17Likes
  • 14 Post By CharlieVT
  • 1 Post By mpenner
  • 1 Post By sailor
  • 1 Post By james216

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Oct 14th, 2019, 9:46 am Thread Starter

Ride report. Progress report.

Only 4000 miles on the 2018 K1600GTL. Still trying to make it feel more like our beloved 2000 K1200LT.

Yesterday’s ride, The World’s Greatest Pillion Rider (WGPR) and I head out under sunny skies, 60 degrees temps, and lots of autumn color. A quick shortcut over a couple miles of Vermont dirt roads allows us to bypass downtown traffic and we take the narrow roads through Guilford and Vernon, and head south into northern Massachusetts.

Vernon still looks prosperous, in spite of loss of the tax base provided by the now idled Vermont Yankee power plant. This is the Connecticut River valley, with the best farm land around; mostly lacking the ubiquitous rocks found in other Vermont farmland. A surviving dairy farm (so much of local dairy is gone), with a herd of Holsteins grazing in a green pasture. Later we see another farm, this with a group of Guernseys pastured on one side of the road, Holsteins on the other. These are the flat lands of Vermont, so different from the rocky hill farms that have difficulty surviving. Having grown up amongst the smell of dairy farms, the scent in the air as we pass the farms is pleasant to me; WGRP doesn't care for it.

Later, one of the biggest horse farms around. We hadn’t been down this road in a few years and didn’t recall seeing this one before, or at least not this big and prosperous looking. Seeming miles of white board fenced pastures. Horses grazing on pastures looking as neatly trimmed as a golf course. We used to have horses, but BMWs are cheaper to own. 

Starting our mountain road into Mass from Vernon, a narrow, recently paved road, lacking a center line, winds and climbs, under an awning of over hanging trees of green, orange, yellow, and red. This is a late afternoon ride and the sun shines through the trees, low over the mountain, casting shadows on the road amongst the fallen leaves. Leaves scattered only by our smooth, quiet GTL whisking along through the fallen leaves. This is perfect motorcycling.

Not sure what WGPR is doing; we don’t intercom and she plugs ear buds into an iPhone and listens to podcasts, books on tape, or whatever. I tap her left knee or just point out scenes of interest, a flock of sheep, or a great panorama at the mountain top. She taps my hip in acknowledgement. Our com system: she taps my hip when all is good, taps my shoulder when she wants to alert me to something, which she almost never does. Once we have pulled away from a stop, riding with WGPR is about the same as riding solo. Same bike, same ride, just with company.

The smooth power of the K1600 is pretty amazing, it just feels effortless as it climbs the mountain. (Advantage, GTL. The KLT was smooth and powerful, but no match for the roll on power of the 6 cylinder.) With so many other local roads suffering potholes, cracks, and patches, this road is so smooth the ride feels like low level flying.

In Mass, we take the road through the town of Gill, past the neat farm calling itself “UpinGill”, nice sweeping road, again good road surface and little traffic. The couple of cars we happen upon slow and pull over to ease our pass. I wave a thanks.

Getting to Mass rte. 2, I think of AJ’s Cycle, a place I visited for BMW parts, and coffee and conversation so many times over the years. (Users of BMW Owner's Anonymous will recall the "KK"). An old school BMW dealership in a house using converted living room for a showroom and the service shop in a building out back. Soft spoken Alan, behind the counter for parts and bike sales, told me years ago of expecting to lose his BMW dealership status. Indeed it happened. BMW NA, found its regional distributorships in MaxBMW. AJ's now sells MotoGuzzi's but still works on BMWs too. Max Stratton does a great job, and the MAX dealership I go to in NY (where I bought my GTL) is spacious and modern. They do a good job. But I miss the days of the “Mom and Pop” BMW dealerships and the days of the Airheads, “the gentleman’s motorcycle”. As years and miles click by, nostalgia becomes sweeter.

Our return "flight" from Mass to VT is on rte. 5. We pass fields of standing cornstalks, ready for harvest by the silage choppers. We've passed multiple open fields, dark earth fields dotted with bright orange pumpkins. Signs of the season.

Hint: Much is reported about rte 100 in VT as a motorcycle road, but rte 5 is under reported as a superb motorcycle road. In both Mass and VT, it follows the CT river, beautiful vistas, in some areas sweepers follow the curve of the river. The road parallels I-91, so most traffic is on the interstate, and the local traffic on rte 5 is relatively light and motorcycle friendly, the few cars often will slow to facilitate your pass.

