1999 radio/cassette upgrade - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old Nov 20th, 2019, 3:25 pm Thread Starter

1999 radio/cassette upgrade

Can anyone confirm the parts needed to upgrade from stock radio/cassette to a radio/cd unit .
Ex: some people saying the bmw 3 series e46 kit will work ..? These are avaiable on amazon so just wondering has anyone completed this upgrade with a pioneer or similar stereo unit .? Any links to stereo and kits greatly appreciated Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Nov 20th, 2019, 6:15 pm

Re: 1999 radio/cassette upgrade

If you can do a Youtube search, there are several videos on this. A popular one is from a member I recall seeing on this forum, WestVanDude. If memory serve me well, he had several videos on various upgrades for lights and things.

Scott and Theresa
Munising, MI
2004 K1200LT Black
2014 Kawasaki KLR650

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old Nov 20th, 2019, 9:24 pm

Why do you want to upgrade? Donít you have the six disk player in the right side saddle bag?

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

Old Nov 21st, 2019, 7:16 am Thread Starter

Hiya buddy
No I don’t have the cd changer in the side , I prefer space for other junk 😉 so I wanna install a replacement unit with cd 👍
Old Nov 21st, 2019, 3:02 pm

[QUOTE=Westbury#07;1929859]

2005-on 1200RTs had vertically mounted radio/CD players and they would tend to skip like crazy over rough surfaces - I am speaking from experience. CD-players mounted flat (as on the 1200LT?) are more successful.

20 years on from 1999, folk are playing music from their cell-phones or from a "tunes-capable" or even Sirius-enabled motorcycle GPS to a bluetooth earpiece (and BMW have long since abandoned CD players on their motorcycles). If you still want something vertically mounted look for a radio unit with a USB receptacle to play your own music.

Good luck in your search.

Last edited by Beemerboy09; Nov 21st, 2019 at 3:08 pm.
Old Nov 21st, 2019, 5:16 pm

Save yourself a lot of hassle and just use a cassette adapter plugged into your phone or an MP3 player, after all, 1 CD plays up to an hour of music, my 4gb player has over 1000 songs and room for more.
Rig up a USB charger in the space where the cassette player is and you have non-stop music.
Old Nov 21st, 2019, 5:57 pm Thread Starter

Yes fair point ! But The issue is the AMps are blown in the radio with only output to one speaker ! I don’t like earpiece for sound - prefer the stereo speakers ! So I just need a modern stereo with decent amps that will fit with a adapter kit ..🤔
Old Nov 22nd, 2019, 11:02 am

I can see that both Kenwood and Fusion do marine, weatherproof radios with remotes that can be mounted on the handlebars.
Old Nov 22nd, 2019, 1:51 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Do a search on replacement radios there have been many different ones documented here over the last 15 years.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

Old Nov 23rd, 2019, 4:17 am

I am going to be experimenting with an Alpine CDE-193BT presently. There is a Connects2 interface that speaks I-Bus so it bodes well. Just the display is unlikely to work, but I have grand ideas about using a Pi or Arduino to deal with that. Whether that ever happens or not is a different matter!

Previous username - ajlelectronics
Old Nov 23rd, 2019, 2:48 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westbury#07 View Post
Yes fair point ! But The issue is the AMps are blown in the radio with only output to one speaker ! I donít like earpiece for sound - prefer the stereo speakers ! So I just need a modern stereo with decent amps that will fit with a adapter kit ..🤔

Another good option....https://www.bmwlt.com/forums/k1200lt...em-becker.html

Scott and Theresa
Munising, MI
2004 K1200LT Black
2014 Kawasaki KLR650

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in