BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Can’t decide need help

1K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  Voyager 
#1 ·
Hello forum people it’s been a number of years since I posted on here mainly because I haven’t done much riding in a while (44klm in 3 years) To busy with other life things. Anyways retired now and want some real advice. My ride is an 2007 LT with just a couple of klm over 22000. I have it up for sale now for a couple of years with no takers but plenty of tire kickers. It comes with a Unigo trailer. If it needs anything it would be the brake lines and a rear disc although I don’t hear any cowbell at the moment. I fancied looking at some adventure riding and possibly the GS 1200 just haven’t ridden one yet to compare against any of the other brands available. What I would like to hear from the members is which tent have you found is of good quality and obvious waterproofing preference it has a vestibule and easy setup. At the bottom of me I’m a little undecided as to part with the old girl seeing as she has such a low mileage and really struggling to part with it. She can get a little heavy for me in slow traffic and closing in on 66 I sometimes wonder if the weight is becoming an issue. I don’t know if I’m allowed but here is the link to the add here in Canada. Please give it me with both barrels you can’t offend me but need help in deciding which route to take. I see people buying these bikes and happy with their purchase. But I’m getting a little anxious wth the age of it and the possibilities of it becoming something I’ll never be able to sell if I don’t do it now. Anyways that’s my rant and look forward to any replies that may come my way.

On a side note, the trailer once belonged to a member on here who’s rude was called Lone Wolf and the trailer was called Lone Cub. I purchased the bike from a dealership who’s the previous owner had purchased the trailer from the member at a BMW meeting. Thanks all.
Richard

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-touring/edm...p_ios&utm_medium=social&utm_source=ios_social

See less See more
#2 ·
Re: Can’t decide need help

Really nice looking bike/trailer. And many folks do that kind of riding in a single season, so it's in fine shape. Just a first impression, but the price is a bit steep, even with the Unigo. I think it is about US$8000? and that is where a 13 year old bike would lose in a decision. BUT, for those who know what you have in it, and the obvious care it has had, that is a fair price.

Doesn't it make sense for you to keep this, invest in an adjustment of the seat lower so you feel comfortable riding, and use it for the few miles you ride each year? I lived in Edmonton for 3 years, and know the season there is shorter than our balmy WI weather.

I love that color, and it's very well set up for touring for two folks.

Just my two cents. I was on the fence about a year ago to replace my LT (then it had 190K miles) with the Grand America. Got the local dealer to allow us a ride one, thinking it was our next bike. After the ride, my wife unenthusiastically said 'that was ok.' So, we did couple needed maintenance on the LT and kept it (now with 213K).

You might post those same pics on this site-folks that know the bike will see its condition. And many of us are wondering how any garage can be so neat! Ride safe

#3 ·

Assuming the $10,750 is CAD, that would be about $8,100 USD. I own an 07 also, but with many more miles than yours, however, even so I would say your asking price is probably still a couple thousand high. Then again, I admit that I am not a trailer fan so I have no idea what value that will add. For me, it would add no value, but I understand for some they would prize such a combination.

I would say that if the weight of the LT is keeping you from enjoying riding it, then sell it immediately at whatever price it takes to move it. I am only a few years behind you at 60 and I figure I have maybe 15 riding years left. I don’t think folks our age can afford to let good riding time slip by. So, I’d say sell the LT and get a bike that you are able to enjoy riding and get back on the road. Life is too short to lose much time with a bike you don’t care to ride just to try to get a few more dollars on the sale. Just my $0.02.

Reactions: HOGnDAS
#4 ·

What kind of riding are you planning on doing. If you just plan to do some short trips and don't need all the touring capacity My best advice would be to remove the top box and put a rack on.
You will not believe the difference in slow speed handling. Unloaded that top box weighs 15 kgs empty and mounted high like that it adds to the heavy feel when you go to lift it off the side stand.

#5 ·
Hi Chayside. I'm 68, and I have been riding adventure-bikes for years, including beemers like the 1100GS, the 1150GS, and 3 different 1200GS.

Two years ago I had the opportunity to try an old LT. Guess what... I now have two of them. I've had 35+ bikes ever since 1969. I have never ridden anything like the LTs, when it comes to comfort and weather protection. On top of that, it is even drivable in the twisties.

If you're concerned about the weight, try removing the topbox. This alone is 15 kg's up high. (at least mine is, with the armrests)

Adventurebikes are fun, and can take you anywhere. But me for one don't go anywhere, anymore. I stay on roads.

