Oil leak K1200LT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Jan 15th, 2020, 9:20 pm Thread Starter

While doing my 1st oil change on the 2009 LT sidecar rig that I purchased a year ago, there is oil on the boot between the back of the trans and the drive shaft. I could not reach it so no smell test. About a month ago I did spill some oil while topping it off. The rig had 11k miles when I bought it and 18k now. How serious is this?
Thanks.

Last edited by Ridn3; Jan 15th, 2020 at 9:47 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Jan 16th, 2020, 10:32 am

Re: Oil leak K1200LT

How much oil? If it is just seepage and a light coat that has attracted dirt, it may not be something that needs to be addressed immediately.
If there is accumulation of visible drops and it is leaving large puddles on the ground it should be taken care of.
It could be trail off of oil you spilled. Determine if it is clean or dirty oil and what kind of oil it is. The transmission on this bike does not share the engine oil like many other bikes do.

Dave
-2000 K1200LT
-------------------------------
Life's too short to ride ugly motorcycles
post #3 of 5 Old Jan 16th, 2020, 6:32 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Clean the area thoroughly, then loosen the clamp on the boot and pull it back. If oil runs out you have an issue. Shine a light up towards the transmission and see if there is an oil trail there (this would be a leaking transmission output shaft seal). If not then the next culprit is the rear drive pinion seal. Unless it is flowing out after the clean up you are OK. I get occasional seepage from the grease in my rear drive pivot bearings and it shows up there, since they have zerk fittings on them and I get carried away with the grease gun.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 5 Old Jan 17th, 2020, 3:17 pm Thread Starter

Just to be sure that we are talking about the same thing, the oil that I'm seeing is on the small boot at the transmission end of the drive shaft housing. Would looking in the tunnel reveal anything?
post #5 of 5 Old Jan 17th, 2020, 7:45 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

You know I thought that was what you said but thought... Yes it would as if the leak is the transmission output seal (and they have been known to weep) you will see a trail of oil. That boot is actually lubricated prior to installation so it will pop over the back of the transmission, but it is held in the swing arm with a retaining clip.

You can pull both foot peg plates off of that side and get a better look at the area, but to effect any fix will involve the removal of the final drive and the swing arm. This may give you a better look ever with a side car rig.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in