HID to LED - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By jzeiler
  • 1 Post By goes2fast

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old Oct 6th, 2019, 11:47 am Thread Starter

Garage
HID to LED

I'm wondering if anyone has converted their factory HID to LED with success? I put a 6000K LED in my high beam and now the HID looks yellow in comparison so I'm thinking a LED conversion may put out better light in the low beam as well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Too much HORSEPOWER is almost enough!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old Oct 7th, 2019, 2:50 am

Re: HID to LED

The colour doesn't tell you a lot about light output. An HID has its best light output at a colour temperature of 4300K so will appear more yellow if that is what you have. I don't know how the power output and colour temperature corelate with LED.

One point to bear in mind with 6000K is that it is very close to sunny daylight, meaning that it is then less visible to other traffic. LED seem not to be available in any other colour temperature though, whereas the HID could be anything from very yellow to purple!

Previous username - ajlelectronics
post #3 of 19 Old Oct 7th, 2019, 9:57 am Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scimitar View Post
The colour doesn't tell you a lot about light output. An HID has its best light output at a colour temperature of 4300K so will appear more yellow if that is what you have. I don't know how the power output and colour temperature corelate with LED.

One point to bear in mind with 6000K is that it is very close to sunny daylight, meaning that it is then less visible to other traffic. LED seem not to be available in any other colour temperature though, whereas the HID could be anything from very yellow to purple!
LEDs are available in other colors than the most popular 6000K and can put out more lumens than the factory HID. I like Daylight as it gives more definition for my old tired eyes at night, and I think that next to my Blue bike it stands out more than the yellowish color. I put LED bulbs in the park lights and they are more attention-getting now than the old yellowish stock bulbs in my opinion, so that is why I want all LED lights beside the lower power draw. Just think about the LED DRLs on most of the modern luxury cars and how they stand out in the daytime.

post #4 of 19 Old Oct 7th, 2019, 5:27 pm

Where did you buy the H7 / H9 LED bulbs? I can't find them as singles only for cars.
post #5 of 19 Old Oct 8th, 2019, 7:47 am

I'm not familiar with the BMW HID system, as mine's a 2002 which started out with a halogen (it now has a HID). HOWEVER, be aware the light emitting part of an LED (at least at headlight intensities) is generally going to be bigger than the light emitting part of an HID bulb -- so the focus will be probably wrong.

Also be aware that HIDs don't mind heat. LEDs will produce less heat for a given amount of light BUT they dislike heat, so you might have to worry about cooling of the LED.

I'm very much of the opinion, if another driver sees your high beam, you are doing it wrong or you are letting them know they are doing something wrong. So color of the high beam vs. the regular beam really isn't an issue to me.
post #6 of 19 Old Oct 8th, 2019, 10:45 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by goes2fast View Post
Just think about the LED DRLs on most of the modern luxury cars and how they stand out in the daytime.
But they are NOT designed to light the road at night like LED headlights. Different animals.
Scimitar likes this.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #7 of 19 Old Oct 8th, 2019, 11:07 am Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaneRanch View Post
Where did you buy the H7 / H9 LED bulbs? I can't find them as singles only for cars.
I bought a pair on eBay, I figured I would keep the extra one for a spare. You have to be careful when buying LEDs as some are junk.

post #8 of 19 Old Oct 8th, 2019, 11:11 am Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler View Post
But they are NOT designed to light the road at night like LED headlights. Different animals.
That comment was in response to the comment about the 6000K color not being as noticeable in the daytime for visibility to other drivers. Also, I think the 6000K gives me better definition at night.

post #9 of 19 Old Oct 8th, 2019, 11:20 am Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickHolland View Post
I'm not familiar with the BMW HID system, as mine's a 2002 which started out with a halogen (it now has a HID). HOWEVER, be aware the light emitting part of an LED (at least at headlight intensities) is generally going to be bigger than the light emitting part of an HID bulb -- so the focus will be probably wrong.

Also be aware that HIDs don't mind heat. LEDs will produce less heat for a given amount of light BUT they dislike heat, so you might have to worry about cooling of the LED.

