BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Rear Bag Moldings

911 views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  goes2fast 
#1 ·
What is the best way to remove the molding on the rear bags?

#2 ·
Wrestle! Not really. Light heat from behind, then try to get a string under the strip and bag and work your way back. It's really easy on some, and a longer project on others. I've done two-one was easy, the other quite hard. Take your time-another way to 'learn' your bike. I used 3M tape to install the new ones-after 150K miles, they are still on.

Keep us updated on your weekend project!

#7 ·
The guy that made them just used stock reflectors so you could pop it off and see if you can remove the LEDs and transfer them to a new reflector. I may still have my instruction sheet that has pictures, if so I'll scan them and post.

#9 ·
It is the chrome trim that is scratched and needs to be replaced, my led lights are fine. My bike has a few cosmetic flaws and the scratched trim is the worst. it's in pretty good shape for almost 13 years old and I already replaced the cracked ignition switch cover with a used one and if I can replace the scratched chrome I can live with the other minor flaws. :grin:

What I need to know is where can I get a replacement chrome piece? All I ever see is the used whole bag assembly and usually the chrome is scratched worse than mine.

#11 ·
I thought they might not be available from the dealer any longer and I knew if they were it would be expensive. Thanks for the info I guess I had better save up and get one before they are no longer available. I just bought new Metzelers for it and fork seals and it needs a couple of other things before I start on cosmetic things. The ignition switch cover I found used so it didn't cost much but I haven't had any luck finding the chrome piece used.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.