BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

2009 K1200LT Transmission Compatibility

799 views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  alexs 
#1 ·
I've recently purchased a 2009 K1200LT from a forum member that has a transmission issue.

At this point, I don't know that I'll have to replace the gearbox, but assuming I do, what model years gearboxes are compatible with a 2009?

I recently asked about shipping the bike and received some good input. Thanks to those that responded. I've arranged shipping with Haulbikes.com. I will report on their performance after I receive the bike. It will be on it's way soon and I'm getting excited!

#3 ·
The only difference is the color of the paint, early ones are black, late ones are bare. There is a difference on the 99-2000 that makes it heavier by 2 pounds (not sure what that is) so I would stick to the 2001 and on. The only weak part of the transmission is the input shaft bearing, the rest is pretty bullet proof.

Reactions: Patric
#5 ·
IIRC, the 6 speed K1200RS trans. fits too. You lose reverse, but you gain 6th.

#6 ·
I'd go for the 6th instead of the reverse gear, an experienced LT owner will use it rarely.
But there's one caveat with the "no reverse" option: there's a position switch on the 05-09 LT that monitors the position of the reverse gear handle/lever. If it is engaged some functions are disabled. I'm not sure now whether it is normally closed or open when in normal position, but it has to be taken into consideration.

#7 ·
I don't know bout not needing reverse. I've had my LT for 8 years. Yea it's only occasionally that i use it. But when i need it. Thankfully it's there. That bikes too damn heavy without it.

Reactions: kbob12
#8 ·
True. It is heavy. I got used to seek to park the bike pointing slightly uphill. That way also no risk the bike will roll forward while on either stand, which it can, given its weight. Not too much "uphill pointing" when on center stand though, so I can still thrust the monster off the stand without breaking my back. :grin:

Anyway, I wouldn't recommend anything but the actual LT gearbox. It was just a thought, I would think that the 6 speed gear ratios are spread differently with more torque on the wheel in the lower gears. That would be interesting to test.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.