Two Engines in One!!! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old Jan 15th, 2007, 4:32 pm Thread Starter

Thumbs up Two Engines in One!!!

I guess I am a fairly conservative rider -- always rev the old K engine up until it hit the rough spot (around 4300) and then upshift. But yesterday, when the light turned green, my had slipped off the cluch and she died right in the middle of the intersection. After about 10 cars blew there horns at me, I got her started back up and took off. Being somewhat aggrevated by the experience, this time I rev'ed her up to about 7000 before upshifting. Damn that thing runs different between 6000 and redline -- like a totally different engine!!!!

Al Strickland
Blairsville, Georgia
1967 Honda Cub
1972 Honda CB350
1979 Suzuki GS750E
2001 R1150GS (gone -- victim of a Highway 28 curve)
2002 K1200LT Trike (now history, transmission died)
2009 R1200GS
2013 K1600GTL
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 K1300GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old Jan 15th, 2007, 4:35 pm
rlv

How come you guy's got to get mad to discover that.

Richard Vogt
2007 (Silver) R1200RT
2010 R1200GSA (Gertrude)
post #3 of 20 Old Jan 15th, 2007, 6:27 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlv
How come you guy's got to get mad to discover that.
yup... got the point now that I rarely hit third on my way to work. Just don't see the point as the speed is below 60 the whole way.

Trust me, it took a couple of months before I could keep it up near 6K... just didn't seem right.... but it's right now...

Uncle Mark

BMW '06' 1200LT "Wild Blue"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BMWMOA Member #127457
Honda CX500 Custom - RIP '00'

"An intelligence agency that FEARS intelligence? Historically, not awesome." . . . From what movie?

post #4 of 20 Old Jan 15th, 2007, 8:21 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by alstrickland55
I guess I am a fairly conservative rider -- always rev the old K engine up until it hit the rough spot (around 4300) and then upshift. But yesterday, when the light turned green, my had slipped off the cluch and she died right in the middle of the intersection. After about 10 cars blew there horns at me, I got her started back up and took off. Being somewhat aggrevated by the experience, this time I rev'ed her up to about 7000 before upshifting. Damn that thing runs different between 6000 and redline -- like a totally different engine!!!!
We say it over and over and over again, but some just don't listen, and have to learn THEIR way.

Shifting below 4,500 is a total waste of the bike's performance, and the bike really does not like it much. As I and others have said time and time again, this fat lady LOVES to sing, and it IS a totally different bike in the 5-8,000 range.

I rarely used 5th below 80, and used 3,500 as my shift point, for DOWN shift! Normal cruising/touring upshifting for me was in the 5,500-6,000 range, anything else 6,000-7,500, depending on what I was doing. Got surprised a few times by the rev limiter, so did not use 8,000 very much.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #5 of 20 Old Jan 15th, 2007, 8:26 pm

I'm trying to set mine to idle at 4500 RPM!

Joe
2005 BMW K1200LT
2007 Ducati Monster S4Rs
post #6 of 20 Old Jan 15th, 2007, 9:34 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by alstrickland55
Damn that thing runs different between 6000 and redline -- like a totally different engine!!!!
LOL!!!!

Makes me think to the first time I had it on the highway at "speed" after I bought it. Was running 60 miles south on the interstate with some Harley Pirate friends going to a Quaker Steak and Lube for Wednesday night beer, babes, and wings. I was on cruise at 70mph and fiddling with the radio controls. The whole group of hogs got the urge to rocket up. They dusted me until I downshifted to 4th and kicked the spurs into the beast. By the time I hit 5th, I was going almost 90, dumped into 5th and said "bye-bye". Shocked the he!! out of me and most importantly my friends. They gasped at how that big grey beemer could double as an Olympic Jamaican Bobsled on steroids.... Said the engine sounded like a fighter jet as I flashed by them.

