Ever Consider repainting your bike? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old Jan 15th, 2007, 6:04 pm Thread Starter

Ever Consider repainting your bike?

I bought my LT a couple of months ago and I can't say enough about how good I have it! I only wish for a different color, buying used does not offer a choice. I have the canyon red and it's not cutting it. How bad is it going to be to repaint my bike a different color? I would think the easiest way would be to take the fairing sides off along with the rest of the stuff and take it down to the paint shop. Right? Could somone enlighten me with a dose of reality.

Thanks guys.
P
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old Jan 15th, 2007, 6:11 pm

I did mine the year before last. It involves a complete strip-down --- I took 27 pieces to the painter. It wasn't cheap but it satisfied my need. No regrets !
post #3 of 21 Old Jan 15th, 2007, 6:51 pm

Smile

I was quoted $1600.00 to repaint mine from silver to black, provided I take all the pieces off and take them to the shop

post #4 of 21 Old Jan 16th, 2007, 7:20 am

Sounds like we all need to see what colors we want and trade them around. I have charcoal and would have loved to found a silver, red, blue, green, mauve, basically anything but black or charcoal. My Vstrom was Charcoal and it didn't take long for me to repaint it myself. LEss pieces though. IT took basicall a weekend day to dismantle, wetsand, prime, and paint the Vstrom, and get it back together. The LT would take a bit longer, due to the complexity of disassembly. The wetsand, prime and paint wouldn't take all that long. I used Duplicolor sprays for the Vstrom and wouldn't have a bit of problem using that on the LT. The clear shines up nicely and if done right, can look as good as a pro job. If you;re a tightwad like me, spendinbg a couple hundred bucks in materials and doing it yourself is pretty rewarding.

I just haven't figured out what color the LT should be. And I'm kinda trashy when it comes to graphics. Be hard for me to resist flames or something like that and the LT isn't really a flammable bike.

If P were closer, I'd offer to trade bodies. LT bodies, that is.....

Rando
post #5 of 21 Old Jan 16th, 2007, 12:37 pm

oh man,

I've an '02 Mauve and would love to trade out for anything BUT Mauve...

Way good chance that while she's "stood up" for the winter, I'll pull all 'er plastics off and do the paint thing here. Exploring colors. Yellow/Black "bumble" bee has it's charms. Blue/Silver does too.

Ain't gonna start until I make a choice though.

Perl?
Metal flake?
Graphics?
I dunno yet. Guess it's time to subscribe to some magazine or something to get some ideas.

Tate

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Zotter; Jan 16th, 2007 at 12:47 pm.
post #6 of 21 Old Jan 16th, 2007, 2:25 pm

Funny, I have a basalt gray, and I think the Canyon Red or bBlack bikes are the ones I would love to have. I guess everyone has different tastes. I do wished BMW would give a few more color options. BUT, the color not withstanding, I love the bike!!! jrlakin
post #7 of 21 Old Jan 16th, 2007, 2:56 pm

Glad this topic came up. I'm in the market for a new bike but the LT doesn't seem to come in any color I really like (need something BRIGHT, like the 2002 pearl orange GL1800) so I might have to factor in the repainting cost.
post #8 of 21 Old Jan 16th, 2007, 3:02 pm

I'm about to have mine repainted

Too many scratches and touchups that are apparent. If not Canyon Red again, what to do? ... maybe pearl white. I'll decide in a few weeks.

Regards,
John

2000 K1200 LTC - Canyon Red
post #9 of 21 Old Jan 16th, 2007, 3:32 pm

Dang. I'm getting a 2000 in "Silver" (that is, it's kinda Champagne-y). I would rather have had red, mauve, or charcoal. But there are some significant scrapes and scratches in the bodywork, so I would only want to trade with someone whose tupper is similarly chewed-on.
post #10 of 21 Old Jan 16th, 2007, 3:43 pm

If any of you guys are really serious about painting Pm me,
I've got quite a few body parts (in Silver) but most of them have a scratch or scrape somewhere from the accident making them a little less desirable to sell, but if you're planning on sanding and priming anyway I would make you a good deal

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #11 of 21 Old Jan 16th, 2007, 3:52 pm
fas

Talking painting, a perfect winter activity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatever
I bought my LT a couple of months ago and I can't say enough about how good I have it! I only wish for a different color, buying used does not offer a choice. I have the canyon red and it's not cutting it. How bad is it going to be to repaint my bike a different color? I would think the easiest way would be to take the fairing sides off along with the rest of the stuff and take it down to the paint shop. Right? Could somone enlighten me with a dose of reality.

