A Clean Question - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By jzeiler
  • 1 Post By K1200LTSC

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Jan 28th, 2020, 12:11 pm Thread Starter

Garage
A Clean Question

I have begun my gearbox repair/replace project on my 2009 LT. I have removed all the fairings, panniers, top box, fuel tank and seats.

What looked like a pretty clean bike with all the aforementioned parts installed, is very very dirty under the covers.

My question, dumb as it may be, is; can I/should I powerwash all the exposed stuff. I understand not to focus high pressure water on electrical connections and fragile parts. Am I OK getting all the electrical connections wet if I let everything dry thoroughly and hit the connections with WD while wet.

It will be much more enjoyable to work on a clean bike.

Any wisdom to share?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200127_192738.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	1.47 MB
ID:	155637   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200127_192835.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	1.18 MB
ID:	155639   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200127_192744.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	1.19 MB
ID:	155643  

Best Regards,
TJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Jan 28th, 2020, 12:34 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Re: A Clean Question

Do not use a pressure washer. Cleaning solution and a garden hose with be your best bet. You really did not need to remove the panniers to do this job but its good if you want to clean it up really good. Dave Selvig (saddlemman) does this to his bikes every other year. He even removes the wiring harnesses, me I just keep the tupperware on it. Maybe he will comment on what he uses.
davebullock and Tj Nigro like this.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 Old Jan 28th, 2020, 3:15 pm

The best stuff I use is spray it down with Spray nine or Awesome which is inexpensive, and you can get it at the dollar store. Wash it in the shade. Spray the Awesome or the spray nine it on let it sit for a couple minutes hose it off, that heat water with dawn and a good wash mit and scrub. I use a siphon blaster that works on air, no pressure washer. Being washing bikes for the last 40 some years like that never had problem. when you done i use blower to dry it and then I have a large fan I blow on it until it is completely dry. You are right it is dirty. Here is a 2001 that I'am working on in my spare time.A Clean Question-mvc-021s.jpg
Tj Nigro likes this.

post #4 of 8 Old Jan 28th, 2020, 3:38 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by K1200LTSC View Post
The best stuff I use is spray it down with Spray nine or Awesome which is inexpensive, and you can get it at the dollar store. Wash it in the shade. Spray the Awesome or the spray nine it on let it sit for a couple minutes hose it off, that heat water with dawn and a good wash mit and scrub. I use a siphon blaster that works on air, no pressure washer. Being washing bikes for the last 40 some years like that never had problem. when you done i use blower to dry it and then I have a large fan I blow on it until it is completely dry. You are right it is dirty. Here is a 2001 that I'am working on in my spare time.Attachment 155649
WOW, that's what I'm looking for. I want to get all the nooks & crannies clean. The way it is now is giving me anxiety. Thank you!

Best Regards,
TJ
post #5 of 8 Old Yesterday, 9:06 am

TJ If that's giving you anxiety just wait until you start taking the rest apart. All I can say is take your time and take a lot of close up pictures and notes. When I started to take the one I have I decided to drop the whole drive train. I'am glad I did it makes it a hole lot easier to work on, the big plus it now I can really clean the motor and that part of the chassis. I know changing the tranny in the frame can be done, but to me just working on it standing up is worth it. My lifts raises up four feet and for me I still took it out. And took about a extra half hour to drop ever thing together.
post #6 of 8 Old Yesterday, 10:13 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

What he says is true, when removing the transmission you are just two bolts and four wires away from removing the entire drive train. In fact I pull each of the front motor mount bolts, one at a time of course, and replace them with the same length 1/4 inch bolts. This gives me room to shift the assembly side to side a bit to get the transmission to clear the frame.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 8 Old Yesterday, 2:59 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler View Post
What he says is true, when removing the transmission you are just two bolts and four wires away from removing the entire drive train. In fact I pull each of the front motor mount bolts, one at a time of course, and replace them with the same length 1/4 inch bolts. This gives me room to shift the assembly side to side a bit to get the transmission to clear the frame.
I definitely plan on removing the the entire drivetrain to get to the gearbox. I plan on replacing the clutch disk, and maybe the entire clutch, as well as the main seal while I'm that far in. I'm not worried about any of that. The anxiety comes from all the dirt.

I've watched Kirk Johnson's clutch and transmission videos several times. I will be following along with my laptop next to me as I'm doing the actual procedures. I have the Clymer and BMW Shop Manuals as well.

John's tip about pulling the motor mount bolts and replacing them with 1/4" bolts to allow some play is a great idea and is not mentioned in Kirk's outstanding videos.

Best Regards,
TJ
post #8 of 8 Old Today, 8:57 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tj Nigro View Post
I have begun my gearbox repair/replace project on my 2009 LT. I have removed all the fairings, panniers, top box, fuel tank and seats.

What looked like a pretty clean bike with all the aforementioned parts installed, is very very dirty under the covers.

My question, dumb as it may be, is; can I/should I powerwash all the exposed stuff. I understand not to focus high pressure water on electrical connections and fragile parts. Am I OK getting all the electrical connections wet if I let everything dry thoroughly and hit the connections with WD while wet.

It will be much more enjoyable to work on a clean bike.

Any wisdom to share?
Never use a pressure washer on a car or motorcycle. They can drive detergent and water through oil seals, electrical connectors and other places where you do not want water or detergent. Garden hose has all of the pressure you want.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in