• 1 Post By bmwcoolk1200
  • 1 Post By bmwcoolk1200
  • 1 Post By Will Scholze
  • 1 Post By Baitweller
  • 1 Post By Will Scholze
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 Unread Oct 17th, 2019, 9:24 pm Thread Starter

2001 K1200LT Won't start

Brand new to BMW's first one I have owned. I found it cheap on an auction. Looking through the maintenance records on the bike, it basically hasn't been run since 2003. In good shape 39,000 miles.

Gas was bad, drained that. Battery was completely shot, replaced that.

Bike turns over with new battery, but doesn't fire. I noticed the dash doesn't really come alive. I would expect the Tach to move as bike cranks? Even with charger on the battery light is on, and filled with fresh gas the fuel gauge doesn't move off E and the fuel light is on. Not sure if the tach is supposed to "sweep" on turning the key on like many bikes do. it doesn't move.

Any ideas on what to look for?

Also both brake levers are hard as a rock...can't pull them in past enough to trigger brake light to come on. Strange. But first thing first getting it to start.

Any ideas on what to look for? Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Unread Oct 17th, 2019, 10:49 pm

Re: 2001 K1200LT Won't start

Hello Will, Welcome to the world of the LT. It sounds like you have a project bike to work on. When you turn the ignition switch on, does the fuel pump start up? It should run for a couple seconds to pressure up the system. Beyond that, I would suspect a crud build up in the tank and fuel lines.

One of most popular resources for learning to work on these bikes comes from a regular member here. Check out his video collection at Illinois BMW Riders on Youtube. https://www.youtube.com/user/illinoisBMWriders
kbob12 and Will Scholze like this.

Scott and Theresa
Munising, MI
2004 K1200LT Black
2014 Kawasaki KLR650

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 30 Unread Oct 18th, 2019, 9:08 am
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

Hi Will-welcome, and congratulations on your new bike... of course you will need new tires, and brake lines, and fuel lines to go along with your other purchases.

Here is a photo of my fuel pump on the 2000 KLT I purchased a few years back. It was rusted solid.

You should check out this link to https://www.beemerboneyard.com if you haven't already. They are a great source for many items you may need to get your bike up to speed. Filters, fluids, fuel pump quick disconnects, etc.

Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RustyFuelPump.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	154689  

Bob
Covina, CA
2000 K1200LTI Champagne

post #4 of 30 Unread Oct 18th, 2019, 12:12 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Scholze View Post
Brand new to BMW's first one I have owned. I found it cheap on an auction. Looking through the maintenance records on the bike, it basically hasn't been run since 2003. In good shape 39,000 miles.

Bike turns over with new battery, but doesn't fire. I noticed the dash doesn't really come alive. I would expect the Tach to move as bike cranks? Even with charger on the battery light is on, and filled with fresh gas the fuel gauge doesn't move off E and the fuel light is on. Not sure if the tach is supposed to "sweep" on turning the key on like many bikes do. it doesn't move.

Also both brake levers are hard as a rock...can't pull them in past enough to trigger brake light to come on. Strange. But first thing first getting it to start.

Unfortunately, a bike that hasn’t run in 16 years is not in good shape pretty much by definition, unless it was properly pickled for long-term storage.

I am not familiar with the dash on the gen1 LTs, but my 2007 does a needle sweep as part of the power up self test. I am not sure why yours would not unless there is corrosion on a connection somewhere or if you didn’t get all of the cables reconnected to the battery. I think my LT has two hot wires and I think some of the LTs may have had three. I would check first to ensure all cables were reconnected. You said you replaced the battery, but did not say it was a new battery. Did you replace the battery with a new one or one from another bike? The LT is not very tolerant of a weak battery.

I suspect your fuel pump is probably a corroded mess, particularly if the last gas in the bike was E10. I would pull the pump assembly and take a good look at it before you spend too much time troubleshooting. If the battery is new and fully charged and the fuel pump and filter are clean and working, then it is time to start with the compression, fuel, spark checks.
bmwcoolk1200 and kbob12 like this.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #5 of 30 Unread Oct 18th, 2019, 3:09 pm

Quote:

I have a 2001 which has the same dash as yours. The tach does not sweep on key but I do get a bunch of lights on the dash. If you are not getting those, I would suspect rodent damage to the wiring harness and an inspection is in order besides the obvious need to inspect inside the tank for pump and internal fuel line condition.

