3Likes
  • 1 Post By Voyager
  • 1 Post By bmwcoolk1200
  • 1 Post By Voyager

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Mar 12th, 2020, 3:32 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Free battery anyone?

After two mornings after cold nights where the LT barely started and a third night when after 10 minutes we gave up and push started the LT, I am replacing my 8 year-old Shorai Lithium Iron Phosphate battery. I ordered a NICHE AGM battery from Amazon and will be meeting up with its delivery this weekend in Orlando. I will then dispose of the Shorai. The sad part is that it cranks the LT just fine in warm weather (above 60 or so) so it likely has a lot of life left in it in a warm climate. However, I do not live in a warm climate and ride often at temps below 50 where the lithium batteries simply suck.

If any forum members in a warm climate want it, let me know. It would be especially convenient if someone in the Orlando are wanted it or someone roughly on the route between Orlando and PA. That should save the hassle of trying to get it shipped. Otherwise, it goes to a recycling center if I can find one that will take it.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Mar 12th, 2020, 7:33 pm

Re: Free battery anyone?

Curious why the NICHE when many use the Odyssey with no issue. You know something we don't?

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI – Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT – Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 Old Mar 12th, 2020, 7:42 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwcoolk1200 View Post
Curious why the NICHE when many use the Odyssey with no issue. You know something we don't?
I’ve read as many bad reports of late as good ones regarding Odyssey. And $130 vs $80 was compelling. I tried what I thought was a top of the line battery (Shorai) and it turned out to be a huge mistake. So, I am back to cheap batteries replaced every 4 years or so. I only bought this one because Walmart didn’t stock one to fit the LT.

I nearly tried the Mighty Max at $60, but saw a number of reviews about bad batteries out of the box and being on a trip I didn’t want to risk that.
bmwcoolk1200 likes this.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #4 of 14 Old Mar 13th, 2020, 6:06 am

I use a walmart battery Its a BT20.
It doubles in my snowmobile. Not a perfect fit, it's 3/16th short, a little shim works fine warm or cold.
post #5 of 14 Old Mar 13th, 2020, 11:53 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
I tried what I thought was a top of the line battery (Shorai) and it turned out to be a huge mistake. .
Yeah, I have read a few threads where the Lithium Iron don't work when really cold so I never thought of getting one even in the south. I don't think batteries are what they used to be as I have gone through 3 Duralast gold in my car a year before their free replacement warranty ran out which was only 3 years. Batteries used to last 8 or more years but someone got greedy and decided we needed a more often replacement cycle. Another engineered to fail part. So far, my Odysseys have been good but 6 years is all I am going to push them assuming they make it that far.
Voyager likes this.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI – Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT – Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

post #6 of 14 Old Mar 14th, 2020, 7:38 am

FWIW, I installed a “chrome” (brand name) AGM battery bought from Amazon (delivered next day) in my ‘08 R1200GS, about 6 years ago. Performs flawlessly, has a built-in voltmeter on top, was ~$30 compared to $250 for the BMW battery it replaced. Chrome has its own website, and Amazon still carries their products. I also put one in my ‘99 R1100RT around the same time, and it still goes strong too. The RT battery is the same size as the LT battery. I attribute some of my battery longevity to the float chargers i keep them on when parked. That is 3 cars, 6 bikes and 3 mowers & a Kubota tractor.
post #7 of 14 Old Mar 15th, 2020, 6:44 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwcoolk1200 View Post
Yeah, I have read a few threads where the Lithium Iron don't work when really cold so I never thought of getting one even in the south. I don't think batteries are what they used to be as I have gone through 3 Duralast gold in my car a year before their free replacement warranty ran out which was only 3 years. Batteries used to last 8 or more years but someone got greedy and decided we needed a more often replacement cycle. Another engineered to fail part. So far, my Odysseys have been good but 6 years is all I am going to push them assuming they make it that far.
Where you live, I think a lithium ion battery would be great. They really crank the LT over when warm or hot. I only have issues below about 50 degrees when the bike sits for hours overnight at temps less than that. I think in a warm climate, the Shorai would have lasted 10-12 years which makes its $200 cost about competitive with $80 batteries than last 4 years.

