2000LT Starter Relay, Suspension & Questions - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Patric
  • 1 Post By bmwcoolk1200

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Nov 13th, 2019, 12:32 pm Thread Starter

Garage
2000LT Starter Relay, Suspension & Questions

Greetings.. I've been out riding and not posting here for a while!! My 2000LT now has 78K miles on it and I'm going in deep for some needed maintenance and upgrades.

Starter Relay; I've read how the relay can seize/weld contacts together due to low battery or over-cranking or over-heating. With that said.. I'm very aware of what can happen and use caution when hitting the starter button. I rarely use reverse because of the starter being used in the process. Q; Should I replace the starter or relay now?

Suspension; I'm looking to upgrade some suspension parts. Front seems to bottom out on sharp bumps, rear is sagging some. Everything still works but not looking to put huge $$ money into it. Suggestions?

Fuel Pump; I'm going into the tank for the fuel filter. Should I replace the fuel pump assembly? Q; Who's had a fuel pump issue and when?

ABSII Wig-Wag; Sending the ABS Pump off to Module Masters for a rebuild. Unit has been reset multiple times and still fails with a piston fault code. Keeping the old girl alive.

FWIW; This is not my first time under the plastic.. Already done, "Clutch, Main seal, Trans seals, Weep hole, Slave cylinder, In-Tank fuel lines, Tank disconnects, throttle cables, Spiegler brake lines, injector o-rings, crank breather manifold, and more stuff that I want to forget!

2000 BMW K1200LT
2005 BMW R1200GS
2001 Kaw KX250
1974 Kaw KX250
1981 Yam YZ465

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by mcracer; Nov 13th, 2019 at 12:58 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Nov 13th, 2019, 3:40 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: 2000LT Starter Relay, Suspension & Questions

Hi , I usually go by..If it ain't broke...Don't fix it ... I have heard of too many self inflicted problems by people fixing thing that wore working fine before they monkeyed with them..
Voyager likes this.

Patric Blackman
2002 K1200LT/Hannigan2+2
2010 R1200GSA ...1987 Helix...
AMA Charter Lifemember
37 Year Member of both BMWMOA & BMWRA

post #3 of 4 Old Nov 13th, 2019, 3:45 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcracer View Post
Greetings.. I've been out riding and not posting here for a while!! My 2000LT now has 78K miles on it and I'm going in deep for some needed maintenance and upgrades.

Starter Relay; I've read how the relay can seize/weld contacts together due to low battery or over-cranking or over-heating. With that said.. I'm very aware of what can happen and use caution when hitting the starter button. I rarely use reverse because of the starter being used in the process. Q; Should I replace the starter or relay now?

Suspension; I'm looking to upgrade some suspension parts. Front seems to bottom out on sharp bumps, rear is sagging some. Everything still works but not looking to put huge $$ money into it. Suggestions?

Fuel Pump; I'm going into the tank for the fuel filter. Should I replace the fuel pump assembly? Q; Who's had a fuel pump issue and when?

ABSII Wig-Wag; Sending the ABS Pump off to Module Masters for a rebuild. Unit has been reset multiple times and still fails with a piston fault code. Keeping the old girl alive.

FWIW; This is not my first time under the plastic.. Already done, "Clutch, Main seal, Trans seals, Weep hole, Slave cylinder, In-Tank fuel lines, Tank disconnects, throttle cables, Spiegler brake lines, injector o-rings, crank breather manifold, and more stuff that I want to forget!
Welcome back Mark. Glad it has been running well for you since the clutch job. The starter relay is a toss up as long as you know about the issue and are careful and maintain your battery. It is a pricey upgrade but IMO, it was worth it for me to eliminate one of the possible issues I could have while OTR.

A good time to look at the starter would have been when you had the trans off to clean and inspect brushes bearings etc. I missed out on that opportunity also so will wait till I have the trans off again for another maintenance I have planned. There aren't too many issues I have read about with the starters themselves so that is another choice on how far do you want to go with clutch and seals already done.

Call up Ted Porter at Beamershop to get the lowdown on LT suspension. I am using the TFX and they are good. Ohlins need to be rebuilt too often and needs more parts more often per many on the forum. Wilber makes good shocks and are well reported also. They all are pricey too

Fuel pumps also are not often reported as an issue as much as the lines inside. I recently just for the heck of it replaced my 20 year old pump with a new Quantum and am using the EME nylon flexible lines over the rubber in tank ones and new ethanol tolerant external lines to hopefully eliminate the ethanol deterioration component for the foreseeable future. There was one recent issue where the FP died on someone out in Arizona ( may have actually been Winslow) and he had to have Quantum drop ship one to him to get him back on the road home. Again, your choice as to what you want to replace when it hasn't broken yet.
mcracer likes this.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

post #4 of 4 Old Nov 13th, 2019, 6:38 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwcoolk1200 View Post
Welcome back Mark. Glad it has been running well for you since the clutch job. The starter relay is a toss up as long as you know about the issue and are careful and maintain your battery. It is a pricey upgrade but IMO, it was worth it for me to eliminate one of the possible issues I could have while OTR.

A good time to look at the starter would have been when you had the trans off to clean and inspect brushes bearings etc. I missed out on that opportunity also so will wait till I have the trans off again for another maintenance I have planned. There aren't too many issues I have read about with the starters themselves so that is another choice on how far do you want to go with clutch and seals already done.

Call up Ted Porter at Beamershop to get the lowdown on LT suspension. I am using the TFX and they are good. Ohlins need to be rebuilt too often and needs more parts more often per many on the forum. Wilber makes good shocks and are well reported also. They all are pricey too

Fuel pumps also are not often reported as an issue as much as the lines inside. I recently just for the heck of it replaced my 20 year old pump with a new Quantum and am using the EME nylon flexible lines over the rubber in tank ones and new ethanol tolerant external lines to hopefully eliminate the ethanol deterioration component for the foreseeable future. There was one recent issue where the FP died on someone out in Arizona ( may have actually been Winslow) and he had to have Quantum drop ship one to him to get him back on the road home. Again, your choice as to what you want to replace when it hasn't broken yet.
I agree with Gordon. Fuel pumps have not been a high failure part other than due to corrosion when stored in E10. If your pump looks clean on the outside, I would leave it alone.

I have Wilburs from Ted Porter and have been happy with them once I got past the purchase price.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in