Fill our some more of your profile and let us where you are. Someone may be close enough to assist if needed.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC02943.JPG
Views:	19
Size:	530.4 KB
ID:	154699  

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI – Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT – Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

post #6 of 30 Unread Oct 19th, 2019, 9:14 pm Thread Starter

[quote=Munmi;1926983]Hello Will, Welcome to the world of the LT. It sounds like you have a project bike to work on. When you turn the ignition switch on, does the fuel pump start up? It should run for a couple seconds to pressure up the system. Beyond that, I would suspect a crud build up in the tank and fuel lines.

One of most popular resources for learning to work on these bikes comes from a regular member here. Check out his video collection at Illinois BMW Riders on Youtube.
]
Yes fuel pump as well as gauge sending unit or what ever you call it are crudded up. New ones on way. Thanks for link to more info!
post #7 of 30 Unread Oct 19th, 2019, 9:16 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbob12 View Post
Hi Will-welcome, and congratulations on your new bike... of course you will need new tires, and brake lines, and fuel lines to go along with your other purchases.

Here is a photo of my fuel pump on the 2000 KLT I purchased a few years back. It was rusted solid.

You should check out this link to if you haven't already. They are a great source for many items you may need to get your bike up to speed. Filters, fluids, fuel pump quick disconnects, etc.

Cheers!
I know, as well as refresh the suspension and a few other things. Thanks for the link, got a fuel pump coming from there.
kbob12 likes this.
post #8 of 30 Unread Oct 19th, 2019, 9:19 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
Unfortunately, a bike that hasn’t run in 16 years is not in good shape pretty much by definition, unless it was properly pickled for long-term storage.

I am not familiar with the dash on the gen1 LTs, but my 2007 does a needle sweep as part of the power up self test. I am not sure why yours would not unless there is corrosion on a connection somewhere or if you didn’t get all of the cables reconnected to the battery. I think my LT has two hot wires and I think some of the LTs may have had three. I would check first to ensure all cables were reconnected. You said you replaced the battery, but did not say it was a new battery. Did you replace the battery with a new one or one from another bike? The LT is not very tolerant of a weak battery.

I suspect your fuel pump is probably a corroded mess, particularly if the last gas in the bike was E10. I would pull the pump assembly and take a good look at it before you spend too much time troubleshooting. If the battery is new and fully charged and the fuel pump and filter are clean and working, then it is time to start with the compression, fuel, spark checks.
I know the bike needs some attention, but i think you know what i mean by good shape.

Brand new battery, as well as a charger on it while i was putzing with it. New fuel pump on the way.
post #9 of 30 Unread Oct 19th, 2019, 9:23 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwcoolk1200 View Post
I have a 2001 which has the same dash as yours. The tach does not sweep on key but I do get a bunch of lights on the dash. If you are not getting those, I would suspect rodent damage to the wiring harness and an inspection is in order besides the obvious need to inspect inside the tank for pump and internal fuel line condition.

Fill our some more of your profile and let us where you are. Someone may be close enough to assist if needed.
Thank you! Those are the lights i was getting on the dash. Tach does come alive when i gave it a shot of either and the bike fired.

I am in Central WI. Have all winter to tinker on the bike. Plan on it being trip bike for the wife and I next summer when we get a chance.

Still confused about the brakes being hard like that. Has to be a seized up MC, but seems odd that both brakes are...they are probably linked i assume on this bike? I haven't had a ton of time to look into it to much have only had a few minutes here and there to work on bike as in the middle of harvest, and most of that time is trying to keep my kid from dragging tool and parts off, lol!
post #10 of 30 Unread Oct 19th, 2019, 9:35 pm

Quote:
Thank you! Those are the lights i was getting on the dash. Tach does come alive when i gave it a shot of either and the bike fired.

I am in Central WI. Have all winter to tinker on the bike. Plan on it being trip bike for the wife and I next summer when we get a chance.

Still confused about the brakes being hard like that. Has to be a seized up MC, but seems odd that both brakes are...they are probably linked i assume on this bike? I haven't had a ton of time to look into it to much have only had a few minutes here and there to work on bike as in the middle of harvest, and most of that time is trying to keep my kid from dragging tool and parts off, lol!
After sitting that long, you may benefit from sending out the injectors to be checked and cleaned. I and several others on this forum have used Mr Injector and the service for 4 is worth it and cost is less than replacing a single injector plus you get a report on the condition before and after cleaning of each injectors condition.

