3Likes
  • 1 Post By jzeiler
  • 1 Post By Cgdeal
  • 1 Post By Wazza

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Oct 4th, 2019, 12:14 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Greetings Everyone

I've been riding Harley's the past 13 or so years and bought a 2002 K-1200LT, which was well taken care of with 24k miles, about a year ago. I wasn't sure I'd like such a big bike but actually fell in love with the ride and comfort. So much so that I've decided to sell the Harley. I took the bike to a Beamershop and talked with the service manager who had been servicing the bike for the previous owner. He said K-1200's are good bikes but age very poorly.

My question to the group is, what determines the longevity of these bikes? Is it age or mileage? Obviously things will need to be repaired/replaced, i.e., tires, breaks, shocks, so forth and so on, but the big items which scare me are the clutch, rear seal. How long are those expected to last? Has everyone had to replace them?

Just wondering and would appreciate any feedback.

By the way, I've never been a part of a messaging form. I've been scanning this for a while and the information you all put out there is fantastic! Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Oct 4th, 2019, 4:30 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Re: Greetings Everyone

Welcome aboard. The LT is quite different from your Harley's. It has NO low end torque so you need to get the revs up before you shift to a higher gear (3,500 to 4,000).

To prolong the life of the clutch never exceed 1,500 RPM while starting out until the clutch is fully engaged, then you can hammer it and she will hit 60 MPH in first gear when you hit the rev limiter.

The other point is the brake lines, if they are the original black rubber lines they are ready to blow. Replace with a set of new lines from Speigler. Best preventative for the rear drive is to change that oil every time you change the engine oil (every 6 K). Look at the rear drive oil and if you see gray fuzz you are OK, but if there is any shiny stuff stop and get the drive rebuilt (saddleman here is the expert).

I have 113 K on mine and Don Aurthur had 304 K on his when he totaled it on his way to the Iron Butt Rally back in 2007 or so.

Enjoy the ride and this is the best site for help and support for the LT.
Voyager likes this.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 Old Oct 4th, 2019, 7:54 pm

Welcome to the forum from hiding in the shadows. Keep up with the maintenance and you will be happy. When you tear into it, do as much work as possible. You will probably need at least 2 hours fiddling with the plastic dress but you will eventually get faster.

Current Ride: '02 LT - The Mistress

post #4 of 10 Old Oct 5th, 2019, 1:38 am

Welcome to the forum and also to the LT family. I have to say that I find the statement about the LT ageing badly a strange thing to say. Ageing badly compared to what. Other simpler motorcycles?
I don't think you can compare the LT to the average bike. When I bought mine I thought I was buying a motorcycle but the more I think about it I bought a BMW sports car that was missing two wheels. When you get under her skin you find there is a lot going on and I think it all comes down to how you go about looking after that.
It's like any vintage vehicle, you find a good one and you make it better. It really is a bike for the happy wrencher though. If you don't get a little buzz every time you pick up a wrench then perhaps you chose the wrong ride. This site will be your friend and watch all the videos you can find and happy riding.
post #5 of 10 Old Oct 5th, 2019, 1:49 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Thank you all for the warm welcome!

John, that's impressive mileage your getting out of your bike, with proper maintenance maybe I can compete. I'll certainly head your advice on taking off.

First thing I did was change the breaklines to Speiglers. I actually did it myself, long time since I picked up a wrench, but wasn't able to bleed the ABS breaks; took it to the professionals.

guitarjim, Thanks! feels good to be in the light :-),

Wazza - Yeah, I didn't like the aging comment either... I like to ride more than wrench, but I do find it therapeutic working on it. I may be weird but I really like the looks. Down here is south TX, we ride year round, but it's damn hot in the summer. I may need to AC the garage so I can spend time working on it... My wife will love that

Gotta run.. Thank you all! I'll keep you informed of my progress!
djmellor likes this.
post #6 of 10 Old Oct 5th, 2019, 6:50 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgdeal View Post

Wazza - Yeah, I didn't like the aging comment either... I like to ride more than wrench, but I do find it therapeutic working on it. I may be weird but I really like the looks. Down here is south TX, we ride year round, but it's damn hot in the summer. I may need to AC the garage so I can spend time working on it... My wife will love that

Yeah we get pretty hot weather over here in summer as well. One of the best things I did was change the screen. Mine came with a tall screen and even when it was all the way down I couldn't get any air on me to cool me down. I bought a shorter screen and it has made the bike more versatile. You can drive it up and have full coverage or you can drive it down and get a cooling blast of wind in your face and on your upper body. I think it also makes the bike look better, more balanced.
post #7 of 10 Old Oct 6th, 2019, 6:32 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazza View Post
Yeah we get pretty hot weather over here in summer as well. One of the best things I did was change the screen. Mine came with a tall screen and even when it was all the way down I couldn't get any air on me to cool me down. I bought a shorter screen and it has made the bike more versatile. You can drive it up and have full coverage or you can drive it down and get a cooling blast of wind in your face and on your upper body. I think it also makes the bike look better, more balanced.
What shorter screen did you get? Mine has a nice Cee Baily but it covers too much for hot summer driving.
post #8 of 10 Old Oct 6th, 2019, 7:44 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGABMWLT View Post
What shorter screen did you get? Mine has a nice Cee Baily but it covers too much for hot summer driving.
There is a company here in Australia called Eagle Screens and they make screens for a very wide range of bikes and ship world wide. When I bought my bike it had an Eagle Screen on it that was 590 mm high. I replaced it with one that is 435mm high and it cost me $230 AUd plus shipping. I think the quality is quite good and I am certainly very happy with my choice.
I did the Distinguished Gentlemen's Ride last Sunday and the picture is from that, I don't usually look like this when I ride but you can get an idea of what the bike looks like with the screen.
You might also notice that I have removed the top case which made a huge difference to the handling.
You can find Eagle Screens at eaglescreens.com.au
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	71393815_2424813947839884_94018595046031360_o.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	876.0 KB
ID:	154583  
Cgdeal likes this.
post #9 of 10 Old Today, 6:06 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGABMWLT View Post
I lived in Houston for a few years and after the first early summer ride I pulled my Cee Baily off, took it over to a plastic & glass shop and had them cut about 3 inches off the top. I'm about 6' 4" so when the shield is all the way down the top of it is roughly mid helmet so I get decent airflow.

BTW, I agree completely about replacing the brake lines. I haven't had to do a clutch or final drive yet but I'm only at 29k so far on my 2001.

The information and knowledge on this site, along with Kirk Johnson's You Tube videos from Northern Illinois BMW Motorrad Club, make the maintenance on this bike about as "easy" as it can be, especially for a non-wrencher like myself.

Welcome to the LT family !!
post #10 of 10 Old Today, 6:22 pm

Cool Re: Greetings Everyone

Welcome aboard! I'm on my 3rd LT. (Actually 5th if you count 2x K100LT). It's a space ship. A/C is not as good as the heater, however. Those little wing windows by the tank work great when it's warm. When it's hot, they're great at blowing hot air onto you. ;-) We had a few 100+ degree days this summer in Redlands, CA. Bike runs fine in hot or cold. High mileage rider needs more frequent coolant refills in that weather.

I have found the advice and support on this forum to be excellent. Almost as good as having a BMW mechanic for your neighbor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgdeal View Post

John, that's impressive mileage your getting out of your bike, with proper maintenance maybe I can compete. I'll certainly head your advice on taking off.

First thing I did was change the breaklines to Speiglers. I actually did it myself, long time since I picked up a wrench, but wasn't able to bleed the ABS breaks; took it to the professionals.

guitarjim, Thanks! feels good to be in the light :-),

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in