• 3 Post By Voyager
  • 2 Post By crazy frog
  • 2 Post By james216
  • 1 Post By Mark65
  • 2 Post By crazy frog

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 Old Nov 10th, 2019, 7:42 pm Thread Starter

Drawings

As winter is setting here in Nova Scotia and some of the roads are already salted, I decided to stay home and got back to my drawing board (In fact this is my computer).
Here is what I did today (This will be painted on the wall of my brand new garage):

As this forum is about R bikes too, here is what I drew last year for a couple of friends to make a T-Shirt.

Last edited by crazy frog; Nov 11th, 2019 at 2:20 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old Nov 10th, 2019, 8:09 pm Thread Starter

Re: Drawings

Few days ago, I made this one. Just having fun.

wvandennoort, Munmi and LTnAZ like this.
post #3 of 31 Old Nov 10th, 2019, 8:44 pm

I made this one around 2000 for a magazine contest (Black & White print so I only used greyscale)

Four markers, a pencil, a eraser, zero tools of any kind, totally freehand

is a really long process since you achieve grey scale density by adding layer upon layer, very risky too because is not turning back, I will say 15 hours of work "Coloring"

in contrast I made this one in about two hours, same thing , zero tools or aids but this time using prismacolor pencils over egress canson paper

same process, layer upon layer but you let the color of the paper provide the background of the part you are drawing, great technique you can cover massive amounts of paper with very little expenditure in materials (when you are a student, you need to think about economy of everything including motion)
crazy frog and LTnAZ like this.

post #4 of 31 Old Nov 10th, 2019, 9:26 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardo Kuhn View Post
is a really long process since you achieve grey scale density by adding layer upon layer, very risky too because is not turning back, I will say 15 hours of work "Coloring"
Yes about 15 hours and maybe 50 layers to do the LT. The beauty of computer is that you can delete a layer or merge few of them together. You can also set the density or transparency.
Long time ago, I was drawing with pencils, but now, I enjoyed creating designs on the computer.
post #5 of 31 Old Nov 10th, 2019, 10:16 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy frog View Post
Yes about 15 hours and maybe 50 layers to do the LT. The beauty of computer is that you can delete a layer or merge few of them together. You can also set the density or transparency.
Long time ago, I was drawing with pencils, but now, I enjoyed creating designs on the computer.
Sure I use the Puter' for work specially if I need to make a injection mold of make a fast prototype on the Additive CNC, but Never EVER for pleasure, to the point I re-gifted my Cintiq 22" tablet that one of my students give me to my 8 year old daughter since she already posses a great equilibrium of the pleasures of the hand and the lack of frontiers with the computer..

Besides computers are the Ultimate "Equalizers" since anybody can provide a very similar result.

To me this is art (Not mine but I wish I was 10% as good) even if is only a "Simple"Asimetric construction..

I don't know I guess I'm really old school but I enjoy glory of a job well done, No ABS, no traction control, no extra gyroscopes, self regulating suspensions, etc, etc..
Mark65 and LTnAZ like this.
post #6 of 31 Old Nov 11th, 2019, 6:20 am

Beautiful !!!
Do you sell prints of the K1200LT and R1200RT? I would love to have 11”x14” or even 8”x10” prints framed for display on my den wall.
Thanks, Microdoc
post #7 of 31 Old Nov 11th, 2019, 10:50 am

Quote:
As winter is setting here in Nova Scotia and some of the roads are already salted, I decided to stay home and got back to my drawing board (In fact this is my computer).
Here is what I did today (This will be painted on the wall of my brand new garage):

As this forum is about R bikes too, here is what I drew last year for a couple of friends to make a T-Shirt.

Those would look good on some shirts
post #8 of 31 Old Nov 11th, 2019, 11:33 am Thread Starter

I don't sell drawing!
They are free to download at 3 conditions:
They will not be used for business/profit
They will not be shared on other sites without my prior consent
My name cannot be removed from the drawing.

Just right click (on a PC) on each picture and save it. These are high resolution pictures.

I do a lot of motorcycle drawing.
This is the last one that I completed and am waiting from BMW to see if it will be accepted as an official club logo. The German are very sticky for the way you use their logo.

