off a 2003 K1200 RS they look like they have larger air velocity stacks going from the box to the throttle bodies, I know it would probably move the HP and torque numbers up the RPM range would the computer be able to handle it anyone know and what difference in gas mileage and power?
Of course the air-box is different on K1200RS, however this only a small part of the equation:
1) K1200RS have higher compression pistons

2) K1200RS have different camshafts (intake and exhaust)

3) K1200RS have larger throttle-bodies (34mm for early K1200LT, 36 for K1200LT 2004-2009 , 38mm for K1200RS)

4) And OF COURSE the Motronic-EFI sysetn is tuned differently according to effects of all above items.

In my opinion, you will achieve noting (or very little) by changing only a single small part of this whole system. Unless you modify all the above items, or install a K1200RS engine (with its matching ECU) you are on wrong track ;-)

The 2005-2009 K1200LT horsepower is somewhere in between the early K1200LT and a K1200RS, because they have increased compression , changed Camshafts profile, and increase the throttle-bodies by 2mm. Not enough to acheive the full 130HP of the K1200RS, but better tuned for low end torque - something a 900 lbs beast needs...

P.S.: Did all this typing for nothing.... as I saved my message I just saw Jzeiler has given you roughly the same answer ;-)
bmwcoolk1200 and kbob12 like this.

-------------------------------------------------
John (Montreal, CANADA)
K1200RS (2002 IceBlue/Red - 96,000 miles)
-------------------------------------------------
Think twice before you hit [SUBMIT REPLY] - famous quote by another member:
"The value of this board is not founded on dismissing the ideas of others, but by posting to share our experiences and what we've learned from them."

Last edited by sailor; Mar 27th, 2020 at 2:04 pm.
sailor is offline  
 
post #4 of 22 Old Mar 27th, 2020, 5:10 pm
IBR# 366
 
meese's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: West Linn, OR
Posts: 16,508
Garage
Re: Airfilter airbox performance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
Unless you modify all the above items, or install a K1200RS engine (with its matching ECU) you are on wrong track ;-)
Early on, there was a dealer in Texas who swapped an RS engine into an LT.

Several of us were quite interested, and I spoke with the dealer who said it wasn't worth the time and expense as the LT actually did much better tuned for torque than top end HP.

YMMV...

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
meese is offline  
post #5 of 22 Old Mar 27th, 2020, 6:17 pm
Senior Member
 
sailor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Montreal ,QC , Canada
Posts: 1,198
Re: Airfilter airbox performance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese View Post
Early on, there was a dealer in Texas who swapped an RS engine into an LT.

Several of us were quite interested, and I spoke with the dealer who said it wasn't worth the time and expense as the LT actually did much better tuned for torque than top end HP.

YMMV...
Agree with your post and the dealer ... my post never implied it was worth to do such modifications.
I was just giving facts about how you could get the same horsepower if you really wanted - certainly NOT with an air box change.

-------------------------------------------------
John (Montreal, CANADA)
K1200RS (2002 IceBlue/Red - 96,000 miles)
-------------------------------------------------
Think twice before you hit [SUBMIT REPLY] - famous quote by another member:
"The value of this board is not founded on dismissing the ideas of others, but by posting to share our experiences and what we've learned from them."
sailor is offline  
post #6 of 22 Old Apr 24th, 2020, 11:36 am Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 18
Re: Airfilter airbox performance?

Update I purchased 03 k1200RS air box the box would not fit so I pulled the velocity stacks off and installed on my stock box rode around the block wow I think it is going to be great no lagging great throttle response I will give update on fuel mileage and performance I had rode with 3 other bikes so I will know when I race again, I do think the bigger velocity stacks will help.
Gary Gregory is offline  
post #7 of 22 Old Apr 25th, 2020, 9:29 pm
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 53
Re: Airfilter airbox performance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Gregory View Post
Update I purchased 03 k1200RS air box the box would not fit so I pulled the velocity stacks off and installed on my stock box rode around the block wow I think it is going to be great no lagging great throttle response I will give update on fuel mileage and performance I had rode with 3 other bikes so I will know when I race again, I do think the bigger velocity stacks will help.
I'm struggling to understand this. My 08 LT has absolutely no lag and just as good of throttle response as any bike I've ridden. My last bike being a CBR1100XX.