I would not buy Shorai brand. They have a horrible battery design and terrible customer service. I won’t repeat it here as i think I posted the details a few years ago somewhere in the forum. I have seen at least one other lithium iron maker that seems to have addressed Shorai’s design flaws, but I can’t speak to charger quality or customer service. The company I saw made the case the standard size so you don’t need to fill the battery box with pads and they had more robust terminals than Shorai.

Which reminds me, I need to get rid also of a BMS-01 Shorai charger. Anyone want it?

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #8 of 14 Old Mar 15th, 2020, 11:53 am

Free battery anyone?

Sure. I have 5 Shorai batteries and only one charger.

... it’s always above 80F here all year round ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

----------------------------------------------------
BMW K1200LT 2007
BMW K1200R: "Drophammer" 2006
BMW R1200GS 2008
BMW K1200S 2007
Suzuki DR-Z400E 2000
Sachs MadAss FY125-20
BMW R1200R 2009 (in my stable, thinking about it...)

-----------------------------------------------------
post #9 of 14 Old Mar 15th, 2020, 11:56 am

Shorai have been okay.
One failed in my LT.
Seems to have a voltage leak and didn’t crank it for months and it went down to 3 volts.
It did recover but was unreliable. In the end after many recharges one of the cells just swelled.
The other one was 8 years old and a friend left the lights on and it was dead. Just replaced it.
They been better than lead-acid batteries.

BMW K1200LT 2007
BMW R1200GS 2008
BMW K1200S 2007
Suzuki DR-Z400E 2000
Sachs MadAss FY125-20

post #10 of 14 Old Mar 15th, 2020, 12:58 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondrage View Post
Sure. I have 5 Shorai batteries and only one charger.

... it’s always above 80F here all year round ...

PM me your address.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #11 of 14 Old Mar 15th, 2020, 1:04 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Shorai have been okay.
One failed in my LT.
Seems to have a voltage leak and didn’t crank it for months and it went down to 3 volts.
It did recover but was unreliable. In the end after many recharges one of the cells just swelled.
The other one was 8 years old and a friend left the lights on and it was dead. Just replaced it.
They been better than lead-acid batteries.

I do not understand why Shorai did not make the case a standard size so that mounting is a no-brainer. That little bit of extra plastic case can’t cost that much. And the terminals are flimsy compared to every other battery I have used.

My first Shorai died the first winter I owned it. I had it on the Shorai BMS-01 charger and apparently the charger does not come back on after a power failure. We had a failure that winter and I did not catch for several weeks that the BMW-01 was no longer maintaining the battery. The battery was dead and would not recover. Shorai replaced it under warranty and admitted that their charger had a “firmware” issue and did not recover from a power failure. They said they would have a firmware update in a few weeks and would contact me to update my charger. I never heard from them so I sent an email. They replied it would be a few more weeks. Rinse and repeat this a couple more times and then they simply refused to reply to my emails.

So, I have no sure for Shorai as either a product or a company when I believe there are much better alternatives out there. My BatteryMINDer has maintained the Shorai fairly well, but I do hook it up to the BMS-01 once or twice a year to balance the cells. Lithium ion batteries tend to not live nearly as long if they are not balanced at the cell level.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #12 of 14 Old Mar 16th, 2020, 9:19 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

I installed the NICHE battery yesterday. It was packed well and arrived in good shape. It is nice to have a battery that fits the battery box again and get rid of all that foam. The only downsize is this battery only has terminals for vertical mounting and my cables have been attached horizontally for a long time and it was a little hard to get the smaller positive cable installed (is this the one for the reverse controller?). I will probably try to find some adapters when I get home so I can mount the cables horizontally again.

The weight difference still amazes me, but hopefully I can now get back to PA without having to have Linda push start the LT!
bmwcoolk1200 likes this.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #13 of 14 Old Mar 20th, 2020, 7:24 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
PM me your address.

Sent!

BMW K1200LT 2007
BMW R1200GS 2008
BMW K1200S 2007
Suzuki DR-Z400E 2000
Sachs MadAss FY125-20

post #14 of 14 Old Mar 25th, 2020, 2:09 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Sent!

Is there a name to include with the address? Sometimes our rural post offices get funky about sending to an address with no personal or company name.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in