Just in Time! Sort of. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Jan 15th, 2007, 1:44 am Thread Starter

Just in Time! Sort of.

I move the Red Dragon from the two car side of the garage to the one car side and let it idle for a while. When I walked in front, low and behold the low beam light was out. Since I ordered the HID last week that is what I call timing. Maybe the Dragon gods were helping me make the HID decision last week. Hope it gets here on Tuesday.

Rob Asay
99 Canyon Red Lt
"The True Red Dragon"
1982 Honda "Silver Wing"
1986 Gold Wing Interstate "Blue Babe"
1978 Gold Wing
1976 Kawasaki 900
1967 Honda 305 Scrambler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Jan 16th, 2007, 2:13 pm

Last summer my low beam went out, and that prompted me to get a HID unit and install it. Much, much better. jrlakin
post #3 of 7 Old Jan 16th, 2007, 3:27 pm

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by robasay
I move the Red Dragon from the two car side of the garage to the one car side and let it idle for a while. When I walked in front, low and behold the low beam light was out. Since I ordered the HID last week that is what I call timing. Maybe the Dragon gods were helping me make the HID decision last week. Hope it gets here on Tuesday.
My stock low beam burnt out on me while I was riding my new (to me) 03 from PA to CA last year.
I was able to make it home (the last 100 miles) in the dark and heavy rain with my pair of PIAAs 1100x under the cowls. The lesson I learned was that you need more than the stock headlight (HID or stock) for redundancy with the added bonus of conspicuity and better lighting!

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 Old Jan 16th, 2007, 3:40 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy_gg
My stock low beam burnt out on me while I was riding my new (to me) 03 from PA to CA last year.
I was able to make it home (the last 100 miles) in the dark and heavy rain with my pair of PIAAs 1100x under the cowls. The lesson I learned was that you need more than the stock headlight (HID or stock) for redundancy with the added bonus of conspicuity and better lighting!
I am sorry to ask, but does your bike have a high beam? Saying that you drove home in the dark with only the PIAAs seems to think that you forgot about that. When I was trouble-shooting my HID the last couple of weeks, I used the high beam.

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 Old Jan 16th, 2007, 6:13 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrevelino
I am sorry to ask, but does your bike have a high beam? Saying that you drove home in the dark with only the PIAAs seems to think that you forgot about that. When I was trouble-shooting my HID the last couple of weeks, I used the high beam.
Yes Mike I had a high beam available but I could not use it as it was too bright for the cagers near me in the rain and would have gotten me flashed or worse. So from Palm Springs to L.A. I was actually quite fine with the aux lights as not much is needed on the lit I-10. I was just a bit anxious as there was snow on the road for about 10 miles...

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #6 of 7 Old Jan 16th, 2007, 8:04 pm

Quote:
Yes Mike I had a high beam available but I could not use it as it was too bright for the cagers near me in the rain and would have gotten me flashed or worse. So from Palm Springs to L.A. I was actually quite fine with the aux lights as not much is needed on the lit I-10. I was just a bit anxious as there was snow on the road for about 10 miles...
A few years ago I had my low HID fail to light while I was on a trip down south (relay got water logged). It must have failed during the day as night approached I could not see and I needed to use the high beam to light the road. I adjusted the high beam as low as it would go and it was enough to get me through the next two hours. The side illumination was very poor but because I could not find a motel with a vacancy I need to ride much longer than I would have normally. In short, I finished the trip, another 1100 miles, by running only in daylight. It was possible to use the high beam on 100% of the time even at night.. I never got flashed. Don't underestimate what that adjusting knob will do for you in an emergency.

Jack D. (Southern Connecticut)
2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #7 of 7 Old Jan 16th, 2007, 8:48 pm

Quote:
Yes, I know what you mean with using the high beam. Even though that my high beam is not a HID, when I had to use it, it was shinning directly into each cages rear window, something that the low beam HID does not do.

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in