My K1600GTL journey: Having gifted our 2000 K1200LT as a wedding present, I suffered great “gifter’s remorse”. I found my self shopping for a used KLT, but never closed on the few I looked at. In the words of a reply to one of my earlier posts, it is “time to move on”.

We recently test rode a new Honda Goldwing. I hadn’t realized the major make over Honda had given the Goldwing in 2017. It is a very different bike from the GL1800 we rented a few years ago in AZ. (WGPR likes the GTL pillion seat better than the Goldwing; she sees better and the hand grips are better on the GTL.) Again, very tempted, but didn’t bite. Had as many as 5 bikes at once some years ago, but they were Airhead projects; having two new expensive touring bikes at the same time would be fun, but it would be cheaper to get a horse.

With the rumored tranny recall on the GTL, a Goldwing purchase seemed a little more justifiable, but my hope is that any tranny fix will be done during the coming winter months.

Our GTL modifications: Aeroflow “mini wings”, a 7Jurock “A” windshield, and a Sargent seat. The mini-wings give GTL cockpit a little more of the feel of the KLT. The Jurock shield has a lip at the top like the CeeBailey did on our KLT, which is an improvement over stock. Suburban Machinery rider peg lowering kit. The Sargent seat is an improvement over stock, but after 4-6 hours I'm wanting my BeadRider or AirHawk cushion, so my OEM saddle is off to CA for a Russel Day Long make over. So, we are settling into the GTL and memory of the KLT is fading. I probably should never get on a KLT again, or my memory refreshed, “gifter’s remorse” will surface again.

In addition to missing our K1200LT, I miss the halcyon days of BMW Luxury Touring forum and the early days of K1200LT ownership. BMW Luxury Touring is still the best motorcycle site going, but lacking a KLT, I feel like an outsider. The other K1600 forum is full of good information, but it has its share of chastisement and argumentation that has been pleasantly absent on this board.

And the K1200LT is still an unmatched motorcycle.
Dick, pkpr1998, sailor and 11 others like this.

Last edited by CharlieVT; Oct 14th, 2019 at 12:22 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Oct 14th, 2019, 2:36 pm

Ride report. Progress report.

Your writing is superb. I feel like I was along for the ride. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
pkpr1998 likes this.
post #3 of 9 Old Oct 14th, 2019, 3:28 pm

Re: Ride report. Progress report.

I also agree that the writing is superb. We want more... ;-)

Based on many older post here, I know you are a pretty good wrench, but I was not aware you had such great talent for story telling / writing. Certainly you could submit some articles to paper magazines... however like the K1200LT these are now being replaced by something else, online magazine.

I can explain and offer photo / drawing to help someone solve a technical issues on a motorcycle, but I can only wished to have your talent in story telling (plus English is NOT my 1st language).
Voyager likes this.

-------------------------------------------------
John (Montreal, CANADA)
K1200RS (2002 IceBlue/Red - 96,000 miles)
-------------------------------------------------
Think twice before you hit [SUBMIT REPLY] - famous quote by another member:
"The value of this board is not founded on dismissing the ideas of others, but by posting to share our experiences and what we've learned from them."

post #4 of 9 Old Oct 14th, 2019, 3:40 pm

Never had a LT.... you can’t beat the power of the GTL though. I had a GTL but it was getting a little heavy for me so got an RT. Your right about the K16 forum there is a lot of chest thumping and in fighting between some of the different models of the big K.
post #5 of 9 Old Oct 14th, 2019, 4:08 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieVT View Post
Only 4000 miles on the 2018 K1600GTL. Still trying to make it feel more like our beloved 2000 K1200LT.

Yesterday’s ride, The World’s Greatest Pillion Rider (WGPR) and I head out under sunny skies, 60 degrees temps, and lots of autumn color. A quick shortcut over a couple miles of Vermont dirt roads allows us to bypass downtown traffic and we take the narrow roads through Guilford and Vernon, and head south into northern Massachusetts.

Vernon still looks prosperous, in spite of loss of the tax base provided by the now idled Vermont Yankee power plant. This is the Connecticut River valley, with the best farm land around; mostly lacking the ubiquitous rocks found in other Vermont farmland. A surviving dairy farm (so much of local dairy is gone), with a herd of Holsteins grazing in a green pasture. Later we see another farm, this with a group of Guernseys pastured on one side of the road, Holsteins on the other. These are the flat lands of Vermont, so different from the rocky hill farms that have difficulty surviving. Having grown up amongst the smell of dairy farms, the scent in the air as we pass the farms is pleasant to me; WGRP doesn't care for it.