The brakes are integrated ( I-ABS ) and yes, both are applied when using either handle or pedal. If you haven't figured out yet, the brakes are electric servo operated so the key needs to be on for them to work and they are powerful, You do have what is called " residual braking " with the key off but you have to squeeze or press real hard and braking is very weak and limited.

EDIT : Disregard all the bold stuff as I misread the bike as a 2003 with I-ABS servo and it is a 2001 with the ABS-II system.

Mr Injector - Home
kbob12 likes this.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

Last edited by bmwcoolk1200; Oct 19th, 2019 at 11:08 pm. Reason: Incorrect information
post #11 of 30 Unread Oct 19th, 2019, 10:23 pm

His new bike is a 2001. He has the early ABS and the brakes are not servo powered. With the Key off you have no ABS but the brakes remain the same. I ride a 2000 and the brakes are not linked to my knowledge. I am sure somebody will correct me if I am wrong.

Still rolling in Southern Oregon
post #12 of 30 Unread Oct 19th, 2019, 11:06 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by garage monster View Post
His new bike is a 2001. He has the early ABS and the brakes are not servo powered. With the Key off you have no ABS but the brakes remain the same. I ride a 2000 and the brakes are not linked to my knowledge. I am sure somebody will correct me if I am wrong.
Well, DUh! I guess I should have read the caption closer. I caught the 2003 in the initial post so Will, disregard all that about the linked servo brakes as your bile does not have that as that wasn't implemented until 2002 US. Thanks for catching that Robert.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #13 of 30 Unread Oct 19th, 2019, 11:49 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by garage monster View Post
As I have said i haven't had much time to really look at the brakes, but i have paged through the riders manual that the bike came with new, and it mentions the servo powered brakes more then once, as well as mentioning that if it fails it will take significant lever effort (and increased travel) with reduced braking. It was in the manual in bold more then once. So i assume it has them. The bike is listed as a 2001, but was purchased new in 2002, so could be a 2002...haven't looked into it that closely yet. I did see the new purchase date was 2002 when looking through the paper work. Wouldn't be the first time a mistake like that was made on a vehicle.

As for the comment on the injectors made by bmwcoolk1200, I was planning on that. There is a local to me shop that will clean/service/inspect injectors and is pretty reasonably priced, as a guy who works for us had them done on an old car he was fixing up.
post #14 of 30 Unread Oct 20th, 2019, 7:25 am

Quote:
As I have said i haven't had much time to really look at the brakes, but i have paged through the riders manual that the bike came with new, and it mentions the servo powered brakes more then once, as well as mentioning that if it fails it will take significant lever effort (and increased travel) with reduced braking. It was in the manual in bold more then once. So i assume it has them. The bike is listed as a 2001, but was purchased new in 2002, so could be a 2002...haven't looked into it that closely yet. I did see the new purchase date was 2002 when looking through the paper work. Wouldn't be the first time a mistake like that was made on a vehicle.

As for the comment on the injectors made by bmwcoolk1200, I was planning on that. There is a local to me shop that will clean/service/inspect injectors and is pretty reasonably priced, as a guy who works for us had them done on an old car he was fixing up.
Look at the brake calipers, front in particular as the rear is interchangeable but not the front. If they say Brembo, then it is the older ABS-II system. If they say BMW, then it is the newer servo I-ABS system.

Mr Injector uses an ultrasonic cleaning bath and provides new filter screens, pintle covers and viton o-ring seals and a printed report from the flow bench of the injector performance pre and post cleaning just for a comparison of the service provided from your local shop.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

Last edited by bmwcoolk1200; Oct 20th, 2019 at 7:33 am.
post #15 of 30 Unread Oct 20th, 2019, 7:27 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
I know the bike needs some attention, but i think you know what i mean by good shape.

Brand new battery, as well as a charger on it while i was putzing with it. New fuel pump on the way.
I do now. You meant it looks good. To me, good shape means I can hop on and ride cross country.

