Best Shocks - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Voyager
  • 1 Post By garage monster

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Oct 17th, 2019, 12:28 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Best Shocks

I'm looking for opinions on the best aftermarket shocks for my 2007 K1200LT?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Too much HORSEPOWER is almost enough!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Oct 17th, 2019, 9:24 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Re: Best Shocks

You will get a ton of suggestions. Ohlins were the "thing" to have when I ordered them back in 2006 and I was initially happy with them but the rebuild interval of 30 K was costly as so many internal parts needed to be replaced I just did it once and then switched to Wilbers on the next 30 K.

Klaus (EPM Performance [[email protected]]) had me evaluate a new ESA rear shock that they came out with in 2014 and I really liked the ESA part as I was always forgetting to add preload when we went two up. It was nice to do it on the fly. He gave me a half price deal for the evaluation report and I also bought the matching front (not ESA). They should hold up better than the light weight racing Ohlins I had. Still most aftermarket shocks are on a 30 K interval for rebuilds but the Wilbers have larger shafts than the Ohlins.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #3 of 10 Old Oct 18th, 2019, 3:24 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler View Post
You will get a ton of suggestions. Ohlins were the "thing" to have when I ordered them back in 2006 and I was initially happy with them but the rebuild interval of 30 K was costly as so many internal parts needed to be replaced I just did it once and then switched to Wilbers on the next 30 K.

Klaus (EPM Performance [[email protected]]) had me evaluate a new ESA rear shock that they came out with in 2014 and I really liked the ESA part as I was always forgetting to add preload when we went two up. It was nice to do it on the fly. He gave me a half price deal for the evaluation report and I also bought the matching front (not ESA). They should hold up better than the light weight racing Ohlins I had. Still most aftermarket shocks are on a 30 K interval for rebuilds but the Wilbers have larger shafts than the Ohlins.
Thanks for the reply. I had heard that some didn't like the Ohlins but no info on why. Other than them I was looking at the Wilbers, YSS, and Hyperpro so I'm looking for input on these brands.

post #4 of 10 Old Oct 19th, 2019, 4:06 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Ohlin's were initially designed for racing thus the light weight. The YSS I have seen have a much larger shaft so i suspect larger internals as well.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #5 of 10 Old Oct 19th, 2019, 7:25 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by goes2fast View Post
I'm looking for opinions on the best aftermarket shocks for my 2007 K1200LT?
I have Wilburs on mine. That was Ted Porter’s recommendation from the brands that he sells. He said they will hold up the longest ad longevity was high on my priority list.
goes2fast likes this.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #6 of 10 Old Oct 19th, 2019, 11:29 pm

I have had my 2000 for 5 years and it had Wilbers front and rear when I bought it. Love them and it does get ridden. Several Saddle Sore 1000's including just last month and last summer I did the coast to coast ride in just over 45 hours. Never a handling problem.
goes2fast likes this.

Still rolling in Southern Oregon
post #7 of 10 Old Oct 20th, 2019, 12:39 am Thread Starter

Garage

Does anyone have experience with the Hyperpros?

post #8 of 10 Old Oct 20th, 2019, 1:29 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I put Hyperpro springs on my 2010 GSA . They ride a lot better that the stock springs on the ESA shock, but what I put them on for was to lower the bike 40MM

Patric Blackman
2002 K1200LT/Hannigan2+2
2010 R1200GSA ...1987 Helix...
AMA Charter Lifemember
37 Year Member of both BMWMOA & BMWRA

post #9 of 10 Old Oct 21st, 2019, 11:43 am Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patric View Post
I put Hyperpro springs on my 2010 GSA . They ride a lot better that the stock springs on the ESA shock, but what I put them on for was to lower the bike 40MM
Thanks, I have heard that their springs were a big improvement but have found no reviews on their shocks.

post #10 of 10 Old Oct 21st, 2019, 11:34 pm

I got the rear TFX shock from Ted Porter ( beamershop) and have been very happy with it. Longer rebuild interval, Monster 15mm preload adjuster compared to the Ohlin that I have heard will blow out long before the TFX. Going to get the front next year to match.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in