Later, one of the biggest horse farms around. We hadn’t been down this road in a few years and didn’t recall seeing this one before, or at least not this big and prosperous looking. Seeming miles of white board fenced pastures. Horses grazing on pastures looking as neatly trimmed as a golf course. We used to have horses, but BMWs are cheaper to own. 

Starting our mountain road into Mass from Vernon, a narrow, recently paved road, lacking a center line, winds and climbs, under an awning of over hanging trees of green, orange, yellow, and red. This is a late afternoon ride and the sun shines through the trees, low over the mountain, casting shadows on the road amongst the fallen leaves. Leaves scattered only by our smooth, quiet GTL whisking along through the fallen leaves. This is perfect motorcycling.

Not sure what WGPR is doing; we don’t intercom and she plugs ear buds into an iPhone and listens to podcasts, books on tape, or whatever. I tap her left knee or just point out scenes of interest, a flock of sheep, or a great panorama at the mountain top. She taps my hip in acknowledgement. Our com system: she taps my hip when all is good, taps my shoulder when she wants to alert me to something, which she almost never does. Once we have pulled away from a stop, riding with WGPR is about the same as riding solo. Same bike, same ride, just with company.

The smooth power of the K1600 is pretty amazing, it just feels effortless as it climbs the mountain. (Advantage, GTL. The KLT was smooth and powerful, but no match for the roll on power of the 6 cylinder.) With so many other local roads suffering potholes, cracks, and patches, this road is so smooth the ride feels like low level flying.

In Mass, we take the road through the town of Gill, past the neat farm calling itself “UpinGill”, nice sweeping road, again good road surface and little traffic. The couple of cars we happen upon slow and pull over to ease our pass. I wave a thanks.

Getting to Mass rte. 2, I think of AJ’s Cycle, a place I visited for BMW parts, and coffee and conversation so many times over the years. (Users of BMW Owner's Anonymous will recall the "KK"). An old school BMW dealership in a house using converted living room for a showroom and the service shop in a building out back. Soft spoken Alan, behind the counter for parts and bike sales, told me years ago of expecting to lose his BMW dealership status. Indeed it happened. BMW NA, found its regional distributorships in MaxBMW. AJ's now sells MotoGuzzi's but still works on BMWs too. Max Stratton does a great job, and the MAX dealership I go to in NY (where I bought my GTL) is spacious and modern. They do a good job. But I miss the days of the “Mom and Pop” BMW dealerships and the days of the Airheads, “the gentleman’s motorcycle”. As years and miles click by, nostalgia becomes sweeter.

Our return "flight" from Mass to VT is on rte. 5. We pass fields of standing cornstalks, ready for harvest by the silage choppers. We've passed multiple open fields, dark earth fields dotted with bright orange pumpkins. Signs of the season.

Hint: Much is reported about rte 100 in VT as a motorcycle road, but rte 5 is under reported as a superb motorcycle road. In both Mass and VT, it follows the CT river, beautiful vistas, in some areas sweepers follow the curve of the river. The road parallels I-91, so most traffic is on the interstate, and the local traffic on rte 5 is relatively light and motorcycle friendly, the few cars often will slow to facilitate your pass.

My K1600GTL journey: Having gifted our 2000 K1200LT as a wedding present, I suffered great “gifter’s remorse”. I found my self shopping for a used KLT, but never closed on the few I looked at. In the words of a reply to one of my earlier posts, it is “time to move on”.

We recently test rode a new Honda Goldwing. I hadn’t realized the major make over Honda had given the Goldwing in 2017. It is a very different bike from the GL1800 we rented a few years ago in AZ. (WGPR likes the GTL pillion seat better than the Goldwing; she sees better and the hand grips are better on the GTL.) Again, very tempted, but didn’t bite. Had as many as 5 bikes at once some years ago, but they were Airhead projects; having two new expensive touring bikes at the same time would be fun, but it would be cheaper to get a horse.

With the rumored tranny recall on the GTL, a Goldwing purchase seemed a little more justifiable, but my hope is that any tranny fix will be done during the coming winter months.