I would also replace all int-tank fuel lines and the fuel filter as well as the pump as it likely is in bad shape also. And if the tank was left with E10 in it, I would buy a couple gallons of avgas and slosh that around in the tank and then drain it well to help remove any gunk leftover. Avgas makes a great solvent, just get it rinsed out well as it has high lead content and handle it accordingly.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #16 of 30 Unread Oct 20th, 2019, 7:30 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:

Does the manual have a model year on it? It sounds like you have a later model manual as I believe the servo brakes didn’t come out until 2004 in Europe and maybe Canada and 2005 in the US.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #17 of 30 Unread Oct 20th, 2019, 8:10 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Look at the brake calipers, front in particular as the rear is interchangeable but not the front. If they say Brembo, then it is the older ABS-II system. If they say BMW, then it is the newer servo I-ABS system.

Mr Injector uses an ultrasonic cleaning bath and provides new filter screens, pintle covers and viton o-ring seals and a printed report from the flow bench of the injector performance pre and post cleaning just for a comparison of the service provided from your local shop.
They say Brembo.

As for the model year in the manual, I'll have to look when i get back to the shop I highly doubt it is a manual from as late as 2005, its clear from records it hadn't been in a dealer since 2003. But weird things happen.
post #18 of 30 Unread Oct 20th, 2019, 8:22 am

Quote:
They say Brembo.

As for the model year in the manual, I'll have to look when i get back to the shop I highly doubt it is a manual from as late as 2005, its clear from records it hadn't been in a dealer since 2003. But weird things happen.
Then you do not have the servo assist brakes.
Will Scholze likes this.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #19 of 30 Unread Oct 20th, 2019, 8:31 am Thread Starter

Quote:
I do now. You meant it looks good. To me, good shape means I can hop on and ride cross country.

I would also replace all int-tank fuel lines and the fuel filter as well as the pump as it likely is in bad shape also. And if the tank was left with E10 in it, I would buy a couple gallons of avgas and slosh that around in the tank and then drain it well to help remove any gunk leftover. Avgas makes a great solvent, just get it rinsed out well as it has high lead content and handle it accordingly.
I don't believe E10 would have been super common in 2003. big ramp in ethanol was 07-10. But i have no way to know for sure.
post #20 of 30 Unread Oct 20th, 2019, 8:39 am

Quote:
Does the manual have a model year on it? It sounds like you have a later model manual as I believe the servo brakes didn’t come out until 2004 in Europe and maybe Canada and 2005 in the US.
NO... all large displacement BMW including Boxers (R1150xx) had iABS with servos beginning in 2002 for USA - for most other markets (Europe , Canada) the 1st year with servos was 2001. THE BEST RULE to clarify is to use stamping / markings on FRONT Brake calipers (BMW on iABS , Brembo on earlier ABS2).

I use the term "large displacement" above because the only exception to the 2001-2002 cutoff was the smaller single or twin in the "F" range (650, 700, 750..) having Rotax engines. These NEVER had iABS.

-------------------------------------------------
John (Montreal, CANADA)
K1200RS (2002 IceBlue/Red - 96,000 miles)
-------------------------------------------------
Think twice before you hit [SUBMIT REPLY] - famous quote by another member:
"The value of this board is not founded on dismissing the ideas of others, but by posting to share our experiences and what we've learned from them."
post #21 of 30 Unread Oct 20th, 2019, 11:03 pm Thread Starter

Ok, not to beat this brake issue to death. But the bike is certainly a 2001. The manual i have is the US model. It doesn't have a model year on the manual just Copyright 2000. The front calipers on the bike certainly say Brembo. But the manual specifically says the bike has a brake servo, and the brakes are linked. It does not list this as optional equipment like it does for other things. So...either it does, or I have the wrong manual...some how got a 2002 or later US model manual according to the above comments. Lol! Warranty info in the pack says it is a 2001.

Maybe manual was lost and dealer threw in a newer model manual? (I do know the bike was actually purchased in 2002, so possible dealer had them already?)
post #22 of 30 Unread Oct 20th, 2019, 11:11 pm

Quote:
Ok, not to beat this brake issue to death. But the bike is certainly a 2001. The manual i have is the US model. It doesn't have a model year on the manual just Copyright 2000. The front calipers on the bike certainly say Brembo. But the manual specifically says the bike has a brake servo, and the brakes are linked. It does not list this as optional equipment like it does for other things. So...either it does, or I have the wrong manual...some how got a 2002 or later US model manual according to the above comments. Lol! Warranty info in the pack says it is a 2001.