I'm very much of the opinion, if another driver sees your high beam, you are doing it wrong or you are letting them know they are doing something wrong. So color of the high beam vs. the regular beam really isn't an issue to me.
Technology is changing constantly on lighting like everything else. The latest LEDs mimic a regular bulb filament placement to give correct beam pattern and the high powered LEDs have cooling built-in some use just fins and others fins plus a fan. The latest trend is high tech fin systems that do not require a fan. As for color I prefer the 6000K daylight for better definition at night.
Scimitar likes this.

post #10 of 19 Old Oct 9th, 2019, 8:38 am

I installed the Cyclops high beam LED on mine. Excellent company.
The bulb has a fan. Fits right in.
I like the low beam OEM Xenon as it is.
Also replaced the two side courtesy markers with LEDs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

----------------------------------------------------
BMW K1200LT 2007
BMW K1200R: "Drophammer" 2006
BMW R1200GS 2008
BMW K1200S 2007
Suzuki DR-Z400E 2000
Sachs MadAss FY125-20
BMW R1200R 2009 (in my stable, thinking about it...)

-----------------------------------------------------
post #11 of 19 Old Oct 9th, 2019, 8:54 pm

Garage

I put an ADVmonster.com bulb in the low spot. Brilliant with a clean cut off. No complaints here. I have auxilarry lights so didn't bother with the high beam yet,
post #12 of 19 Old Oct 10th, 2019, 11:03 am

I've tried to reply to Wayne's question but it seems that the messaging system is not working.

The LT has a H9 bulb. do check.

I bought this from Cyclops Adventure Sports:

https://www.cyclopsadventuresports.c...Bulb_p_94.html

They have very nice support.

The side markers got them from www.superbrightleds.com

Cheers!

BMW K1200LT 2007
BMW R1200GS 2008
BMW K1200S 2007
Suzuki DR-Z400E 2000
Sachs MadAss FY125-20

post #13 of 19 Old Oct 10th, 2019, 11:16 am

One word of caution on LEDs or HIDs though.

I replaced all of my bikes lights to LEDs, from Cyclops. They're incredibly bright, and I think they reach as far a couple miles (that I can see the signs reflecting light).

However, they are 6,000K in color. Meaning, they're of a white blueish hue.

The Xenon on the OEM lights are at 4,300K. This is not blue, white or yellow. It's almost yellow but mostly white.

Blue light is dispersed and scattered by moisture, and anything that has water (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rayleigh_scattering). It's called Rayleigh Scattering.

This is why the sky is blue, and water looks blue.

So, when I changed my GS ligths to LED, I was in Costa Rica in a torrential rain. I couldn't see jack. The lights were reflecting on everything like a big blue fog.

So, my high beam is back to Halogen. Same for the other bikes.
On the LT somehow the high beam does work. I think it's because of the Xenon light.

Anyways, I've been trying to find 4,300K LEDs but no luck. They sell them only with a yellow screen.

On the LT will work.

BMW K1200LT 2007
BMW R1200GS 2008
BMW K1200S 2007
Suzuki DR-Z400E 2000
Sachs MadAss FY125-20

post #14 of 19 Old Oct 10th, 2019, 12:09 pm Thread Starter

Garage

You shouldn't be riding in any kind of precipitation with your high beams on as the light gets reflected back at you making visibility worse no matter what color the light is.

I just put LEDs in all my turn signals so now only the low beam is not LED. I guess there is no way to use LED bulbs in lights designed for HID, at least I can't find any info.

I found listings for both 4000K and 5000K LED headlight bulbs on eBay so they are available.

post #15 of 19 Old Oct 10th, 2019, 12:35 pm

Could you post a link to those ?
Iíd love to get some in 4000K.

Thanks !

BMW K1200LT 2007
BMW R1200GS 2008
BMW K1200S 2007
Suzuki DR-Z400E 2000
Sachs MadAss FY125-20

post #16 of 19 Old Oct 11th, 2019, 12:13 am Thread Starter

Garage

You can search eBay just as easy as I can, I didn't save the ones I found as I don't care for the yellow light. just type 4000K led headlight bulb and hit search.

post #17 of 19 Old Oct 11th, 2019, 8:33 am

I know I can mate.
I have.
Only found sketch LEDs with yellow screens. Not true color.
Itís best to find a reputable company like Cyclops.

BMW K1200LT 2007
BMW R1200GS 2008
BMW K1200S 2007
Suzuki DR-Z400E 2000
Sachs MadAss FY125-20

post #18 of 19 Old Today, 6:30 am

The yellow is easier on the eye and offers a slight reduction in fatigue. Harsh white the opposite although it does allow better colour perception.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
post #19 of 19 Old Today, 10:41 am Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondrage View Post
I know I can mate.
I have.
Only found sketch LEDs with yellow screens. Not true color.
Itís best to find a reputable company like Cyclops.

I don't know why you couldn't find these but they don't use a filter.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-LED-Head...b7d13500f85638

Another option.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LED-EAGLE-3...QAAOSwrH5ZlKWN

And another.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/H11-H8-H9-L...cZcqc_Och1YkSQ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in