5Likes
  • 1 Post By newguy
  • 2 Post By Voyager
  • 1 Post By red85k100rs
  • 1 Post By crazy frog

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old Nov 21st, 2019, 7:05 pm Thread Starter

Broken LT

I went to downshift about a month ago and the shifter did a great impression on a wet dishrag. At first I thought it was just a broken post that held the linkage together. I was in third gear at the time, so I limped it across town to the dealership. Turns out it is internal in the transmission.

Here's the thing. The bike has just short of 40,000 miles on it. By the time we open it up and do all the recommended maintenance, seals, etc, I'm going to be out somewhere around $4000- $5000. This is a Black 2009 with lots of farkles; aftermarket seats, backrest, windshield, floorboards, highway pegs, NAV, etc. The bike is in perfect shape other than this. It runs great. It just doesn't go anywhere. It's never been dumped.

So, do I sell it as is or part it out? I've decided I would rather put that money toward a new or almost new 1600 GTL or B

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old Nov 21st, 2019, 7:57 pm

Re: Broken LT

Transmission on Ebay, 25,000 mi $294. Buy that and just have the shop swap.
Patric likes this.
post #3 of 17 Old Nov 21st, 2019, 9:21 pm

If you fill in a little more of your profile, people will know where you are. Some may be interested in getting the bike or others may be willing to help you fix it. Except for a few input shaft bearings, the transmissions have been pretty bullet proof so buying an Ebay one would be pretty safe.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 17 Old Nov 22nd, 2019, 10:58 am Thread Starter

I am in Southern Oregon. I've updated my info as suggested. Used tranny sounds like a great idea. Wouldn't have thought of ebay. Not sure if I'm ready to tackle that big of a job. Has anybody here replaced the transmission? How long would it take?
post #5 of 17 Old Nov 22nd, 2019, 11:40 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I am in Southern Oregon. I've updated my info as suggested. Used tranny sounds like a great idea. Wouldn't have thought of ebay. Not sure if I'm ready to tackle that big of a job. Has anybody here replaced the transmission? How long would it take?
There are many who have had a seal or o-ring leak inside the bellhousing and had to remove the transmission to get at it. It is a big job but if you are comfortable turning a wrench and have a Clymer manual, it is very doable. A lift helps but is not an absolute requirement, you are just working at ground level. If you go with Ebay, make sure you get an K1200LT transmission and not a K1200RS. The difference is the RS has 6 gears and the LT has 5 plus reverse.

By your profile updates, you are no stranger to the LT.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by bmwcoolk1200; Nov 22nd, 2019 at 11:50 am.
post #6 of 17 Old Nov 22nd, 2019, 1:37 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

You may want to give out a shout to Ernie (ErnieA) in the Portland area. He is a savvy guy on LTs and might be able to help.

A tranny swap can be done in a day but as Gordon said it is a big job and requires a few special tools, having said that since it is a big job it is worth while to check the clutch bits while you are in there. There are a few thing you would also want to replace.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #7 of 17 Old Nov 22nd, 2019, 6:40 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
I have not replaced my transmission, but I did remove it and install it again so I guess that counts.

I had to replace my clutch and I did it over the course of 5 weeks, but most of that was waiting for parts and doing other things. If you had all of the parts and tools on hand and only did a tranny swap and nothing else, I would say it could be done in one long day (12-14 hours), faster if you have done it before. I would estimate I had closer to 24 hours to do mine, but I replaced the clutch, output shaft o-ring, replaced the seals in the tranny, etc. and it was my first time so you have the noodle time trying to figure out the secret handshake to get the transmission to clear the frame when trying to slide it back.

I did most if the job alone, but I did get my wife to help me when I installed the transmission as having extra hands to help get things lined up onto the guide pins is helpful. Having a second person, especially one who had done this before, would likely cut several hours off the job as some things can be removed in parallel such as the exhaust system.
Patric and bmwcoolk1200 like this.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #8 of 17 Old Nov 25th, 2019, 6:26 am

I bought a k75 many years ago that had the same problem. It wouldn't shift and the shift lever would spin almost freely. It would spin 360 except for hitting the foot pegs.

Removed the trans, removed the cover found a loose bolt. Tighten and put back together.
This was 15 years ago so I can't offer more details. but it was obvious.

Cost to repair, trans oil and a weekend
beech likes this.
post #9 of 17 Old Nov 25th, 2019, 12:38 pm

is becoming more and more apparent to me that drive train on this bikes was never developed to deal with the 900 pound that need to move around..

I pay $250 for mine and i'm starting to fell i got short changes..

Ones i got a very Sexy Husky 610 for free, that end up costing me more than $11.000 and I was always scare it will blow up on me until it did., had to walk away from the whole thing..

Last edited by Ricardo Kuhn; Nov 25th, 2019 at 1:45 pm.
post #10 of 17 Old Nov 25th, 2019, 1:10 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardo Kuhn View Post
is becoming more and more apparent to me that drive train on this bikes was never developed to deal with the 900 pound that need to move around..
Why?

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #11 of 17 Old Nov 25th, 2019, 5:10 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
I did most if the job alone, but I did get my wife to help me when I installed the transmission as having extra hands to help get things lined up onto the guide pins is helpful.
This is the solution that I came with over 10 years ago (for the K75/K100/K1100). If the clutch is lined up with the special tool, it's so simple to slide the transmission onto the engine.

tips to reinstall a gear box
Patric likes this.
post #12 of 17 Old Nov 25th, 2019, 6:37 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
Why?
Have you read his posts and seen the way he treats his bikes?