That's why it is still in my barn 5 years later. Still puts silly grins on my face.
post #7 of 20 Old Jan 15th, 2007, 10:34 pm

I hear you all, and I believe you... yet I'm reluctant to run the RPMs that high for other than acceleration to the next gear, and even then I shift at pretty sedate RPMs. At highway speeds sure, I could run at 70 mph in 2nd or 3rd, but I'll take the better fuel economy and quieter sound of the 5th gear, and downshift when I need to, to pass. Maybe if I had more experience on bikes (and on different bikes) I'd play in the higher RPM range. The few times I've taken it to 6k RPMs I love the performance and the sound.

Bear with me; I'll keep dipping my toes in the higher RPMs and have no doubt I'll learn to love it.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #8 of 20 Old Jan 15th, 2007, 11:15 pm
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
I hear you all, and I believe you... yet I'm reluctant to run the RPMs that high for other than acceleration to the next gear, and even then I shift at pretty sedate RPMs. At highway speeds sure, I could run at 70 mph in 2nd or 3rd, but I'll take the better fuel economy and quieter sound of the 5th gear, and downshift when I need to, to pass. Maybe if I had more experience on bikes (and on different bikes) I'd play in the higher RPM range. The few times I've taken it to 6k RPMs I love the performance and the sound.

Bear with me; I'll keep dipping my toes in the higher RPMs and have no doubt I'll learn to love it.
You should just get out one day and agree with yourself you're not going to let the bike below 5000 rpms. First find a fairly straight stretch of backroad and run it from 5000 - 7500 through the gears, up and down a few times until you get a basic feel for the power delivery. Once you've done that get on one of your favorite,more winding, roads that you know well, something that's at least a 15-20 minute run. You can keep speed down by running in lower gears, and you'll get a good feel for the power delivery and extra "oomph" that you get up there while working through the twisties. Pay attention to your braking as well as the engine braking, as both will be different from the lower rpm/more leisurely pace. Run it back and forth a few times to develop your comfort with the power delivery, and within about an hour I'll bet dollars to donuts you'll feel much better if not just fine with the powerband up there. Then, if you're feel frisky, move up a gear on everything and hit it!

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

post #9 of 20 Old Jan 16th, 2007, 8:25 am

From everything I've been told about bike and auto motors, it's good practice to run the engines at strong rpm's every so often to break up carbon deposits and blow em out.
post #10 of 20 Old Jan 16th, 2007, 8:54 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodoodrum
From everything I've been told about bike and auto motors, it's good practice to run the engines at strong rpm's every so often to break up carbon deposits and blow em out.
That assumes that these guys EVER run their engines slow enough to accumulate carbon!

Cheers!

Bob Bacon
El Cerrito, (Northern) CA
'15 GTL-E in White
'09 LT in Blk "Weave II" 120k miles before it was totaled
'00 LTC+ in CR "Weave" 240k miles before it was totaled
MOA IBA HDDC CRS
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away.

post #11 of 20 Old Jan 16th, 2007, 10:32 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltcommuter
That assumes that these guys EVER run their engines slow enough to accumulate carbon!
For me, If I can't run it hard, it just ain't no fun!! Have slowed a bit with high fuel prices though.
post #12 of 20 Old Jan 16th, 2007, 12:32 pm

Yesterday a couple of young friends one on a Honda and the other on a Yamaha sportbike (600cc's) came over and got me to go for a couple hour ride with them. On one streatch of highway I was in front and at about 3500rpm and I could see one of them started to pass me so I rolled on the throttle to around 8k for the first three gears. They didn't pass me and when we came to the next light they both flipped up their face shields and asked how big is that engine, how much does it weigh, how can it go that fast? I know I know a 600cc sportbike will dust an LT, but an old fart who knows how to use the magic power zone of this bike can fool a young man into thinking this thing is fast! Oh ya I had Boston's "More than a Feeling" blastin on the stero at the time, I loved it!!

