BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Replace battery and flush fuel system

3K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  Henry Schlesinger 
#1 ·
Hello folks, I’m brand new to the BMW world and purchased a K1200 LT yesterday unfortunately it’s been sitting a couple years and I’m trying to get it running. The new battery is coming tomorrow and it was suggested I drain the fuel system prior to trying to start. Unfortunately I’m a novice and can’t even get the seat off to replace the battery anyone know of a good source to find instructions that can help me get started?

#3 ·
Welcome from southern CA!
A Clymer manual is the first thing you should get.
Also, look for stuff you need to do in this forum. Another great source is Kirk Johnson which you should google if you are not familiar with his sites.
Cheers!

#4 ·
Reactions: mwnahas
#5 ·
Hey Henry...congrats on your purchase of a K1200LT. It's an amazing touring machine.

The other basic maintenance item you'll want to do is change the brake fluid. Depending on the age of the bike, you may also have to consider changing out the brake lines as the rubber ones will deteriorate over time. Also, aged brake fluid can be really tough on ABS components.

You might want to add the year of the bike to your signature, as this will help the many experts on this forum help diagnose any issues you may have in the future.

Welcome to the forum!

Reactions: beech
#6 ·
The link to the download is quickly accessible and was very helpful to me when I bought my '99. The Clymer manual is a worthy addition as well. I did ride a K100RS for several years, so that helped, but other than the engine, the similarities are few.
FWIW-my bike would start on ether, but would not run. The fuel pump was not working (you should hear it prime briefly when you turn the key on) and was completely covered in the greenish-brown muck that ethanol fuel apparently turns into over time. It's a pretty big job to get to the tank to change out the pump. It's not extremely hard, but very time-consuming. The bike did immediately start and run well on the first push of the button with the new pump. The K-series engine is bulletproof.

Do plan on changing brake lines; my rear master cylinder was completely empty due to the hose leaking at the joint.

Good luck and utilize the wealth of knowledge and info on this site!

#8 ·
Just a note you CAN remove the fuel pump from the tank WITHOUT removing the tank from the bike. You just have to drain it and pull the right side tupperware off and then the right side tip over bar. Then with the bike on the side stand the fuel pump can be removed.

Reactions: Voyager
#9 ·
Yep, BTDT. However, given the time the bike has sat and wanting to be thorough, I would probably do the full Monty and pull the tank and replace the air filter as well as inspect that area for rodent nests, etc.

Reactions: Patric
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.