I strongly recommend that you try a GS, and think it over once more before you sell such a low-milage LT.

#6 ·
Sorry guys, I hope this comes out OK can’t seem to figure out replies to all your suggestions on my iPhone. Anyway some good advice from you all. To answer some of you in no particular order. Yes the price is Canadian, As I look at others for sale this coming season in the Alberta province on the Kijiji app, prices are all over the place so it’s hard to come up with one that will attract a buyer and satisfy me on the sale. I understand in my head what I think it’s worth but not so to others. I paid close to $16,000 Canadian for this back in 2012. With the bit of time and money I’ve put into it then less the depreciation I came up with the now $10,750 expecting to be haggled over. The trailer to replace is $2300 US and then there’s the bags at around $130US. I know there are only a few people that this bike will fit so my market is small but when you see what others are asking I considered it a fair price. Obviously the more I get the less I have to add to for the next bike. America enjoys a better market than Canada especially in pricing. Example, a new Goldwing in Canada ranges from $26,000 to $35,000. America they range from $25,000 to $32,300. The poor buggers in the UK pay a whopping £30,000 pounds that equates to $38,900 US and $51,400 Canadian. Yes you read that right. Now I picked that brand purely to prove we all get screwed not living in America but hey that’s the way the cookie crumbles. So maybe you guys are correct in saying I’m priced to high but take a look at the pics of the others currently for sale. As for the type of riding I would like to do is just be able to take the odd dirt or gravel road here and there to visit some lakes or waterfalls or rocky outcrops of interest or scenic view points. To camp over night I would obviously prefer to be not totally isolated as bears scare the poop out of me and I’m such a heavy sleeper I wouldn’t know I was being eaten until it’s to late. My mind is in a mess right now. I want to sell, I don’t want to sell. I want adventure bike, I want a sports tourer. So many new bikes to chose from in all genres that look exciting and appealing but I need to make a decision as it could be my last purchase and now pensioned off the choice has to be well thought out. If this snow would clear off I could remove the top case and try the LT again and see how much different it feels. If I’m going to have to reduce the price to such a point to sell I could end up giving it away. They are wonderful ride for sure and if the removing of the top box works I maybe could keep it, add new brake lines and a rear rack and use her for a few more years and maybe try and sell the trailer separately. Maybe it’s the trailer that’s stopping potential buyers as they don’t want or need one. I thank you all for your input and I’m aware the final decision is mine. I’m so thankful for you all here on this forum. It’s because of the forum I made the decision to originally purchase this model and able to do the upgrades. Always wanted to do the fuel pump mod and bring it to the outside of the tank removing the problem of internal fuel lines bursting and leaving a guy stranded. Talking to my daughter today about it she said “ Dad do what makes you happy if you like the bike but it’s heavy for you start working out :)) otherwise bite the bullet sell if for what you can get them just buy a cheaper one I can handle comfortably and won’t care to much if it gets dropped or damaged. “ She thinks I’m a worrier about the bike getting marked up by dropping it and need to remember it’s only a machine that can be repaired or repainted and people today don’t care about that stuff. She then proceeded to tell me how he would park her Jaguar SUV far away from other cars to save dings on the doors but that didn’t work so she finally gave up worrying and enjoys the car for what it is and parks anywhere now. Life is to short to worry over things we can’t control.

Attachments

#7 ·
I’ve owned my 2003 K1200LT since new in March 2004. A few months after buying the LT, I loaded my clothes, camping gear, tools and God knows what else on the LT, and rode from Ohio through Alaska and home without a single glitch. Yes it is a heavy bike, which is a principle reason it is so comfortable, but it was really no worse than my ‘08 R1200GS when I again made that same ride in ‘09. You may recall a major earthquake hit Alaska in late ‘03 or early ‘04, and did major damage to many roads up there, so I had occasion to ride the LT over many hundreds of miles of dirt and gravel, while the earthquake damage was being repaired. Frankly, my GS ride on knobby tires was no better or worse dealing with poor road conditions compared to the LT on the street tires. Both bikes have their strengths and very few weaknesses, and both bikes are heavy when all the gear is loaded on them. One good way to lessen a top heavy sensation is to use that Unigo trailer. I tow a Monogo single wheel trailer with both my LT and my GS on rides when my wife and I are doing some camping.

