BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Help with Front Caliper Bleeder(s)

588 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  RABlvmy88 
#1 · (Edited)
I am installing new Spiegler brake lines. My bike is a 1999K1200lt. The right front caliper has a very different looking bleeder than the one of the left. I managed to strip the hex cap when I was trying to remove it. So 2 questions:

1. What is this part on the Right caliper? What is its function?
2. Can't I just replace it with another bleeder like the one in the left caliper? The female side on each caliper look the same configuration to me.

Thanks.

#2 ·
Yes, it can be removed and replaced with a standard bleed screw but be aware that it is in there with loctite and will require some heat to remove without bugaring the threads.

BMW vent screw
34 21 2 330 310 VENT SCREW - M10 0.02 1 $13.69

You may be able to find one for less. I just went ahead and bought the BMW part but it was only $10 when I did.

Attachments

#4 ·
Exactly but if you don't use heat, you are likely to leave the aluminum threads from the bleed attachment in the caliper making it unusable.

#5 ·
Thanks Guys, I did get it out fine, the hex cap on the top of the part is what is stripped. I just dont fully understand why they put this in and what its function was. I think it is called a "filler adapter", and I guess one is supposed to loosen the hex cap to bleed at that point. Just not sure why this part was used as compared to a traditional bleeder screw. Thanks or all the help.

#6 ·
It was used to "Fill" the brake system during production. Best way to fill an empty system is to push fluid from the calipers to the reservoir. BMW stopped that practice when they went to the servo brake system which had four separate circuits.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.