On a normal day my mileage is:
80mph=38mpg
70mph=44mpg
55mph=50mpg

I recall reading the newer LTs have about 5mpg less than the 04 and older. I think there may be a bigger problem with your bike that's causing the throttle response and mileage issue.
08ltcolorado is offline  
post #8 of 22 Old Apr 25th, 2020, 9:41 pm
Lifetime Supporter
 
Voyager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Lawrenceville, PA, USA
Posts: 7,429
Re: Airfilter airbox performance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08ltcolorado View Post
I'm struggling to understand this. My 08 LT has absolutely no lag and just as good of throttle response as any bike I've ridden. My last bike being a CBR1100XX.

On a normal day my mileage is:
80mph=38mpg
70mph=44mpg
55mph=50mpg

I recall reading the newer LTs have about 5mpg less than the 04 and older. I think there may be a bigger problem with your bike that's causing the throttle response and mileage issue.
Pretty much the same for my 07. I did have an issue with throttle response for a couple of years. I initially thought it was the switch to E10, as the problem started in that same timeframe, but I now think that was just coincidence. My LT would sag terribly when pulling away from a stop and require excess clutch slippage to keep from stalling the engine. It felt as though it had lost half its torque as soon as I cracked the throttle.

I did a number of things while I had my LT apart for its clutch repair and the problem vanished, but I have no idea what the cause was or which of the things I did made the difference. My guess in the order I think is most likely is:

1. Replaced the badly cracked and deteriorated crankcase ventilation manifold. I suspect the LT was sucking in too much air and leaning out.

2. I thoroughly cleaned the throttle bodies, but they really weren’t all that dirty inside. I have had cars with far more crude in the TB and which had no drive ability issues.

3. Replaced the O2 sensor. The old sensor tested out fine on the GS911 and the new sensor looks the same so I really doubt this was the issue, but it is possible it was. The sagging off the line only occurred about half the time, so maybe the O2 sensor was flakey and I just never caught in on the 911.

In any event, I was quite happy when the problem disappeared as it really took the pleasure out of riding the LT. It was run great for nearly 40,000 miles since the clutch repair and other sundries.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Voyager is offline  
post #9 of 22 Old Apr 29th, 2020, 1:09 am Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 18
Re: Airfilter airbox performance?

Update on 03 RS air box I purchased it from salvage yard when I had the Tupperware off and gas tank for other maintenance I tried to install the complete air box it would not fit so I took the velocity stacks off the RS box and installed them on my LT box reinstalled on throttle bodies any way here are seat of pants results throttle response is still good it might be a little flat at 2500 rpm in 5th but it still pulls when you get to 4000 to 4500 it starts pulling hard I was running on the freeway @ 70 rolled the throttle wide open I shut it down at 125 and it was still pulling on this same ride went about 60 miles averaging 80 to 85 I was getting 36.5 mpg driving normal I think it will get around 40 to 45 mph I did unhook the temp sensor in air box I had followed a couple guys racing before I installed the velocity stacks they pulled away from me I will give them a run and see how they do now I took the trunk off and I weight 175 lbs will I put the stock velocity stacks back on no way.
Gary Gregory is offline  
post #10 of 22 Old Apr 29th, 2020, 10:25 pm
Senior Member
 
Dragonwing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Elyria, OH, USA
Posts: 395
Re: Airfilter airbox performance?

Oy! That is the longest run-on sentence I've seen in quite awhile.
Voyager likes this.

DW

"A severed foot is the ultimate stocking stuffer."