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350
post #13 of 20 Old Jan 16th, 2007, 12:38 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
When you get around 125 mph you have to downshift to 4th to maintain acceleration, as 5th just bogs you down.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #14 of 20 Old Jan 16th, 2007, 1:38 pm

ya that is kinda of strange downshifting at 125!

14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350
post #15 of 20 Old Jan 16th, 2007, 1:56 pm

I've had my LT for a couple of months now, and have become quite comfortable with flirting with the redline WHENEVER I CAN !!!

It has the Remus Titanium system on it, and has the most awesome growl when under full throttle. ( although, it is quite 'boomy' at cruising speeds ).

My old CBX has a few mod's, and runs 11.70's, I'm thinking the fat lady can give it a run for the money, it just feels that strong.

No offense meant, but a guy on a Harley "duece" rolled up beside me last weekend, and told me I had a 'cute' moped........1 mile down the road, US#1, at the next light, he pulled over at the shoulder about 100 yards behind me and waited for the light to change.....

I love educating stupid people.......

LOL

2000 K1200LT
1981 Honda CBX ( kind of for sale)
post #16 of 20 Old Jan 16th, 2007, 3:29 pm

I am thinking of getting the Remus Ti system, where did you get it and how much are they?

14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350
post #17 of 20 Old Jan 16th, 2007, 9:37 pm

Deal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTaylor
You should just get out one day and agree with yourself you're not going to let the bike below 5000 rpms. First find a fairly straight stretch of backroad and run it from 5000 - 7500 through the gears, up and down a few times until you get a basic feel for the power delivery. Once you've done that get on one of your favorite,more winding, roads that you know well, something that's at least a 15-20 minute run. You can keep speed down by running in lower gears, and you'll get a good feel for the power delivery and extra "oomph" that you get up there while working through the twisties. Pay attention to your braking as well as the engine braking, as both will be different from the lower rpm/more leisurely pace. Run it back and forth a few times to develop your comfort with the power delivery, and within about an hour I'll bet dollars to donuts you'll feel much better if not just fine with the powerband up there. Then, if you're feel frisky, move up a gear on everything and hit it!
Consider this on my "spring training" list. Or sooner, once some of the rain/ice goes away. Thanks!

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #18 of 20 Old Jan 16th, 2007, 9:45 pm

The Remus came with the motorcycle...I bought it used, from what I have been able to research, it runs around 800 bucks and change. I believe my bike has had the "chip" played with. It does not have any issues with idle, or mid throttle drop off's, or anything that would make you think that miss-matched parts were installed.

If I back off the throttle at high RPM and let the engine do the braking down to the lower RPM range, I sometimes get a backfire, which is normal for a free flowing exhaust with no back pressure (rich mixture).

So far, I'm getting 44 MPG, and I think that's great, since I started measuring only around town mileage....when I drove the bike home, it got 54. (all highway, and I was very cautious).

I'm not a writer, I just wish I could express how much I love this bike.

Period.

2000 K1200LT
post #19 of 20 Old Jan 19th, 2007, 1:41 pm

....running through my bag of goodies, I've discovered, a couple of very small black plastic boxes. They are labeled rhinewest Performance. Inside one of them is the old factory chip, the other was the case for the encryption board.

Now things are coming together on why the bike seems so quick. And it SIPS fuel !!!

Who could ask for anything more ?

2000 K1200LT
post #20 of 20 Old Jan 19th, 2007, 2:55 pm

It was quite a trasition for me. I came from a Yamaha VStar 1100 cruiser. With no tach at all, I would always shift when the bike began to vibrate which never took very long

From there onto the K1200, I would always be reaching for the clutch when i heard the engine just start to spin up...what a waste. The bike is a joy at higher RPM and seems to just love it!

My brother owns a Ferarri 308GTS...that is a car that HATES being driven lightly...positively starts singing at higher RPMs.

Definitely two things I have enjoyed getting used to

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in