Gear noise 2002 K1200 LTE - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By CapeRider
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Unread Oct 21st, 2019, 7:58 am Thread Starter

Question Gear noise 2002 K1200 LTE

Hello, brand new to this forum. I've been reading the posts and found them helpful. Am thinking about purchasing a 2002 K1200 LT Elite from a private owner. Has a little over 12,000 miles. Looks in excellent condition. I test drove it yesterday and noticed that there is what appears to be gear noise. It starts when the bike starts moving. At around 50 MPH, the noise is covered up by wind and road noise. There is no vibration and no clunking. Bike shifts with no issues. The noise doesn't match what others have described for the final drive failure. Does anyone recognize the symptoms? I was using a borrowed half face helmet; my normal one is full face with lots of padding, so I don't know if this noise is normal. Thanks for any comments!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Unread Oct 21st, 2019, 8:37 am
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Gear noise 2002 K1200 LTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapeRider View Post
Hello, brand new to this forum. I've been reading the posts and found them helpful. Am thinking about purchasing a 2002 K1200 LT Elite from a private owner. Has a little over 12,000 miles. Looks in excellent condition. I test drove it yesterday and noticed that there is what appears to be gear noise. It starts when the bike starts moving. At around 50 MPH, the noise is covered up by wind and road noise. There is no vibration and no clunking. Bike shifts with no issues. The noise doesn't match what others have described for the final drive failure. Does anyone recognize the symptoms? I was using a borrowed half face helmet; my normal one is full face with lots of padding, so I don't know if this noise is normal. Thanks for any comments!
No way to know without hearing it first hand or at least a video with decent sound. The LT tends to have a fair bit of “normal” engine noise, so knowing what is abnormal really requires someone fairly familiar with the normal noises.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 Unread Oct 31st, 2019, 2:47 pm Thread Starter

Thanks Voyager for getting back to me. Replied earlier, but evidently didn't post. Bought the bike. Have to replace the seals on the front forks. Have been browsing this forum to find out if I can do it myself.

post #4 of 13 Unread Oct 31st, 2019, 3:47 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Thanks Voyager for getting back to me. Replied earlier, but evidently didn't post. Bought the bike. Have to replace the seals on the front forks. Have been browsing this forum to find out if I can do it myself.
I have not yet had to replace my fork seals (85,000 miles ... knock on wood), but I believe it is a fairly straightforward. Check out Kirk’s videos on youtube. I believe he covered this.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 13 Unread Oct 31st, 2019, 4:29 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Here is a write up of a fork tear down. He indicated cooper or gold flakes in his oil and a worn bushing. When I did mine I could find no measurable wear in either top or lower bushings (@ 90 K). Just do one at a time. Once you unbolt the fork lower from the lower bridge you can swing it away and just slide it off. There is a vent hole near the top so as you push it back on air will escape.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Fork rebuild(1).doc (1.14 MB, 16 views)

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #6 of 13 Unread Oct 31st, 2019, 5:02 pm Thread Starter

Thanks Voyager and Jzeller. I found a YouTube video put out by illinoisBMWriders that was very helpful. Will have no problem doing it myself. I will replace the slider spacer, bushing, and dust seal. Will think about installing a dust boot as others on this forum have done. Thanks again!
post #7 of 13 Unread Oct 31st, 2019, 6:45 pm

Quote:
Hey CapeRider, welcome to the forum. We have a saying here in my country, Greece. "If you burn your mouth by hotmilk you are cautious even on yogurt". What do I mean by this? I had experienced the FD bearing fail three times. I have heard the heavy and light bearing failure noise. I would advice, find a straight downhill road where you can speed it up for a while maybe 30 miles and then hold the clutch release throttle to idle, let it roll and try to listen the noises. I believe it's better without a helmet as it may cover or the open face ones may add noises.
post #8 of 13 Unread Oct 31st, 2019, 7:57 pm Thread Starter

Kankakee Nikos. I will try when I get back in town.
post #9 of 13 Unread Nov 5th, 2019, 6:55 pm

Quote:
Kankakee Nikos. I will try when I get back in town.
Hey, what's Kankakee?
post #10 of 13 Unread Nov 6th, 2019, 10:18 am Thread Starter

Sorry Nikos. Was typing from phone and it did a weird auto fill.
post #11 of 13 Unread Nov 12th, 2019, 11:58 am Thread Starter

Good morning. Just got back from my 2nd ride. The 1st ride didn't go too well. Stopped to check out the beach, and the bike wouldn't start. Called AAA and got a jump. Just put the new battery in yesterday. The old battery was 9 years old. It was a BMW battery with "Police Battery" written in sharpie on it. Charged the new battery overnight and it starts like a champ! I tried recording the sounds the bike makes, but need to find a better way to do it. Too much wind noise when I have the iPhone mounted where the old GPS used to be. The weather here on Cape Cod has turned fickle. It is 59 right now, but will be in the 30's tomorrow.

One ride and I am addicted to this bike! For such a big machine, it feels much smaller. Still getting used to the brakes; they are very sensitive. Very well behaved on switchbacks and in the wind.

Based on posts here, I have ordered the Vstream Z2450 wind screen. Also ordered the fuel line disconnects.
kbob12 likes this.
post #12 of 13 Unread Nov 12th, 2019, 4:07 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

Congratulations on your new bike!

" ...Based on posts here, I have ordered the Vstream Z2450 wind screen. Also ordered the fuel line disconnects."

If your brake lines are original, they would be something you need to order and replace also along with most any rubber parts like fuel lines on the motorcycle. Kirk J. videos are a great resource besides this forum!

Keep the shiny side up!

Bob
Covina, CA
2000 K1200LTI Champagne

post #13 of 13 Unread Today, 2:24 pm Thread Starter

Just replaced the wind screen. Only issue I had was with the plastic covers. I was able to get them off, but putting them back on was hard. Don't forget the compression limiters. Will tackle the fork seals and brake lines in the spring. Right now, the bike is in the shed and there isn't enough room to do any real work.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in