BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

K1200LT Radio Dead

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  fredtman 
#1 ·
I’ve searched the forums for my radio problem and have tried all the quick fixes, but still no radio/CD. I have a 2002 LT with 42K miles on it. The radio has stopped working quite often while riding, but I just hit the power button and it comes right back. Twice in the 4 years I have owned this bike the radio went off and would not come back with just the power button. The disabled battery trick fixed that both times. Now it has gone out again and nothing works to get it back. Disabled the battery 3 times, pulled and checked all fuses twice, pulled the whole unit out and checked the 10 amp fuse in back, saw no water or corrosion, sprayed contact cleaner on circuit boards and all connectors, all to no avail. The CD player is also inop and I am not even able to eject the CD that is in it now. When I hit the power button the display lights up and about 10 seconds later it says “NO RADIO”. So, I know that at least I am getting power to it.
In some posts from 2012 I read about Baris, in England, that works on these radios. I’ve also contacted Becker. Baris said he can fix it, but didn’t give me a price yet. Becker said about $325. I’ll probably send it to one of these or just live without it, but wanted to give all of you experts out there one last chance to tell me about a cheaper, easier fix. Thanks for any ideas you have.

#2 ·
Did you open up the controller (part with the buttons), the rubber around the buttons cracks and lets water in causing corrosion.

#3 ·
jzeiler - yes, I opened the control unit also and didn’t see any sign of moister or corrosion. I held the cover with the buttons on it up to a light, looking at both sides and couldn’t see any cracks or pin holes.
Thanks for the suggestion, though.

#4 ·
The NO RADIO ident comes up when the controller can't talk to the radio over the I-Bus. That is on pin 7 of the radio connector. Remove the radio connector completely from the radio and refit it. Look for damage to the loom, both there and at the controller and display connections (three large connectors front left of the stingray.)

If you have a 'scope you can check to see what activity there is on the bus. An analogue multimeter may also show activity but not a digital one. There should be a burst of activity as soon as you come out of standby, then the display computer will start requesting status from all the devices. If all that is seen, then it could be that the radio itself has died, but it would surprise me. Can you borrow one for a substitution test?

I may sell my fully upgraded radio soon, as I am working on an interface to enable every button and control to operate another aftermarket head unit.

#6 ·
Not sure if this will apply to you, but I also have a 2002 K1200LT. My radio quit for no apparent reason, not sure what the symptoms were (this was several years ago) but what I found was that when I removed the stingray as part of a tear down for another issue (dreaded ABS failure...) I found that one of the modular connectors had come loose. It seems to me that there were several connectors.but only one of them had come loose. These wire bundles and connectors live underneath the stingray and run along the top of the gas tank.

I am currently waiting for Module Master to fix and return my ABS unit, so I havent put it all back together yet!

#7 · (Edited)
I read here that your ABS unit failed on your ‘02 and that you’re waiting to get it back. I just went to their website and it states that the unit is still under development. Did you send yours in for them to actually work on? I’ve been waiting for 4 years for them to come through.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.