Our GTL modifications: Aeroflow “mini wings”, a 7Jurock “A” windshield, and a Sargent seat. The mini-wings give GTL cockpit a little more of the feel of the KLT. The Jurock shield has a lip at the top like the CeeBailey did on our KLT, which is an improvement over stock. Suburban Machinery rider peg lowering kit. The Sargent seat is an improvement over stock, but after 4-6 hours I'm wanting my BeadRider or AirHawk cushion, so my OEM saddle is off to CA for a Russel Day Long make over. So, we are settling into the GTL and memory of the KLT is fading. I probably should never get on a KLT again, or my memory refreshed, “gifter’s remorse” will surface again.

In addition to missing our K1200LT, I miss the halcyon days of BMW Luxury Touring forum and the early days of K1200LT ownership. BMW Luxury Touring is still the best motorcycle site going, but lacking a KLT, I feel like an outsider. The other K1600 forum is full of good information, but it has its share of chastisement and argumentation that has been pleasantly absent on this board.

And the K1200LT is still an unmatched motorcycle.
I can’t imagine you ever being an outsider here ... unless maybe you buy a Harley.

I agree 100% with your last statement. I am still looking for a bike that is overall better for my mission than the LT. The GA comes closest, but I am hoping to test ride a 1250RT next year or the year after and see how that goes. I could live with the GA, even though I like the looks of the GTL and RT better, but the wife really dislikes the GTL and was sort of OK with the GA. However, she still likes it when we get back from Europe after a couple weeks on a GTL and she can get back on our LT.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 9 Old Oct 14th, 2019, 4:10 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
...I can explain and offer photo / drawing to help someone solve a technical issues on a motorcycle... (plus English is NOT my 1st language).
Indeed you have been a noteworthy contributor here. I always read your posts with interest and enlightenment when I was into my K1200LT final drive inquiry.

Understatedly, your English much better than my French. I learned "comment sa va?" and "pas trop pire" from my long time friend and neighbor from Quebec; apparently I learned to pronounce "pas trop pire" well enough to get a customs official to start rattling to me in French. I had to stop him and explain he had already reached the limits of my comprehension.

Thank you for your past contributions here.
post #7 of 9 Old Oct 15th, 2019, 8:35 am

Curtis, great story! I did bite the bullet and bought a 2016 Goldwing with 12,000 miles. Quite a bit different from my K1200LT. Better low-speed handling, far better clutch, better transmission, easier operating reverse, gobs of low-end torque, cruise about the same. Much poorer gas mileage. The paint is of poor quality compared to BMW and I really miss my electric windshield. The seat is far superior to BMWs. Time will tell. I did just have Hannigan put on a GTL sidecar (could not stand the thought of a trike) and that cut the mileage to the upper 20s.

Robert

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)

2000 K1200LT "Latifah"
1994 R1100RSL (wife's)
1981 R80GS
1976 R90S
1965 R80/2 Frankenbike (wife's)
2001 Bunkhouse LX (given to son)
2011 Bunkhouse Queen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 9 Old Oct 18th, 2019, 4:19 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Hey Curtis,

ALWAYS! great to hear from you. Very nice ride report. Thank you! After having ridden my other two bikes, getting on the K12LT is such a pleasure. As I've mentioned in the past, having tested the GLT multiple times, but for me, if I can continue to maintain the K12 to it's original specs, I'll "just ride it". It's what i've always wanted.

Enjoy the awesome colors you're getting,
Jer

Jerry Palma
99 K1200LTI Champagne 'Oh, Kay' (dropped: 5)
97 K1100LT Aspen Silver Night High Line 'Silver Knight'
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'
08 535xi Space Gray metallic
09 328i Silver Convertable
17 X3 Glacier Silver metallic

BMWMOA #157323 / ABC #11368 -- All-in-all a newbie!

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!
post #9 of 9 Old Oct 20th, 2019, 7:29 pm

I really enjoyed your article/review on the GTL. You knowing your BMW motorcycles. And as usual the 1600 comparison to the LT is vastly differant and seems to come up short. I too as others and you are searching for a replacement for the LT. A: It's getting old. My ABS is shot and the constant maintenance is getting old. As I'm also getting old. B: It would be great to find a reliable replacement where mechanical worries on a road trip would be a thing of the past but with LT comfort. No such bike exists. So. It's either a GTL, an RT, or maybe a GA. Lately. I've resigned myself to just keeping the LT. Putting on a custom seat It's paid for. And nothing out there will do what the LT does.
Mark65 likes this.

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
1999 Suzuki Intruder VL1500LC. Betty Lou.
I'm a 4 percenter.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in