BMW K1200LT "Carpathia"
Suzuki GV1400 Cavalcade "Paladin"
Kawasaki ZX14 Ninja "Shashka"
Kawasaki GPz1100 "Sicarius"
Buell S3 "Pazuzu"
Honda GL1100 Gold Wing "Aurore"
Honda PC800 Pacific Coast "Octavia"
Honda CB750F "Genvieve"

And other remnants of a misspent youth.
Dragonwing is offline  
post #11 of 22 Old Apr 29th, 2020, 11:14 pm
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 53
Re: Airfilter airbox performance?

I'm glad it worked for you. One thing I will add in is an experience I had when I was just getting in to motorcycles at around age 17.

A friend of mine just got his new ZX-6R (his first bike) and felt it didn't have enough power, so he went to a guy to get it jetted. You may remember the ZX6R was one of the last 600 supersport bikes to go fuel injection. The carbs worked great, and it had the most power of any of the 600s out there.

I had a Ninja 250 at the time and he encouraged me to jet mine to. Being in Colorado, I thought this couldn't hurt.

So my friend comes back with his newly jetted bike. Not even 1000 miles on the odometer yet, and now it it's jetted. Well, it basically wouldn't run under 6000 rpm. It would bog down and backfire in the exhaust, it was running so rich. But he said, "WOW does it have a TON MORE power up top!"

My bike was jetted about 3 sizes too rich as well. The pilot screws were completely screwed up too. So I did some research and put the proper jets in. It ran great for the next several years.

My friend went back to the bike shop after about 3 months of barely being able to ride in the city. The mechanic eventually got it running right after six months on. My buddy then decided he needed a GSXR750 and traded his bike in for one.

I maintain you can learn a lot from motorcycling.

Last edited by 08ltcolorado; Apr 29th, 2020 at 11:24 pm.
08ltcolorado is offline  
post #12 of 22 Old Apr 30th, 2020, 4:34 am
Lifetime Supporter
 
Voyager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Lawrenceville, PA, USA
Posts: 7,429
Re: Airfilter airbox performance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08ltcolorado View Post
I'm glad it worked for you. One thing I will add in is an experience I had when I was just getting in to motorcycles at around age 17.

A friend of mine just got his new ZX-6R (his first bike) and felt it didn't have enough power, so he went to a guy to get it jetted. You may remember the ZX6R was one of the last 600 supersport bikes to go fuel injection. The carbs worked great, and it had the most power of any of the 600s out there.

I had a Ninja 250 at the time and he encouraged me to jet mine to. Being in Colorado, I thought this couldn't hurt.

So my friend comes back with his newly jetted bike. Not even 1000 miles on the odometer yet, and now it it's jetted. Well, it basically wouldn't run under 6000 rpm. It would bog down and backfire in the exhaust, it was running so rich. But he said, "WOW does it have a TON MORE power up top!"

My bike was jetted about 3 sizes too rich as well. The pilot screws were completely screwed up too. So I did some research and put the proper jets in. It ran great for the next several years.

My friend went back to the bike shop after about 3 months of barely being able to ride in the city. The mechanic eventually got it running right after six months on. My buddy then decided he needed a GSXR750 and traded his bike in for one.

I maintain you can learn a lot from motorcycling.
Mostly things not to do.
bmwcoolk1200 likes this.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Voyager is offline  
post #13 of 22 Old Apr 30th, 2020, 10:39 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire
 
jzeiler's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Hazel Green, AL, USA
Posts: 13,658
Re: Airfilter airbox performance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Gregory View Post
throttle response is still good it might be a little flat at 2500 rpm in 5th but it still pulls when you get to 4000 to 4500 it starts pulling hard
Have you looked at the stock curves for the LT?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Torque and power.png
Views:	13
Size:	4.7 KB
ID:	156757  

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 114 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jzeiler is offline  
post #14 of 22 Old Apr 30th, 2020, 10:41 am
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 53
Re: Airfilter airbox performance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler View Post
Have you looked at the stock curves for the LT?
I don't think I would ever describe acceleration in 5th gear, in a taller geared 99-04 LT, as "pulling hard" but that's just me.
08ltcolorado is offline  
post #15 of 22 Old Apr 30th, 2020, 2:28 pm Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 18
Re: Airfilter airbox performance?