Thanks guys.
P
I'm going to have the GT done. Want the top case to match, like Joe's. I'm going for a red hot red. I'll let you know how it goes. One of my clients is a paint company and they have some trick metallic paints that are really good looking.

Rob Nelson

2006 K1200GT [now lives in Wisconsin]
Grey Goose
2002 K1200LTC [now lives in Georgia]
Toscana Temptress

More than 132,000 (recently corrected higher) motorcycle riders have died in traffic crashes since the enactment of the Highway Safety Act of 1966 and The National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966. Be careful out there.
post #12 of 21 Old Jan 16th, 2007, 7:10 pm Thread Starter

For some reason everyone always comments on how they like the red, but I would love to have a silver one instead. Another thing to consider is originality. How different do you want your LT to be from the rest?
Also If your going to do a full repaint at least look different
I don't think I could do flames, racing stripes do NOT belong on this bike.

What about the cool designs I see on fancy RV"S, busses and Corporate jets?
I think that might look cool.

Peter
post #13 of 21 Old Jan 16th, 2007, 10:57 pm

Having never painted a bike, I'm wondering what the difference is between paint used for metal and that used for plastic. Can anyone shed some light on that for me? I've heard of people using Krylon but I suppose they weren't painting very expensive bikes.

Peter Tessin
2002 Champagne
post #14 of 21 Old Jan 17th, 2007, 1:15 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger
Having never painted a bike, I'm wondering what the difference is between paint used for metal and that used for plastic. Can anyone shed some light on that for me? I've heard of people using Krylon but I suppose they weren't painting very expensive bikes.
The paint for plastics is the same paint as used on cars (metal ones). The difference is that you add a flex agent to the primer and to the clearcoat. This is what is done on autos with plastic nose covers and rear bumper covers and any other plastic parts.
There is at least one maker of clearcoat that claims that you don't need a flex agent with their paint...but I dunno, I like the peace of mind knowing that it is there.
post #15 of 21 Old Jan 17th, 2007, 7:15 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger
Krylon is a pretty tough paint, all things considered. If done properly, I would have no problem with a Krylon LT. Of course, the color selection is not as exciting as the automotive paints. Mostly solids. But it does gloss up nicely when done right.

I put Duplicolor spray bombs in the same class as Krylon, as far as finishing goes. I did my Vstrom with the Duplicolor Color shifting paints and it looked great. Even the painter that painted my previous bike was impressed with my backyard bomb job. I got tired of it though and re painted with Marina blue Duplicolor with no clear, so that it didn't have a shiny finish and it looked great... for three days til I crashed. It was kinda heartbreaking because as much as I wanted a new bike, I had decided to keep the strom for a while. Now I am an LT owner.

Not sure how I'd go with the LT. As someone said, stripes, flames, etc, don;t, imo, go with the character of the bike really. But that is a purley personal thing. I'm sure flames or any graphics, for that matter, could be done to suit the owner and that's the only person that counts. I can't get excited enough about any color to re-do mine just yet. I have a blue helmet and that might be a facotr in deciding, if I ever decide to do it. Not a factory blue, though. Something different. BMWs color choices are a bit too conservative for me.

Rando.
post #16 of 21 Old Jan 17th, 2007, 9:51 am

Repainting your LT

I say paint it...Being a good ol boy and to cheap to have a professional paint it...I decided to give it a try...Took about a day to disassemble the plastic and yes there's a lot of it...Went to the local paint store and found some GMC Torch Red paint...Clear Coat, thinners, hardeners...etc etc...about $125.00 worth of paint and went at it...What you see here are the end results...I painted the wheels, drive shaft and bottoms flat black out of a rattle can...Now when I change tires I just touch up my wheels from the scratches... I live on a gravel road about 1/4 to pavement...It has received different reactions from people...Some love it and some...Oh well can't please everyone...I have noticed that since changing from Impala Brown to Red, I've had a lot less people pulling out in front of me...Anyhow go for it it's not that hard to tear apart and get back together only had 2 extra screws left this time...Have fun...I'm getting ready to repaint mine again....Thinking Purple and Green...Be safe and ride Hard...