Mark65 likes this.
post #9 of 31 Old Nov 14th, 2019, 12:25 pm Thread Starter

Here is the final drawing with colors.
sailor, Scimitar and LTnAZ like this.
post #10 of 31 Old Nov 14th, 2019, 6:48 pm

Great work. Thanks a lot for the images.

John Maki
Cederedge, Co

'00 K1200Lt
Unigo Trailer
post #11 of 31 Old Nov 15th, 2019, 1:33 am
Cat Herder

Garage

these are amazing...

Tvguy
'16 R1200RT - "Golden Eye"
'11 R1200RT - "Night Fury" SOLD
'02 K1200LTE - "The Silver Bullet" SOLD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 31 Old Nov 15th, 2019, 12:38 pm

Garage

Thanks, I downloaded the K1200LT and I love it even though the blue is not the same as what is on mine.

Too much HORSEPOWER is almost enough!
post #13 of 31 Old Nov 20th, 2019, 4:44 pm Thread Starter

Re: Drawings new ones

Here is a 2 steps drawing that took i would say 70 to 80 hours to complete.
First step was to draw the major features of the bike:

Then, playing with colors to obtain the final result:

goes2fast likes this.
post #14 of 31 Old Nov 21st, 2019, 11:19 am

Garage

How hard would it be to change to Barritz blue?

post #15 of 31 Old Nov 21st, 2019, 11:24 am Thread Starter

I am working on this at the moment.
I also corrected a lot of mistakes.
I will try to replicate all the major colors.
post #16 of 31 Old Nov 21st, 2019, 11:44 am
Lifetime Supporter

Your beautiful drawings are a reminder of just how timeless the K1200LT design is. It's hard to believe that bike was designed over 20 years ago and yet it still looks as fresh as the day it was launched. Well done, BMW.
Mark65 and crazy frog like this.

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2017 KTM 350 EXC-F (single track monster)
2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun on the fire roads)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #17 of 31 Old Nov 21st, 2019, 11:57 am Thread Starter

This is what I have for now (It was a lot of modifications since my last drawing...)
I will continue to work on it.

Last edited by crazy frog; Nov 21st, 2019 at 2:15 pm.
post #18 of 31 Old Nov 21st, 2019, 2:02 pm

Does are definitely some nice drawings. Two of them colors are close to mine two, those look like the later K's. Great job.
crazy frog likes this.
post #19 of 31 Old Nov 21st, 2019, 5:00 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by powwow View Post
Your beautiful drawings are a reminder of just how timeless the K1200LT design is. It's hard to believe that bike was designed over 20 years ago and yet it still looks as fresh as the day it was launched. Well done, BMW.
I think it still looks fresher any any other touring bike and possibly any other bike made today period. Sad that BMW dropped it without doing a major revision. Can you imagine this styling with a modern engine, wet clutch, current electronics and lighter weight with some judicious use of lighter weight materials like carbon fiber? And better stock seats and some storage cubbies for the passenger and a few other such upgrades? That would make the new Wing look like an antique.
powwow, Mark65 and goes2fast like this.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #20 of 31 Old Nov 22nd, 2019, 1:08 am

Garage

Quote:
I am working on this at the moment.
I also corrected a lot of mistakes.
I will try to replicate all the major colors.
Cool, Thanks!

post #21 of 31 Old Nov 23rd, 2019, 2:55 pm

Garage

Nice work!

Did you use Adobe Illustrator or Photoshop, or both?
post #22 of 31 Old Nov 23rd, 2019, 3:41 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tj Nigro View Post
Did you use Adobe Illustrator or Photoshop, or both?
Just an old version of Photoshop.
Mark65 and goes2fast like this.
post #23 of 31 Old Nov 24th, 2019, 12:10 pm

Garage

Quote:
Just an old version of Photoshop.
And a lot of talent!

post #24 of 31 Old Nov 24th, 2019, 12:46 pm

Garage

Indeed...
post #25 of 31 Old Nov 24th, 2019, 1:06 pm Thread Starter

If you want to download a copy Just click here: https://kforum-tech.com/crazy-frog/K...4%20bikes1.png
After you right click on the picture and select save.
post #26 of 31 Old Nov 27th, 2019, 1:09 am

Lets start by clarified what "Drawings" are not...

