BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

EZ Touring covers

1K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Voyager 
#1 ·
We washed our EZ Touring “The Traveller” motorcycle cover after returning from Florida as it had some salt spray on it and was looking a little grungy. As we were drying it, my wife commented that must be she didn’t get the soap rinsed off it well as it was flaking off. I looked more closely and saw it was a coating on the fabric that was flaking off. So, looks like time to retire the cover. I then started to think that it had held up reasonably well for 13 years given the number of trips we have taken and the number of days and nights it is sat in the sun and rain and wind, but thought it would hold up a little longer than that.

As I was ordering a new one, I noticed that the size recommended for BMWs with a top case is size A, but I had a size X. Hmmm... I then noticed what size X fits and my memory was instantly jogged. And Linda’s recollection then concurred with mine. We actually bought this cover in 1987 when we bought our Kawasaki Voyager and took our first ever tour to Salt Lake City. When we bought the LT, we tried the cover and it fit pretty well (just a touch large) so we didn’t need to buy a new one. So, this cover is actually 33 years old! I feel much better now about how well it has held up and buying a new one. Although, it seems a little sad to retire a cover that has covered (pun intended) my entire motorcycle touring career. This cover has been to Newfoundland, Alaska, around the entire US and now to Key West. It is a well traveled Traveller!

So, just a little endorsement for the good ladies at EZ Touring.

See less See more
#2 ·
You might want to contact them, as I'm sure they'd love to hear that story. Maybe even add a couple of pics.

#3 · (Edited)
The owners are a nice couple out of Madras, OR. As you stated, a great product as well.

My EZ-Touring cover is over 15 years old and still going strong...nice to know I likely still have at least another 15 years. Ha!

Reactions: kbob12
#4 ·
I noticed their location and the ironic part is that Madras is where I ran my LT out of gas during our around the US trip back in 2017. We spent the night in Madras after getting some gas and retrieving the LT from along the road 12 miles north. Small world, eh?

#5 ·
The ladies at EZ Touring are quick on service. I placed my order last Friday and my new cover arrived yesterday. Looks identical to my old one as I had hoped it would, other than being a lot cleaner. I may keep the old one should I need to cover my LT outside for any long duration as even though most of its waterproofness is gone, it still blocks the sun reasonably well. Hopefully, the new one will be waterproof once again.

Attachments

#6 ·
I go though covers one every 18 months.
It’s always very sunny in Nicaragua.
What’d be the correct size for the LT?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#7 ·
I don’t what the correct size is for sure. Their web site suggests that the “A” size is correct for BMWs with top cases, but they may be for the R1200RT, which I think is a little smaller than the LT. I bought a size “X” because that is what I had for my former Kawasaki Voyager XII and it fit the LT acceptably so I stuck with that when I bought my replacement last week. I figured I’d stay with what I knew rather than risk a smaller one that might fit a little better, but also might not fit as well.

I don’t have a close-up picture, but maybe you can see enough in this picture to get an idea. Or, look back at my Alaska trip i the rides forum.

Attachments

#10 ·
I bought a "Traveler A" at the Gillette rally in 2008 for my LT. I have used it on 2 RT's as well. I am so glad I bought it. One night it rained and blew so hard that I thought my bike and and cover would be gone. The window on the hotel looked like it could break out at any moment. The next morning the bike and cover were there. The bike was bone dry. Worth every penny!!

#12 ·
You were lucky. I had my LT on the side stand with the traveler on it and the 80 mph wind gust blew it over onto the other side. This was in Las Cruces in March 2015 but no damage (other than tip over bars).

#11 ·
Curiosity got the best of me so I pulled out my old file for my 1987 Kawasaki Voyager to see if I might have saved the receipt for the purchase as it predates my use of financial management software. I found a lot of stuff, but nothing for the EZ Touring cover. I then thought we might have some pictures in our album from our 1988 trip to Salt Lake City, our first long trip on a bike, but Linda did a quick check of the old album and found no pictures with the bike covered. I am about 90% certain we had the cover for that a trip, but maybe it was that trip that convinced me to buy a cover. I just don’t recall anymore.

I did find original brochure for the bike. This was the best $8,100 I ever spent and the Voyager is still Linda’s favorite bike as it was more comfortable than the LT and anything we have test ridden in the last couple of years, except maybe the Yamaha Venture. She found that quite comfortable. I still wish Kawasaki had come out with a true successor to this rather than go the Harley wannabe route with the Vulcan platform. Oh well, at least the EZ Touring cover lived on long after the Kawasaki was gone.

Attachments

#13 ·
I found a closer-in picture of my LT with the EZ Touring Traveller size X cover.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.