More problems and solutions - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By Toolmaker
  • 1 Post By Patric

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Nov 22nd, 2019, 6:29 am Thread Starter

More problems and solutions

Hello again.

My final drives looseness was caused by someone throwing away a .6mm shim. While doing this they destroyed the swing arm and pivot pin threads, different post.

The ball bearing had some discoloration and the tapered bearing had odd wear patterns from bouncing around in .6mm of slop. both were replaced.

I tried to measure the shim thickness by heating the cover over the bearing and pulling the gear assembly up and down while reading a dial indicator. I came up with a gap thickness of .019 thousands. After making shims and reassembling I noticed I could still move the shims. If there is .002 press on the shims they should never move. I disassembled again and decided to use the gap provided by the missing seal to measure directly by using feeler gauge.

Using the feelers I found the shim stack needed to fill .021 thousands gap, or be .023-.025 thick. I reassembled and am satisfied that measuring direct with feeler gauges is,at least in my case, more accurate.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2378resized.JPG
Views:	26
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	155111   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2379resixed.JPG
Views:	24
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	155113  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Nov 22nd, 2019, 9:16 am

Re: More problems and solutions

There are several different ways to get the clearance for the shim pack and some are more accurate than others. Since the tolerance for the preload is right about 4 thousandths, the more accurately you can measure, the better. This is the first time I have seen pictures of someone using a feeler gauge. What was the step in thickness between the gauges you used. That will be the closest you can get in accuracy for overshoot or undershoot. Also, did you shim to the high, middle or low side when you made the shim. This is the first time I have heard of anyone making their own shims but your handle toolmaker is not lost on me.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 Old Nov 22nd, 2019, 2:50 pm Thread Starter

What can I say, .020 thou was loose, .022 would not fit, and .021 felt just right.

I made my own shims because I waited two week for the bmw to get me a $21.00 6mm spacer. When it arrived the packaging and part number were right but once home I realized the packaging was open and had a .3mm shim in it. Rather than taking the shim back, 3hrs round trip, I decided to make my own.

.010 shim 6"x 3ft was $12.00, and .002 shim 6"x 3ft was $4.95. With the .021 gap I needed the .3mm at .0118+.010+.002 for a grand total of .0238, with the target of .023 to.025 this puts me near the middle of the spec.

Thanks for your comments
Dave
Patric and bmwcoolk1200 like this.

post #4 of 4 Old Nov 23rd, 2019, 1:30 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Hi Dave, I am just wondering how ..or what you used to cut the shim stock.. That stuff is harder than my head
kbob12 likes this.

Patric Blackman
2002 K1200LT/Hannigan2+2
2010 R1200GSA ...1987 Helix...
AMA Charter Lifemember
37 Year Member of both BMWMOA & BMWRA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in