• 1 Post By Tj Nigro
  • 1 Post By jzeiler
  • 1 Post By alabrew
  • 1 Post By Tj Nigro

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Jan 6th, 2020, 3:13 pm Thread Starter

Garage
EHCS Question

Today I received, from Haulbikes.com, a 2009 K1200LT I purchased from a forum member. It's the one (thread: broken lt) that has a transmission issue.

My question is: Does the gearbox need to be in neutral in order to use the electric/hydraulic center stand? The gearbox is stuck in 3rd gear. Is it the case that the EHCS will not function if the gearbox is engaged, even with the clutch is disengaged?

The reason I ask; the battery was depleted upon arrival. I put in on a charger for a few hours and then tried the EHCS. The EHCS indicator on the instrument panel just flashes and the the EHCS does not start to move. I realize that a couple hours will not produce a charge enough to lift the bike but I thought it might move the stand until it contacted the ground.

Best Regards,
TJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Jan 6th, 2020, 3:55 pm

Re: EHCS Question

Yes that's right, the transmission needs to be in neutral.
post #3 of 15 Old Jan 6th, 2020, 4:23 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazza View Post
Yes that's right, the transmission needs to be in neutral.
I was afraid of that...

Thanks for the reply.

Best Regards,
TJ

post #4 of 15 Old Jan 6th, 2020, 4:57 pm

So you received the bike a little early, nice!

Are you not able to select gears manually? Do you have any play in the gear lever?

If you are looking at a tear down would remove the battery and keep a charge on it overnight to see if it can get up to and maintain over 12 volts.

"If at first you don't succeed... well, so much for skydiving."

BMWMOA - #47511
2015 F700GS - For my better half whenever I'm not using it!
2007 K1200LT - Nice now!
2003 R1150GS -Black Beauty (sold)
2006 K1200LT - Blue Baby (sold)
2003 R1150GS - Yellowbird (sold)
1981 R100CS - Sadly gone
1991 K1100RS - Sold and burned
1986 K100RS - In the past
post #5 of 15 Old Jan 6th, 2020, 5:08 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr1150gs View Post
So you received the bike a little early, nice!

Are you not able to select gears manually? Do you have any play in the gear lever?

If you are looking at a tear down would remove the battery and keep a charge on it overnight to see if it can get up to and maintain over 12 volts.
The gear lever has no play.

They had told me January 8th so yes, a couple days early. BTW I have to recommend Haulbikes.com. Their communication was very good and the bike arrived undamaged and early. The cost was very reasonable (I think). $525 from Medford, OR to Kansas City, MO.

The previous owner said the battery was relatively new, and it looks it. But yes, I will keep it on a trickle.
beech likes this.

Best Regards,
TJ
post #6 of 15 Old Jan 6th, 2020, 5:39 pm

Sounds like an interesting project. Keep us posted!

BMWMOA - #47511
2007 K1200LT - Nice now!
1981 R100CS - Sadly gone
post #7 of 15 Old Jan 6th, 2020, 5:59 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Put the battery on a conventional charger for a few hours each day - do not leave it on all the time. Do this over several days until the open terminal voltage is 12.6 the next day before putting the charger back on. then you will know it will be OK. This will help bring it back from the dead and I have had good luck with this method. Especially on PC-680 batteries that were completely dead.

You can manually deploy the center stand with some help from a few people, mostly to hold the bike upright, as you move the stand down to contact the floor. Then just pull the bike back and it will go right up.

I'll chime in again when you get ready to open up the transmission as there is a few tricks to make it go smoothly.
kbob12 likes this.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 15 Old Yesterday, 12:37 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler View Post
Put the battery on a conventional charger for a few hours each day - do not leave it on all the time. Do this over several days until the open terminal voltage is 12.6 the next day before putting the charger back on. then you will know it will be OK. This will help bring it back from the dead and I have had good luck with this method. Especially on PC-680 batteries that were completely dead.

You can manually deploy the center stand with some help from a few people, mostly to hold the bike upright, as you move the stand down to contact the floor. Then just pull the bike back and it will go right up.

I'll chime in again when you get ready to open up the transmission as there is a few tricks to make it go smoothly.
jzeiler, I will definitely take you up on that offer when I get the gearbox off the bike. Thanks for everyones input.

Best Regards,
TJ
post #9 of 15 Old Yesterday, 1:56 pm
Lifetime Supporter

"You can manually deploy the center stand with some help from a few people, mostly to hold the bike upright, as you move the stand down to contact the floor. Then just pull the bike back and it will go right up.

I roll the rear wheel onto a 2x4 and lay a board perpendicular across the stand for both of us to push against to make it easier to git her up.
Tj Nigro likes this.