Maybe manual was lost and dealer threw in a newer model manual? (I do know the bike was actually purchased in 2002, so possible dealer had them already?)
If the calipers say Brembo, you do NOT have servo brakes. The front calipers are not interchangeable. The sensor ring on the front wheel should be cast iron for non servo and stamped steel for servo but that is my own observation between 2001 and 2002 bikes.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #23 of 30 Unread Oct 21st, 2019, 9:34 am Thread Starter

Quote:
If the calipers say Brembo, you do NOT have servo brakes. The front calipers are not interchangeable. The sensor ring on the front wheel should be cast iron for non servo and stamped steel for servo but that is my own observation between 2001 and 2002 bikes.
I don't doubt you. Just trying to explain the manual. My only theory is it some how got a 2002 manual stuck in the bike. I also notice the ABS lights are different in the manual from the bike. My bike has the 2 lights pictured above. The manual shows a single light for the servo brakes.

Thanks every one for the help! I'll chime in as I learn/find more about the bike and how it goes bringing it back to life! Hope to take a trip with my wife next summer on it. Just getting into riding with my wife, have ridden solo for years, talked her into taking a trip last summer on an old Goldwing i bought, she loved it and wants to do more trips. That was the first touring trip i ever did...have ridden lots offroad, and sport bikes on the street and track. My goal is to own many different bikes, i am open to almost any bike, except Harley's, lol! I've had fun on every bike i have owned, so enjoy trying new ones.
bmwcoolk1200 likes this.
post #24 of 30 Unread Oct 22nd, 2019, 9:18 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
My bike has the 2 lights pictured above. The manual shows a single light for the servo brakes.
The dash warning lights for ALL LTs from 99-2004 are the same both servo and non servo. One light is the "general warning" light and the other is the "brake fail" light. So technically there is only one light for the brakes. I would like to see a scan of the page in your manual as it would clear a lot up on what manual you really have.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #25 of 30 Unread Oct 22nd, 2019, 3:38 pm

Good luck with your Project Will. Once you get it running you'll love it
Voyager likes this.
post #26 of 30 Unread Oct 22nd, 2019, 7:53 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler View Post
The dash warning lights for ALL LTs from 99-2004 are the same both servo and non servo. One light is the "general warning" light and the other is the "brake fail" light. So technically there is only one light for the brakes. I would like to see a scan of the page in your manual as it would clear a lot up on what manual you really have.
My dash has 2 lights that both say ABS like the picture posted above. I posted a picture of what the manual has for a picture of the brake lights. as well as the page discussing the servo and linked brakes.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20191022_192630.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	10.2 KB
ID:	154751   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191022_192719.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	134.4 KB
ID:	154753  
post #27 of 30 Unread Oct 22nd, 2019, 10:39 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
My dash has 2 lights that both say ABS like the picture posted above. I posted a picture of what the manual has for a picture of the brake lights. as well as the page discussing the servo and linked brakes.
Whoops, last pic didn't attach.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20191022_192759.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	1.19 MB
ID:	154757  
post #28 of 30 Unread Oct 23rd, 2019, 8:51 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Yes you have the wrong manual if your front calipers look like this and say Brembo (first pic). That means you have non-linked and non-servo brakes.

If your front calipers look like the second picture, then you have the servo, linked brakes that your manual talks about.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Caliper Non Servo.PNG
Views:	14
Size:	202.5 KB
ID:	154761   Click image for larger version

Name:	Caliper Servo.PNG
Views:	14
Size:	142.2 KB
ID:	154763  

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #29 of 30 Unread Yesterday, 7:03 pm Thread Starter

Got a Fuel pump off the BMW Boneyard website listed. Finally got a chance to get it put in this evening. Primed it 2-3 times before hitting the starter, fired right up almost immediately....was surprised! Runs well.

On to getting the brakes working properly, and suspension, suspension feels wore out just sitting in the garage, lol! Everything else appears to be working so far...will see what else i run into when i tear it down more this winter.
bmwcoolk1200 likes this.
post #30 of 30 Unread Today, 8:53 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Sounds like you are on your way with the resurrection!

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in