BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Map light funktion

2K views 13 replies 3 participants last post by  jzeiler 
#1 ·
I just replaced the bulb in the map light and I think I need to do the trunk light as well but I can't figure out how they are supposed to work. I have looked through my owner's manuals and can find nothing telling about the 3 switch positions. My map light only works in the bottom switch position and when the ignition is on. what is the middle position for?

#2 ·
I think they are just a 3 way switch but only 1 side is used they dont have a wire like a car door to auto off the light when you close the trunk, or at least mine doesnt.the trunk light is identical. the middle pos is off

#3 ·
I do not have an early bike manual but the face lift version shows the three positions. On , Off, and Automatic (controlled by the alarm when you shut off the key - it runs for 15 seconds). I don't think there was any change on the top case light except there was the introduction of an interlock switch so the light goes out when you close it (not sure what year they did that).

It would be nice if anyone out there does have a PDF version of the early version of the owners manual to post it on the site.

Attachments

#4 · (Edited)
Thanks for that, someone must have switched wire positions on mine because it doesn't work as it shows in the picture. Mine is on in the C position which should be the automatic position. does anyone know which wire goes to which terminal so I can get mine operating as it should?

Now I know why I couldn't find it, I was looking for map light in the index not cockpit. I thought cockpits were only in aircraft! :rotf:

#5 ·
the light has a single earth in the middle and 2 12v terminals on the outer swap over the 2 on the outer. lift the light out from the side with the little hole or you could break it...

Reactions: Voyager
#6 ·
Thanks for the reply, I already figured it out yesterday I pulled it out and the ground was in the correct spot so I switched the other 2 wires around and now it works as it should. I have LEDs on order for it, the trunk light and the ground lights so they will be brighter and use less power. They will make my bike all LED with the exception of the factory HID in the low beam.

I tried to program my alarm yesterday as well with no luck. When I push the remote button for the final third time to enter programming mode it does nothing and will not go to programming mode. I also tried to add a third remote and found out the manuals I got with my bike were not for it. The code didn't work and when I checked the VIN number written in the maintenance record it doesn't match even though the mileage for the last service looks right so who knows when the manuals got switched. It could have happened when 2 bikes the same year were being serviced, during the sale of the bike previously or any number of scenarios since there have been 2 or more previous owners. I just thought to check the paint code and it makes no sense either as they wrote 716 which doesn't match any colors in the list.

#8 ·
You don't need a code to change the programming on the alarm. You do need to be careful when it says press the button three times. Don't stab and press, press, press, but rather press then release (count of one) then press again and release etc. Try that and see if it works for you.

Attachments

#9 ·
That is what I was doing but the third press does nothing for some reason, I tried at least 4 times with the same results. I need the code to add a third remote that came with my bike since the PO never got it programed, and now I know why.

#12 ·
Are you sure the led lights on the FOB each time you press it. I ask as I tried it last night on my bike and I blew it the first time, I pressed the button on the FOB the third time and nothing happened. I did it again and made sure the FOB LED lit up with each press of the button. Also the turn signals all flash at each button press on the set of three. Also you must get all the way through the sequence within 10 seconds. If you don't get the turn signal flash keep pressing until you do get the flash three times. It does take practice to master the technique.

#14 ·
Then my only conclusion is you have a bad alarm, not complete failure but a failure mode. I have done this on several bikes ranging from 99 to 2009, four different alarm systems with different steps, but 2005 to 2009 were all the same.

I suppose some one could have installed an early alarm on your bike but if you have central locking then that was not available before 2005.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.