Chuck & Jackie Gordon
2003 Torch Red (Impala Brown)
2002 Black (Crashed)
1981 FLT (County Bike)
Mountain Home, AR
post #17 of 21 Old Jan 17th, 2007, 9:57 am

I would love to have found my 05LT in the 02 Pacific Blue or Black color.

I may end up painting it one of these days - I find my 05 "Charcole Metallic"
alittle too conservative for me. I pinstriped it in contrasting colors and it just did not look " right " even tho I did a good job so I peeled it off..

One of these winters it will make for a good garage project !

47+ Yrs Daily Motorcycle Street riding for Therapy

2012 Victory Cross Country Tour

2007 Black Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - Sold
2007 Red Moto Guzzi Norge 1200 - Sold
2005 LT Dark Graphite - (Sold)
2005 PearlBlue FJR1300 (Sold)
3 BMW's, 8 HD baggers, 3 Goldwings & 860K + miles later
*Ridin steady since 1973

post #18 of 21 Old Jan 17th, 2007, 12:19 pm

I would definately like to repaint mine too!! I had my RT repainted after trading my son-in-law my big roll-around MAC tool chest for one of his paint jobs. There was at least 24 hours of body prep-work done on it prior to paint......and that took about 8 hours!.....then another 48 to dry. Worth it?? Hell yeah....to me it was! The only negative to the whole thing was.....I chose a real light color.....and the mixer got his signals crossed and sent a real dark color..............the painter (my S-I-L) didn't know what the color was supposed to be......and it was all done before I saw it. I just about had a cow when I saw it............but after seeing the color out in the sun light....I decided to keep it after all..........

Patterson/USAF1....'05 LT
and the little guy behind me is the world famous "Marty Hill"
Never look into a lazer with the remaining eye
363K on BMW's

Last edited by PATTERSON; Jan 17th, 2007 at 12:30 pm. Reason: added material
post #19 of 21 Old Jan 17th, 2007, 5:24 pm

I'd love to have mine painted. When buying I had two bikes to choose from, a Champers, and the Toscana, I like the Champoo colour, but SWMBO wanted the green devil, so thats what I ended up with.

If I started to strip the bike for a paintjob, I'd be show her old bike which needs a tank respray, and the Hardtail which needs a complete re-build - polish and paint. Oh! to dream of a custom paint! any painters in the Gloucester (that's UK Glos) area wanna spray my bikes?

Lets see some custom paint job pics of any LTs.

Rgds
Mike

"For those that know, no explanation is needed,
For those that don't, no explanation is possible."

2001 K12 LT Toscana Green AKA Baby Sh*t Green
Kawasaki EN500 - been sold on!
Hardtail Chopper ( Honda CB 500 engine) in a box still!
post #20 of 21 Old Jan 17th, 2007, 8:27 pm

Color Option

Had too do it. Get the emery cloth out and start sanding....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	John Deere LT.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	9447  

Craig Hutchison
02 Pac Blue (Aka Blue Ox)
34° 14’ 12.63 N
119° 01’ 21.64 W

Why coast through Life when you can Corner it.
post #21 of 21 Old Jan 18th, 2007, 9:56 am

As was stated earlier in this thread, be sure and use a primer, paint, and clear with the flex in it. If you don't it can crack with any flex or minor hit to the body. There are several suppliers on the net that sell almost any color with the flex in it and in a spray can if you choose. I repaired the plastic bed on my truck and you could not tell there was a chunk missing out of the wheel well. It went on well. Thinking about doing my bike but like alot of you guys I just don't know what color..

If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans

Jerry P. Hatley

2007 R1200RT (Betty Lou)
2009 Harley Roadglide (sold)
2007 Goldwing (sold)
1999 BMW K1200LT (sold)
2004 Harley Ultra Classic (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra Classic (sold)
1998 Harley Roadking Classic (sold)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in