• 1 Post By mr1150gs
  • 1 Post By K1200LTSC
  • 2 Post By jzeiler
  • 1 Post By alabrew

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Jan 14th, 2020, 12:32 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Insurance Question

It's been a number of years since I've owned a motorcycle, so it's been a long time since I've purchased motorcycle insurance.

I clicked on the "Insurance" link on the forum header. One provider is shown, Geico.

My questions are; What has been your experience with the large national insurance providers or have you used a local agent to procure insurance? What do you recommend?

Thank you.

Best Regards,
TJ

Last edited by Tj Nigro; Jan 14th, 2020 at 2:59 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Jan 14th, 2020, 1:38 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Garage
Re: Insurance Question

I use the same for home, and cars, and motorcycle... through AAA.
Tj Nigro likes this.

Bob
Covina, CA
2000 K1200LTI Champagne

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 Old Jan 14th, 2020, 2:13 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

I have been with Progressive for 17 years on just my bikes (USAA for the cars and home). Had an "accessory" claim for $2,900 on my Bushtec trailer when it flipped over 2 years ago and the rates never went up. Here in Alabama I cover two bikes, K1200LT and K1300GT, for an annual premium of $269. There are several motorcycle specific insurers like Dairyland, Geico etc. If you do a search here you may find some threads where everyone compared their insurers.

With your project coming up you have some time to shop around for the best deal.
Patric, Poco183 and Tj Nigro like this.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 14 Old Jan 14th, 2020, 6:58 pm

I have Progressive and am in Virginia. I flipped my sidecar rig a year ago. Progressive gave me enough to get a newer, nicer rig , a new helmet and riding pants. How they handle claims is the true measure of an insurance company. They all excel at collecting your premiums.
Patric likes this.
post #5 of 14 Old Jan 14th, 2020, 10:22 pm
Super Moderator

Just remember that all vehicle rates are by state / area thus rates can vary wildly based on where you live and less on what you ride, your age and you record!!

Been with State Farm with no claims and the rate drops year after year - most likely due to my age . . .

What drives me crazy is the savings claims that several firms advertise on TV!!

And is it me or are there just:
- too many vehicle firms advertising on TV
- too many wacky insurance commercials

Rant off . . .

Dan Finazzo

"Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted to get"
post #6 of 14 Old Jan 15th, 2020, 4:24 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler View Post
I have been with Progressive for 17 years on just my bikes (USAA for the cars and home). Had an "accessory" claim for $2,900 on my Bushtec trailer when it flipped over 2 years ago and the rates never went up. Here in Alabama I cover two bikes, K1200LT and K1300GT, for an annual premium of $269. There are several motorcycle specific insurers like Dairyland, Geico etc. If you do a search here you may find some threads where everyone compared their insurers.

With your project coming up you have some time to shop around for the best deal.
An annual premium of $269 for two bikes... I would kill for that since the lowest Iíve seen up here so far is like $800 EACH. Canada eh. But then again I have to factor in the exchange rate...
Tj Nigro likes this.

"If at first you don't succeed... well, so much for skydiving."

BMWMOA - #47511
2015 F700GS - For my better half whenever I'm not using it!
2007 K1200LT - Nice now!
2003 R1150GS -Black Beauty (sold)
2006 K1200LT - Blue Baby (sold)
2003 R1150GS - Yellowbird (sold)
1981 R100CS - Sadly gone
1991 K1100RS - Sold and burned
1986 K100RS - In the past
post #7 of 14 Old Jan 15th, 2020, 9:28 am

Insurance companies are changing there way with dealing with claims. I have one here with State Farm I don't think they know what there doing. Its on 5 weeks already. First they took it to the salvage yard, then took them over a week to bring it to the shop, now it another week and no one knows what is going on. Out of all the companies I work with I would say Progressive is one of the best ones out there. I have them on my own bikes a cars and I work with them on the premium price.
Tj Nigro likes this.
post #8 of 14 Old Jan 15th, 2020, 12:06 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Thanks guys!

Your input has been very helpful.

Unless someone chimes in with some Progressive horror stories, I'm going to give them a hard look.

Have a great day!

Best Regards,
TJ
post #9 of 14 Old Jan 15th, 2020, 12:14 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfinazzo View Post
Just remember that all vehicle rates are by state / area thus rates can vary wildly based on where you live and less on what you ride, your age and you record!!

Been with State Farm with no claims and the rate drops year after year - most likely due to my age . . .

What drives me crazy is the savings claims that several firms advertise on TV!!

And is it me or are there just:
- too many vehicle firms advertising on TV
- too many wacky insurance commercials

Rant off . . .
It's not just you. They are trying to appeal to the lowest common denominator. Buying insurance is a pretty serious matter. They are all competing to have the funniest, cutest ad. What does humor have to do with buying insurance? To me, it's stupid. But it does work. Heck, we're talking about it...

Best Regards,
TJ
post #10 of 14 Old Jan 16th, 2020, 10:27 am

I've done both: thru an agent and direct thru the company website. There was little difference in price and service.
If you like your agent, you can keep him or her.
Bundling with your other policies can help lower premiums but it depends on your carrier. Some carriers are very risk averse and charge at the top of the range for motorcycles because they want all their policy holders driving a Gran Marquis or a Prius.

Dave
-2000 K1200LT
-------------------------------
Life's too short to ride ugly motorcycles
post #11 of 14 Old Jan 17th, 2020, 10:34 am

I don't know why but when I bought insurance for my new '16 RT GEICO was far cheaper than Farmers (I had 3 homes and 2 cars covered by them), and about 2/3 of the cost of Progressive for identical coverage, so I went w/ GEICO. I haven't had any claims but according this this article customer satisfaction is better w/ GEICO and the article validates the cost diff as well:

https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/insu...uto-insurance/

2016 R1200RT - Dreamliner
2013 F800GT - Sold
1986 Parallel Twin Daughters -

1985 Kawasaki 1000 LTD - Sold
1964 Harley Davidson Sprint 250 - Sold
1968 Honda 350 - Sold
post #12 of 14 Old Jan 17th, 2020, 6:23 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:

Based on what I'm seeing, $269 annually for 2 bikes is incredibly cheap. What kind of coverage does that get you? Did you go with all minimal coverage?

Best Regards,
TJ
post #13 of 14 Old Jan 17th, 2020, 7:53 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

That was full coverage 250, 500 & 100K liability with 250 deductible on comprehensive and 1,000 deductible on collision. This includes 3,000 in accessory coverage. But AL is a very inexpensive state. Also I am out in the county and not in a city.
davebullock and Tj Nigro like this.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #14 of 14 Old Jan 18th, 2020, 12:34 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
But AL is a very inexpensive state. Also I am out in the county and not in a city.
+2! State minimum liability coverage for my four bikes is $7 each (the '91 RS gits a $1 discount for the ABS), uninsured coverage is $35 each, with Progressive per year.

They sent a letter the other day to call to see if I qualified for more discounts.
I only insure the bikes with Progressive.
Tj Nigro likes this.

Kim Thomson
Motorcycle Cigar Smoker
05 K1200LT - The Golden Rocket Ship
91 K100RS - The White Stallion
85 K100 Standard - Big Red
79 R65 - "The Bee" is a buzzin' again!
06 525i - Premium, Sport, Comfort, Xenons

Gone, but not forgotten...
02 K1200LTC - Big Blue (accident at 40k)
88 K100RT - Chocolate (it was brown, melted - fire)
85 K100RT - (wore out)
82 Yamaha Vision - (electrics)
72 Yamaha R5C 350 - (broke trans)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in