On the pulling hard I am sorry I should have said it started pulling harder. Throttle response is good maybe better than stock, I payed around 27.00 dollars for box and shipping A lot better than for a $100.00 plus for chip and would have had to purchase a different computer to put it in, I have personally tried chips whit no difference on cars, As far as dyno charts it depends whose dyno and what conditions and altitude. I have not had a chance to do the comparison yet with other bikes I will let you know. Factory dyno charts have to stay in certain parameters to be able sell there vehicles and meet standards world wide.
Gary Gregory is offline  
post #16 of 22 Old Apr 30th, 2020, 2:40 pm
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 53
Re: Airfilter airbox performance?

You might try a shorter final drive gear. This is something that would absolutely make the LT faster to accelerate. Let physics work for you.
08ltcolorado is offline  
post #17 of 22 Old May 1st, 2020, 1:55 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire
 
jzeiler's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Hazel Green, AL, USA
Posts: 13,658
Re: Airfilter airbox performance?

I concur I run a 2.82 vs. stock 2.62. Now I hit the rev limiter at 57 MPH in 1st where before I hit it at 62 MPH. Did it primarily for two up, trailer pulling to get off the line easier.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 114 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jzeiler is offline  
post #18 of 22 Old May 1st, 2020, 5:09 pm Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 18
Red face Re: Airfilter airbox performance?

Thanks for the info on the gear changes. I am sorry for the long sentence no excuse I hope the guy that was reading it did not run out of breath. I think I had a few beers. Also I thank everyone for the advise . I am new to the KLT and I am finding I really like it. The only thing is the foot pegs are a little close in am getting use to them , I have my seat on the high setting any way thanks for all your help. Oh I am a old kid at 73.
Gary Gregory is offline  
post #19 of 22 Old May 2nd, 2020, 1:44 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire
 
jzeiler's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Hazel Green, AL, USA
Posts: 13,658
Re: Airfilter airbox performance?

Suburban Machinery made a kit to lower the foot pegs. May give that a try. https://www.suburban-machinery.com/K1200LT.html
juanlien likes this.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 114 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jzeiler is offline  
post #20 of 22 Old May 3rd, 2020, 1:40 pm
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 8
Re: Airfilter airbox performance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler View Post
Suburban Machinery made a kit to lower the foot pegs. May give that a try. https://www.suburban-machinery.com/K1200LT.html
great share
juanlien is offline  
post #21 of 22 Old May 4th, 2020, 9:13 pm
Senior Member
 
Dragonwing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Elyria, OH, USA
Posts: 395
Re: Airfilter airbox performance?

I have a set of the Suburbans on Carpathia. Just perfect for those of us a little longer in the leg. Well constructed. Look great. Easy to install. No complaints,

DW

DW

"A severed foot is the ultimate stocking stuffer."

BMW K1200LT "Carpathia"
Suzuki GV1400 Cavalcade "Paladin"
Kawasaki ZX14 Ninja "Shashka"
Kawasaki GPz1100 "Sicarius"
Buell S3 "Pazuzu"
Honda GL1100 Gold Wing "Aurore"
Honda PC800 Pacific Coast "Octavia"
Honda CB750F "Genvieve"

And other remnants of a misspent youth.
Dragonwing is offline  
post #22 of 22 Old May 4th, 2020, 10:58 pm Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 18
Red face Re: Airfilter airbox performance?

Will I ordered the suburban machinery lowering peg kit. Well my bike is still running great, I guess I should be careful I ran it up to 8500 thru 3 gears with no issues, I am going to take it easy on the old gal being 21 years with close 53000 miles. I will let you all know how the pegs work out.
Gary Gregory is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome