A First for Me with LTs - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Jan 15th, 2007, 12:21 am Thread Starter
Super Moderator

A First for Me with LTs

I've owned three LTs since 1999 (99 with 46K, 02 with 25K, 05 with 24K). I was performing my 12K interval service this weekend and for the first time in all of these bikes and miles I found 3 intake valves tight (one at .004 and two at .005). I was actually very surprised when I came across this today, especially the one at .004. I know that it's somewhat inevitable, but 24K just seems early for them to be out of spec. I'll haul the bike over to the dealer next week and get them adjusted once I get the Ohlins back from their rebuild and reinstalled.

I'm not complaining; more of an observation than anything else.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Jan 15th, 2007, 12:51 am

Smile

No big deal David!

I had one Intake out of adjustment (.005") and two right at the limit during my 24K Insp. Ended up adjusting all three and no adjustments have been made since. That is during the 36K, 48K & 60K Insp's. All fine with no adjustments required. But a few were getting right to the limit on my last check, so I anticipate the next session may entail another tweak!

John

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 8 Old Jan 15th, 2007, 1:01 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTaylor
...and for the first time in all of these bikes and miles I found 3 intake valves tight (one at .004 and two at .005).
That's because you let me ride it at CCR!

post #4 of 8 Old Jan 15th, 2007, 3:40 pm Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
That's because you let me ride it at CCR!
Cool, can I send you the bill???

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

post #5 of 8 Old Jan 15th, 2007, 3:45 pm

Quote:
No problem!!!

Joe Messenger
131313 13th Street
CleebLand, OHighO 44413
post #6 of 8 Old Jan 15th, 2007, 3:51 pm

Quote:
Joe said to bring it to my house and I'll F.F.&F. it for you. (fix, feed and fart).

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #7 of 8 Old Jan 15th, 2007, 4:50 pm

Quote:
I've owned three LTs since 1999 (99 with 46K, 02 with 25K, 05 with 24K). I was performing my 12K interval service this weekend and for the first time in all of these bikes and miles I found 3 intake valves tight (one at .004 and two at .005). I was actually very surprised when I came across this today, especially the one at .004.
What woz the O.A.T. when you measured them - I understand CA can be red hot, and you can't beat a bit of differential expansion between steel and ally, and, was the .004 one near the front of the engine ?

• 2005 LT - 17 countries, 2 CONTINENTS & counting !
  • MB SLK 350 MT
  • 1974 Triumph Bonneville 750

post #8 of 8 Old Jan 15th, 2007, 11:23 pm Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolly
What woz the O.A.T. when you measured them - I understand CA can be red hot, and you can't beat a bit of differential expansion between steel and ally, and, was the .004 one near the front of the engine ?
Yes, CA can be red hot, in the middle of August in Death Valley! I'm up in the San Francisco area (60 miles south, still not far from the bay), and it winter time where the temps have been in the upper 20s overnight and 46-50 during the day for highs over the past week. Outside air temp was 46 degrees F when I was checking them, and the motor had not been run in 3 days so it was dead cold. The .004 was the most forward intake valve on the #2 cylinder. The .005s were the intake valves on #3. # 1 and #4 were within spec; a .006 and .007 on each.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in