And I though I was bad...

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #13 of 17 Old Nov 25th, 2019, 7:57 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese View Post
Have you read his posts and seen the way he treats his bikes?

And I though I was bad...
And I'm very Proud of it...

My original 1995 GS Purchase in 1996 with 6000 miles now has 362.000 miles (Last time on a dealer was 1998 at Cal BMW when the warranty expire, since then I have done all the work my self usually in very precarious circumstances) on the original engine, final drive, shaft, wheels with zero spoke failures, the valves don't even need adjustments anymore it leaks almost no oil and spend most of the last 15 years hitting the rev limiter at least 10% of the riding time and more than 50% in the last 1000rpms before redline..

Seven clutches, 4 trannys' but never do to worn out spline "from Wussy Wuss tepid riding), I just blow the gears on the inside (2th and 3th mostlly), because I steer the bike with the rear wheel like my SIS Instructors teach me many moons ago)

Plus endless brake pads and rotors all kinds of tires (17" wheels =way more tire choices), tons of silly loads, stupid mistake, plenty of hydrolocks crossing really deep rivers, adventures, motocross tracks, stupid hillclib challenges, weeks ad weeks on the permafrost in the Yukon using my stove to warm up the block ever morning instead of making food, push started a million times because the battery will not hold the charge in the cold, I only learn how to drive a car at 49 because we were making kiddos and I will not expose them to the dangers of motorcycle riding, plus my wife will kill me

what can I say I purchase a German TOOL and I'm not afraid to use it (Purchase 8 German tools so far), the only one that Suck (I don';t trust that bike in the least) is my R1200 GS Adventure, actually that was a gift from the mother ship since I work for them on and off for years..

plus I spend Millions of Hours trying to optimize the Boxer platform to be use for uncompromise reliability as a "No roads" platform..
post #14 of 17 Old Nov 26th, 2019, 6:12 am

Quote:

So, do I sell it as is or part it out? I've decided I would rather put that money toward a new or almost new 1600 GTL or B

Thoughts?
Based upon your question, I'd sell it for parts and not deal with the installation of a working transmission. You might end up throwing good money after bad. Part out the accessories and then sell the bike...

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #15 of 17 Old Nov 26th, 2019, 6:53 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDiver View Post
Based upon your question, I'd sell it for parts and not deal with the installation of a working transmission. You might end up throwing good money after bad. Part out the accessories and then sell the bike...
Perfect plan..

Take all the Valuable parts and sell them on their own..

Parting out a bike OR Fixing it is actually not that different, you are going to need the same sockets, same heatgun, same torx bits, tons of ziplock bags, tons of space and organization to keep the part organize (And Know what they are too)

Maybe the only think you don;t need when you are paring out versus fixing is a Torque wrench and the knowledge that comes with it..

1600cc , I never try one or work on one and I have no clue of the ill affected areas or pandemic problems, but I do know the more sensors, Can Bus actuators the more complicated the bike gets, them more prone they are to fail or at least stop working.

sure is great to have a automatic adjuster for the heated warmer for you pinky finger but you need to understand that every one of those "Farckes (OH do I hate that word) requires are machinisum and implementation that has a level of complexity, has a weight a cost and sometimes also requires somehow of a mantenianse requirements, specially if you have to take them to as dealer to perform the work add a extra cost

to me the only "De lux" thing you need are the proper TOOLS and the skill to use them, specially in the Field, but the again I have a "Special forces" frame of mind and a phetora of problem solving skills and tricks (Require to ride in the wild, so I can not impose/suppose people think/act in the same manner..

in Short...

I'm a Gelandewagen Kooid drinker but I thing Gwagens are a patracy of something very dear and utilitarian for many of us..
post #16 of 17 Old Yesterday, 1:25 pm Thread Starter

One of the members of this forum has reached out to me. He is willing to take this on as a winter project. He has a lot more mechanical skills, tools, and other resources than I do. From the VIN it looks like this was one of the last LT's made. I trust it will make him a good bike for years to come. Thank You to all of you who responded. You helped me make my decision.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2009 lt.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	1.80 MB
ID:	155183  
post #17 of 17 Old Today, 3:08 pm

The main and most realistically the only criteria on a bmw motorcycle is "production optimization"

I have not found a company that is more into "Efficiency of motion" (masters deggre from Stanford in Dynamics ergonomics and Bio mechanics, trust me I have some experience on the topic, i also freelances as a Industrial designer for them for 20 years)

in any case is not a more "Car like"production line and until the new wet clutch engines, the whole power pant/clutch/tranny/drive train it was the only way..

Also they are really sharp at "Padding the book" (The Book rate, that determines how much each job pays and how many hours it takes ) hey they need to keep the dealers happy, I'm not a lawyer but I have read more than a few pages of the contract agreements and they are absolutely Draconian, specific amount of square footage for each bike, location of the most prominent models, insane "Layout design" fees for clothing racks, etc

(actually they are two books with MASSIVE Deferential rates

*Warranty book
*Retail price book

in any case repairing this motorcycles (the mechanical part, the whole Can BUS deal is another story and is a lot of "Crap shorting" involve, but in terms of nuts and bolts, they only go "One way" and is no room for adjusting, much less fine tuning..

In short as long as you follow the recommended torque sequences the tranny swap will work a 100% like the old one..

Compare that with the "Dosmodromic" system where one "Giacomo" can be better than the other "Giacomo" you have nothing to fear..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in