My advice to you is keep the LT and continue to ride it. Thanks to all the undeserved complaints about the LT, they have become nearly worthless in spite of new high end touring bikes topping $30-35K these days. Trying to sell a used LT or GW 1800 or any other big tourer for a reasonable price will only break your heart. If you want to do some adventure riding, pick up a used R1200GS, or even one of the F or G Series BMW’s to keep your LT company, but forget about getting a reasonable price for your LT.

#8 ·

This has almost nothing to do with helping you decide, just my personal comment.
I’m pushing 68, and have come to the realization that I’ll never be able to sell my motorcycle(s) for what I believe they’re worth. At this point of life, I’d feel sad and somewhat empty to watch them ride away with someone else in the saddle anyway. It’s odd because I don’t feel like this with other things like automobiles for instance. So, with this state of mind, I guess I’ll keep and ride them until unable to get out of bed in the morning, so to speak. After I’m long gone, maybe someone will come along, discover them under a tarp in the corner of a garage for that famous “Garage Find” and restore ‘em back to the glory days. Or perhaps not and they’ll just end up in the landfill during a spring clean-up. In either case I’ll no longer care, will be happy the way things played out and no regrets……..
:grin::bmw:

Reactions: Mark65
#9 ·

Good Morning,

I'm going to throw my opinion in:

First of all I am an old, tall, skinny, (ugly too) guy of 78 years, (79 in July of this year (2020))!

I have owned my 2000 LT since new and other than the rear drive rebuilt by Tom Cutter around 40,000 miles, replacing the clutch, etc. due to the rear main seal leaking, replacing brake lines and some other regular maintenance, it has been an awesome road bike and fairly trouble free!! It has NEVER left me stranded on a road trip, (well had to patch a flat once). Recently the ABS II has started acting up, having to reset frequently. I have purchased a used ABS II unit, sent it to Module Masters for rebuild and will change it out this winter.

You can purchase a smaller lighter machine! However, you already have the LT!! You can't frigging give them away now! (Yes, I tried)

All that said, keep the LT, join a fitness club, get your ancient body in the best shape it can be and ride the heck out of the LT!! ;)

Reactions: Mark65 and kbob12
#10 ·

microdoc;1935493 . . . Thanks to all the undeserved complaints about the LT said:
What undeserved complaints?

#11 ·
Some smashing advice here from you guys. Yes Voyager I agree the bike has been bashed about a lot in the forums all undeservedly. I even noticed it’s been removed from the home page at least from what I can see. Well going forward I’m taking all you lads have said. The next weekend I’m planning on touring the stealerships and sitting on the ones I fancy and get a feel for them, and checkout pricing. I know if decided to trade it in it’s worthless unless it’s a BMW dealer. Seems the other dealerships like to shy away from the name and so low ball me I’m sure. The one Beemer dealer near me has a bit of a bad reputation and now sells a few different brands along with ATV’s and Skidoo’s. Some used bikes have new pricing on them a real shark that’s for sure. So that’s it for now. I’ll update later after my reconnaissance mission is completed and let you know what I’ve decided. My heart is still in my garage, I understand to change my ride will be more costly than a few more updates to the LT but I have to deliberate which is going to give me the best bang for my buck taking in depreciation and extra $$$ to upgrade and perhaps an insurance premium hike. Thanks again lads May the good Lord bless you all and keep you safe. All the best Richard

Reactions: Mark65
#12 ·

I am not sure the bashing has been undeserved. When I bought my LT and learned of this forum (in that order), I at first could not believe that a BMW could actually have so many issues. However, having now experienced almost every issue written about here in the forum or having taken pre-emotive measures (metal QDs, FIBIB trunk latch, etc.), I think most of the criticism has been accurate and not at all undeserved.

Reactions: kbob12
#13 ·

There is a definite association between claimed problems and backyard mechanics with zero training attempting unsuccessfully to make preemptive repairs to a very sophisticated machine. There are numerous examples of “if it ain’t broke, don’t (attempt to) fix it”. A man has got to know his limitations, especially when it comes to major repairs.

#14 ·

There is a definite association between claimed problems and backyard mechanics with zero training attempting unsuccessfully to make preemptive repairs to a very sophisticated machine. There are numerous examples of “if it ain’t broke, don’t (attempt to) fix it”. A man has got to know his limitations, especially when it comes to major repairs.
I have not seen that in the 13 years I’ve been on this forum. The problems occur prior to anyone “fixing” anything. What problems have you seen that were caused by the owner? You have yet to list a single “underserved” criticism of the LT. I really only have one that I think is undeserved as it is a rider skill issue, but I’d not call it a problem either.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.