In the Lingo this type of art, is call "Posters" or cartels, specially made famous by the Polish "Russians" and the very best the artist from the Czech republic (also massive Pioneers of the experimental film industry..

this cartels has a purpose a "Subversive" porpuse in many cases, they are hundreds and hundreds of books in the topic of Semiotics analyzing every single detail and meaning, they are specially important because in many cases you will get shoot on the spot if they catch you gluing them to the wall..

The Medium "Degenerate" into more commercial art, but instill find them very interesting,....,

here are some Vintage bmw posters

i guess now we know where the "Harley, Not wave" comes from.

Personally I find this artworks So alive and inspiring )One of the main characteristics of a Cartel, usually intaglios o screen printed with very bold surfaces and dramatic contrast.
post #27 of 31 Old Dec 6th, 2019, 12:54 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
I think it still looks fresher any any other touring bike and possibly any other bike made today period. Sad that BMW dropped it without doing a major revision. Can you imagine this styling with a modern engine, wet clutch, current electronics and lighter weight with some judicious use of lighter weight materials like carbon fiber? And better stock seats and some storage cubbies for the passenger and a few other such upgrades? That would make the new Wing look like an antique.
I always thought so too. It's still more futuristic and better looking than any tourer. We know BMW, Well..The Germans in general do not like admitting flaws. BMW has to know that this bike and forum are still kept alive regardless that it is a 20 year old design and hasn't been produced in over 10 years. Someone there has got to be thinking WOW.. That bike regardless of the problems is still loved by these folks. Maybe we pulled the plug to soon?? Maybe we could redeem it's reputation and ours with a new redesign with rock solid reliability. If they did. They would have the best selling touring motorcycle. I would damn sure want one. The 1600 is ok. But not a full blood touring machine. More of a sport tourer. The GTL motor in a new redesign LT would be real nice. But. Wishful thinking.

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
1999 Suzuki Intruder VL1500LC. Betty Lou.
I'm a 4 percenter.
post #28 of 31 Old Yesterday, 11:52 am

You, sir, are proof of what I've long suspected: I could hand you a lump of charred wood from a campfire and a piece of paper, and you could draw the Mona Lisa. You could hand me a palette full of colors, every imaginable brush, and a professional canvas, and I'll make colorful stick figures.

Talent is talent. And you, my friend, have it in spades.

My hat is off to you.
goes2fast likes this.

Mark(Big Poppa) and Julie(Fireball)
'06 K1200LT Magnesium Black "Stella"
Glendale, AZ
BMWMOA#206887
RA#44657
AMA#3647653

Let's Ride!
post #29 of 31 Old Yesterday, 1:41 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark65 View Post
You, sir, are proof of what I've long suspected: I could hand you a lump of charred wood from a campfire and a piece of paper, and you could draw the Mona Lisa. You could hand me a palette full of colors, every imaginable brush, and a professional canvas, and I'll make colorful stick figures.

Talent is talent. And you, my friend, have it in spades.

My hat is off to you.
Here is what I think is the final version. I made a tremendous amount of small changes and everytime I look at it I see some tiny defects.
Today I ordered a print 24" X 26". I will put it on the garage wall until I have the time to draw it in 6' x 4'.
BTW, buying the K1200lt cost me a lot of money. too many bikes and not enough space. I just had a new garage built. On the top of the cost of the bike, I will have to fork $50k. Oh well it's long overdue.
https://kforum-tech.com/crazy-frog/K1200lt/_K1200LT.png

post #30 of 31 Old Yesterday, 4:12 pm

Garage

Quote:
BTW, buying the K1200lt cost me a lot of money. too many bikes and not enough space. I just had a new garage built.
I can relate to that. I added a third bay to my garage about the time I got the motorcycle lift so I could do major work on the R80RT. My son added two Hondas he intends to put together into one running cycle some day. Then a year ago I added the R1200RT. Finally, this year I put heat in the motorcycle bay so I could work on the bikes in winter. Bikes have cost me a lot of $$.

Current rides
2014 R1200RT -12 States, 2 Provinces
1984 R80RT – semi-retired -48 States, 5 Provinces
Past rides
1973 Honda CB500-4 -13 States
1971 Honda CL-350 -6 States
1972 Honda CL-175

post #31 of 31 Old Today, 8:40 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark65 View Post
I could hand you a lump of charred wood from a campfire and a piece of paper, and you could draw the Mona Lisa.
Just saw this one on one Facebook group.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in