Starting issue - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Axle
  • 1 Post By bmwcoolk1200
  • 1 Post By sailor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Oct 19th, 2019, 5:43 pm Thread Starter

Starting issue

I own a 2002 k1200lt. When I bought it about a month ago I put a new battery on it and fixed a broken wire. Cranked right up and I’ve rode it several times. Now it will not start. I can hear the fuel pump prime and the dash lights will come on for a short time and then dim but I hear nothing from the starter. Any suggestions?? Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Oct 19th, 2019, 6:10 pm

Re: Starting issue

Hopefully you won't find what I'm about to say insulting but have you checked to make sure the bike is in neutral with the side stand deployed.
I fell for that once while out on a ride just after I bought mine and my heart sank for a moment before I realized what I had done.
post #3 of 7 Old Oct 19th, 2019, 6:26 pm

Garage

if you haven't ridden it for a couple of weeks your battery is probably flat if it it been sitting without a battery tender, they have a serious current draw through the radio etc even if it is not going. from your description it can really only be (spark Battery) or fuel first thing to do is check and charge the battery.
beech likes this.

Regards Linton
From the land of Kangaroo's and Koalas
and no koalas are not Bears

2002 K1200LT
2010 Suzuki GSX 1250FA (the Wifes)
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT

post #4 of 7 Old Oct 19th, 2019, 6:43 pm

The 02 and newer have a built in low voltage cut out on the starter relay if the voltage is too low on the battery. This is to prevent a low voltage cranking fusing of the starter relay in the shut position. If you hear the fuel pump prime, then your interlocks all good. Likely a low battery as stated.

EDIT. Check for the tag "Anlassermodul" on the diagnostic plug harness. If retrofitted properly, it would be there to alert technicians of the newer relay and circuitry.
Voyager likes this.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by bmwcoolk1200; Oct 20th, 2019 at 9:20 am.
post #5 of 7 Old Oct 20th, 2019, 7:59 am

The "02" does not have the low voltage cut-off that came in, I believe in "05", so there is still a danger of fused contacts with a low battery condition. I would pay close attention to the starter after charging the battery to see if it is running continually when bike is started , if so disconnect battery so as not to fry wiring. Then either follow the procedure to unstick the starter relay contacts or replace with the new improved relay.

Pat Rourke
White Lake,MI.
2002 K1200 LTC, Champange

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 7 Old Oct 20th, 2019, 8:18 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by patroa1 View Post
The "02" does not have the low voltage cut-off that came in, I believe in "05", so there is still a danger of fused contacts with a low battery condition. I would pay close attention to the starter after charging the battery to see if it is running continually when bike is started , if so disconnect battery so as not to fry wiring. Then either follow the procedure to unstick the starter relay contacts or replace with the new improved relay.
Yep, there I go giving bad information again. Thought it was 02 but the Max BMW fiche does list it as from 01/05 for the blue updated relay. Thanks for catching that. It is possible that his bike has already been upgraded to that relay as I have done to mine. If the upgrade was done properly, there should be a tag applied to the diagnostic plug "Anlassermodul" to alert technicians that it has the retrofit.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

post #7 of 7 Old Oct 20th, 2019, 8:28 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by patroa1 View Post
Gordon was correct in his earlier post: at the factory, the new Starter Realy was introduced in 2001, but for the USA market these models were sold mainly as 2002 and later (also having the new iABS with servos).

There is an official Service-Bulletin for BMW-USA published in August 2001, that says all VIN from "ZD77402" (last 7 digits) will have the new Strarter Relay. At the factory this VIN corresponds to a production date of JULY-2001.

KEEP IN MIND there is a "retrofit kit" for ealier K1200LT, so you will find on the used market a few earlier K1200LT having the new Relay installed using this kit. The only sure way to know is to open the Relay junction box under fuel tank and check size and color. Personally, I would not assume the tag was applied to Diagnostic Plug in every case...

ALSO keep in mind there has been a few isolated cases reported here and on the K1200RS forum of these new "smart" Starter Relay going bad with age. The built-in eletrpnoc circuitry would just fail and the Relay would assume your Battery voltage was below acceptable threshold - hence not providing activation of the Starter.
bmwcoolk1200 likes this.

-------------------------------------------------
John (Montreal, CANADA)
K1200RS (2002 IceBlue/Red - 96,000 miles)
-------------------------------------------------
Think twice before you hit [SUBMIT REPLY] - famous quote by another member:
"The value of this board is not founded on dismissing the ideas of others, but by posting to share our experiences and what we've learned from them."

Last edited by sailor; Oct 20th, 2019 at 8:36 am.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in