Kim Thomson
Motorcycle Cigar Smoker
05 K1200LT - The Golden Rocket Ship
91 K100RS - The White Stallion
85 K100 Standard - Big Red
79 R65 - "The Bee" is a buzzin' again!
06 525i - Premium, Sport, Comfort, Xenons

Gone, but not forgotten...
02 K1200LTC - Big Blue (accident at 40k)
88 K100RT - Chocolate (it was brown, melted - fire)
85 K100RT - (wore out)
82 Yamaha Vision - (electrics)
72 Yamaha R5C 350 - (broke trans)
post #10 of 15 Old Yesterday, 2:38 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by alabrew View Post
"You can manually deploy the center stand with some help from a few people, mostly to hold the bike upright, as you move the stand down to contact the floor. Then just pull the bike back and it will go right up.

I roll the rear wheel onto a 2x4 and lay a board perpendicular across the stand for both of us to push against to make it easier to git her up.
Thanks, I'll try that.

I'm gonna feel a lot better when it's on the center stand. The side stand seems a little precarious. It feels like it could too easily roll forward and off the side stand. Besides, it'll have to be on the CS to work on it.

Best Regards,
TJ
post #11 of 15 Old Yesterday, 4:59 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tj Nigro View Post
Thanks, I'll try that.

I'm gonna feel a lot better when it's on the center stand. The side stand seems a little precarious. It feels like it could too easily roll forward and off the side stand. Besides, it'll have to be on the CS to work on it.
As s a new LT owner, I will go through some of the basics particular to the bike, as follows:

With the weight of this bike, it is particularly important to ensure it is not pointing downwards on any appreciable slope. It is also useful to ensure it is in locked in gear, as yours is now, and cannot move any further forward. With these two steps taken into consideration, you should not have issues with the side stand.

If you have a scissors jack, which will come handy when you drop the tranny, you can use it carefully making sure it is forward of the center stand and resting on the bash plate. Lift the bike on this jack just enough to deploy the center stand by hand.

You will then be able to remove the hydraulic module to do a bench test (did the battery come back to life?) and work on the bike.

There are numerous videos out there to help you work on this bike, let us know what you need and we are here for you!!

Best,
M

BMWMOA - #47511
2007 K1200LT - Nice now!
1981 R100CS - Sadly gone
post #12 of 15 Old Yesterday, 5:17 pm

Garage

Quote:
...Besides, it'll have to be on the CS to work on it.
Project Warning:
I don't think the transmission can be serviced in a meaningful way while on the bike. To get the transmission off the bike, you'll have to remove the center/side stand assembly completely. Also the rear wheel, rear drive, swing arm and paralever, the shaft, the tank, pull out the injector rail, detach/lift the air-box, then loosen the front screws that hold the engine and completely pull out the transmission attachment screw to sink it enough to be able to pull it out. Is a major work.

Please see this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVOpRUf40OM

"05 LT
post #13 of 15 Old Yesterday, 10:05 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Here is a little light reading to help you prepare for the task at hand. While the main focus here is clutch replacement, you have to remove the transmission to do that.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Changing a Main Seal and Clutch Slave Cylinder Guide.pdf (3.87 MB, 14 views)

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #14 of 15 Old Today, 11:34 am Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler View Post
Here is a little light reading to help you prepare for the task at hand. While the main focus here is clutch replacement, you have to remove the transmission to do that.
I'm truly grateful for the input from you guys. I know this is an ambitious project. I'm no stranger to mechanics and I figure I can follow instructions. I've watched Kirk Johnson's videos a number of time. and will watch them again. I will have a laptop handy while doing the work to follow the videos step by step and be able to playback parts.

I'm going to print out the pdf (thanks jzeiler) as a guide along with the Clymer and BMW Shop manuals.

I think the key is not getting in a hurry. Kinda like eating an elephant; one bite at a time. It'll be fun!
Voyager likes this.

Best Regards,
TJ
post #15 of 15 Old Today, 5:25 pm

Quote:
I'm truly grateful for the input from you guys. I know this is an ambitious project. I'm no stranger to mechanics and I figure I can follow instructions. I've watched Kirk Johnson's videos a number of time. and will watch them again. I will have a laptop handy while doing the work to follow the videos step by step and be able to playback parts.

I'm going to print out the pdf (thanks jzeiler) as a guide along with the Clymer and BMW Shop manuals.

I think the key is not getting in a hurry. Kinda like eating an elephant; one bite at a time. It'll be fun!

That is always the best way to approach a project like this. Never dwell on the size of the entire job but instead look at it as a bunch of smaller tasks that lead to your final goal.
At the end of it you wonder what all the fuss was about.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in