Refrofitting a "Motor" center stand to a L12LT with out one - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By jzeiler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Nov 29th, 2019, 4:00 pm Thread Starter

Refrofitting a "Motor" center stand to a L12LT with out one

I spine issues just got more complicated so i can not longer put the bike on the center stand with my own muscles..

I know they are over complicate and finiky but i'm going to need one to do tire changes and other work..

Sincerely I have not look under the bike to see if the mount points are there (Because my very limited range of motion) so i'm asking you guys, before I waste my time and energy find in one and then losing the effort because it will not fit..

I think my bike is a 2001 (Before the servo wive debacle for sure)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Nov 29th, 2019, 5:45 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Re: Refrofitting a "Motor" center stand to a L12LT with out one

Yes you just have to buy a 05 and up center stand unit (yes it will bolt right up in place of your old one) and then you need to get the actuator and the cradle that holds it. Then you need a relay and a switch at a minimum to operate it. Many here have done this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0090.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	487.1 KB
ID:	155197  
kbob12 likes this.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 Old Nov 29th, 2019, 7:37 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler View Post
Yes you just have to buy a 05 and up center stand unit (yes it will bolt right up in place of your old one) and then you need to get the actuator and the cradle that holds it. Then you need a relay and a switch at a minimum to operate it. Many here have done this.
Muchas gracias

The wrenching i can do no problem...

Now to find the best source to get a kit,, this motor is going to be imperative to be able to keep working on the bike..

as a funny aneglote..

more than ones I uses come alongs, small winches, to lift my super heavy loaded GSsw (350-400 pounds of load by fixing the center stand so it those not slide backwards and then the pulling the bike backwards, or a little more riky, connecting the two legs of the center stand and using the front wheel as anchor (Higher risk of the bike falling over you, plus mediocre mechanical advantage but it was fully self contained

every one time I manage to do it by my self with out ever dropping the bike (by pure miracle)

I refuse ot learn how to drive a car until I was 49 and we decide to make kiddos

some fun Pictures of some great adventures.

Question: is that a picture if a set you are selling..!!?

Last edited by Ricardo Kuhn; Nov 29th, 2019 at 9:33 pm.

post #4 of 8 Old Nov 29th, 2019, 10:35 pm

It is actually simple to do. The hardest part was finding one for sale. I am not sure how to refer to my posting but search for this title:
retro fitting the electric center stand
And then you can search for my follow up title:
Electric center stand follow up

Many said it was a dangerous thing to do because there are no interlocks. In theory I could push the button while riding down the freeway. I think it is safe and I am approaching two years with it and I love it. I found no need for a relay. I just used a heavy duty, quality switch. No relay is one less part to fail.
Good luck.

Still rolling in Southern Oregon
post #5 of 8 Old Nov 29th, 2019, 11:27 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by garage monster View Post
It is actually simple to do. The hardest part was finding one for sale. I am not sure how to refer to my posting but search for this title:
retro fitting the electric center stand
And then you can search for my follow up title:
Electric center stand follow up
The model has been face out for so long I'm sure I ger lucky on the MOA Market place one of this days..

Quote:

Many said it was a dangerous thing to do because there are no interlocks. In theory I could push the button while riding down the freeway. I think it is safe and I am approaching two years with it and I love it. I found no need for a relay. I just used a heavy duty, quality switch. No relay is one less part to fail.
Good luck.
I spend half my life retrofits helos, planes and some very serous vehicles, far from a expert in electricity or electronics but installing redundant back ups and/or bi passing systems I think I can do and if not ask..
post #6 of 8 Old Nov 30th, 2019, 6:00 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardo Kuhn View Post
Muchas gracias

some fun Pictures of some great adventures.

Question: is that a picture if a set you are selling..!!?
I though I was wild hauling home 2 sacks of concrete on my old Suzuki GT-750 but you have me beat on the wild loads!

No not my kit but if you can find a cradle and center stand on eBay, I have four rebuilt actuators sitting on the shelf so I have you covered there.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 8 Old Dec 5th, 2019, 7:51 pm

Ricardo: I wish you all the best with your physical challenges. In think it's great that you are figuring out solutions that keep you riding.

Mike
post #8 of 8 Old Dec 6th, 2019, 1:00 am

Yes, as jzeiler said, it is doable on an 01 as I did it on mine. There is one other part you may want and that is the skid plate that goes on the bottom of the cradle. I made one out of heavy gauge sheet metal to protect the actuator so 4 parts total needed for a retrofit and the wiring and button you are on your own to figure out.

There are some pictures of the one I made at post #38 here. Make sure any wires are above the cradle as they will scrape the ground in turns.

https://www.bmwlt.com/forums/k1200lt...my-%24500.html

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by bmwcoolk1200; Dec 6th, 2019 at 1:06 am.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in