BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Your Experience Shipping a K1200LT

905 views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Tj Nigro 
#1 ·
I've purchased a K1200LT that needs to be shipped from Oregon to Missouri.

Looking for suggestions for a reliable, careful hauler and any other things to consider or avoid.

Thank you.

#2 ·
Haul Bikes has done a good job hauling a couple of bikes coast to coast for friends of mine. They pick them up at my place and ten weeks later drop them of at my place no complaints. It was a year and a half ago. They were two big Harleys and it was $ 1100.00 for both round trip. You save a lot if you have the pick up and drop of at a business.

#7 ·
They ship there bikes out west and they flew out there went touring flew back, and the bikes where shipped back. For the price they got the shipper took a little extra time shipping the bikes. $1100.00 for two bikes back and forth coast to coast I didn't think that was to bad. The whole thing was ten weeks.

#8 · (Edited)
When I sold my K1200LT the buyer and I arranged for shipment - the shipper told us that they would drop a skid for loading. The truck that showed up had the skid to tie down the bike on the truck - without the ability to put it on the ground. I had to drive the bike up on an "automated lift gate" with inches to spare - by far the most stupid thing I have ever done!! :eek: If I had fell off the lift gate it was my liability both financially and medically!! Did I say this was a complete lack of judgement on my part to put a 900# bike on a lift gate - yes I did.

Well many of these companies just sub out the pick and drop off services work to others and this is where the problem occured!! Make damn sure you get it in writing how the bike will be loaded and unloaded for protection for both you and the seller!

Good luck . . .

Rant off . . .

Just my 2¢

#9 · (Edited)
All good points, which is why I chose Haulbikes.com. They show up with 18 wheeler to your house. Driver and assistant carefully photograph everything and load your bike. They don't do pallets either. They have custom double-decker trailer. Can handle about 10 bikes on top, 10 down. They tie-down your bike directly to those decks. None of the other shippers do that.
All those other Internet bike shipping companies are actually just some guy running a broker operation out of his basement. He has nothing to do with the actual trucking company. Haulbikes IS the trucking company --No middleman.

in Knoxville waiting to offload Pic

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.