• 3 Post By trussell
  • 2 Post By 14wntr
  • 1 Post By Voyager
  • 2 Post By trussell
  • 1 Post By trussell

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 Old Sep 29th, 2019, 9:33 pm Thread Starter

Front suspension collapsed conundrum

So I picked up a used set of Ohlins and had them rebuilt and recently installed them in the LT.
I was enjoying the newfound harmony and feed back when on a bumpy road I stated noticing that the front end was moving around after hitting some uneven pavement.
I was riding it home as the sun was going down and noticed not only the front end was moving around but that the headlight was bouncing considerably as well.
I pulled in the garage and went to put it on the center stand and I could not get enough momentum to lift the bike. So I put it on the side stand.
The next day I looked at the bike a little better and noticed that the front suspension was collapsed and not moving at all. By jacking up the bike and putting wood under the front tire I was able to put it on the center stand I then put a jack under the bike and lifted the front end. And the suspension remained collapsed. Not even gravity would lower the tire to the ground. I then removed the fender to get a better look and the shock spring is completely compressed as if there is something heavy on top of the bike, but the front wheel is off the ground.
I'm not familiar with this suspension and this doesn't seem to make sense as most suspensions would expand once the weight was removed from the spring.
Any ideas???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old Sep 29th, 2019, 9:47 pm

Re: Front suspension collapsed conundrum

Tom, it sounds to me like some sort of shock issue. Yeah, that is stating the obvious, I know. Who did the rebuild? I would be very careful removing it. Shochks should dampen on the rebound but if something is broken and jammed, then it could fly apart if it released suddenly.

Does the rest of the front end look intact like the ball joint is still in place and not broken? I have heard that the front collapses if that breaks but I would expect it to expand again as the front was lifted and probably be pretty wobbly with no fixed connection point.
Voyager and beech like this.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI – Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT – Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 26 Old Sep 30th, 2019, 12:24 am Thread Starter

I know it doesn't make much sense. But my suspension knowledge is more telescopic forks vs Paralevel suspension.

The guy who re did the suspension has been doing my shocks for 30 years and even works on monster truck suspensions, so he knows his stuff. But that doesn't mean that he didn't forget to torque something down.

And I'm plenty respectful of stored energy. I gave the forks a good whack with a dead blow hammer just to see if something is stuck but nothing released.

I know it doesn't make any sense. Just thought I'd check with the experts

post #4 of 26 Old Sep 30th, 2019, 4:58 am

Good morning,

Try loosening the axle pinch bolts to allow the sliders to realign. If you tightened a axle pinch bolt before tightening the axle the fork tubes will be closer together on the bottom than the top and will bind.

Good luck
Dave
post #5 of 26 Old Sep 30th, 2019, 12:05 pm
Enjoy The Ride

A valve has moved inside the shock. You will have to ratchet the front subframe down before you remove the top nut.
Patric likes this.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 26 Old Sep 30th, 2019, 12:29 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by trussell View Post
So I picked up a used set of Ohlins and had them rebuilt and recently installed them in the LT.
I was enjoying the newfound harmony and feed back when on a bumpy road I stated noticing that the front end was moving around after hitting some uneven pavement.
I was riding it home as the sun was going down and noticed not only the front end was moving around but that the headlight was bouncing considerably as well.
I pulled in the garage and went to put it on the center stand and I could not get enough momentum to lift the bike. So I put it on the side stand.
The next day I looked at the bike a little better and noticed that the front suspension was collapsed and not moving at all. By jacking up the bike and putting wood under the front tire I was able to put it on the center stand I then put a jack under the bike and lifted the front end. And the suspension remained collapsed. Not even gravity would lower the tire to the ground. I then removed the fender to get a better look and the shock spring is completely compressed as if there is something heavy on top of the bike, but the front wheel is off the ground.
I'm not familiar with this suspension and this doesn't seem to make sense as most suspensions would expand once the weight was removed from the spring.
Any ideas???
It is unlikely that the fork tubes jammed as there is not much inside them. Most likely something came apart inside the shock and locked the damper rod in the fully compressed position. Definitely wire the spring before taking it apart or otherwise ensure that the rod can’t release unexpectedly when your hand is in the way. That would make for a bad day.

At least the shock should be easy to get out in its fully compressed state.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #7 of 26 Old Sep 30th, 2019, 12:53 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolmaker View Post
Good morning,

Try loosening the axle pinch bolts to allow the sliders to realign. If you tightened a axle pinch bolt before tightening the axle the fork tubes will be closer together on the bottom than the top and will bind.

Good luck
Dave
Since that was the easiest I loosened them but there was no change

Next is to loosen the nut on top of the shock and see what happens
post #8 of 26 Old Sep 30th, 2019, 1:08 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddleman View Post
A valve has moved inside the shock. You will have to ratchet the front subframe down before you remove the top nut.
The from suspension is currently fully collapsed the opposite of fully extended.
My guess is as I unscrew the top bolt the suspension will lower down.
Worried about the shock opening up on me when I'm in there though. Have to strap it down or something.
post #9 of 26 Old Sep 30th, 2019, 3:26 pm

Quote:
The from suspension is currently fully collapsed the opposite of fully extended.
My guess is as I unscrew the top bolt the suspension will lower down.
Worried about the shock opening up on me when I'm in there though. Have to strap it down or something.
Just to make sure that the ball joint didn't break, have a look and see that it is still intact. #13.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ball Joint.png
Views:	40
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	154523  

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI – Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT – Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

post #10 of 26 Old Oct 1st, 2019, 10:23 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwcoolk1200 View Post
Just to make sure that the ball joint didn't break, have a look and see that it is still intact. #13.
That will not keep the front collapsed when the front wheel is off the ground. My vote is a valve failed in the shock jamming it in the collapsed position.
Voyager likes this.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #11 of 26 Old Oct 2nd, 2019, 12:28 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler View Post
That will not keep the front collapsed when the front wheel is off the ground. My vote is a valve failed in the shock jamming it in the collapsed position.
I don't know the enough about the inner workings of a shock, but I suspect that you are correct. As I was unwinding the nut at the top of the shock it started to lower the suspension. I was able to remove the shock without it unloading on me and I'm taking it back to my suspension guy on Thursday, so I'll post an update when I know what went wrong. But I'm guessing you are correct.
Patric, beech and bmwcoolk1200 like this.
post #12 of 26 Old Oct 3rd, 2019, 5:24 pm

I think I would be handling it like it was a live grenade with the pin pulled! Yikes!
Voyager and MH-King like this.

2000 K1200LT-C "Tsukune"
2013 Honda NC700X "Moka"

Kirk Johnson

President of

post #13 of 26 Old Oct 3rd, 2019, 5:53 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14wntr View Post
I think I would be handling it like it was a live grenade with the pin pulled! Yikes!
Guys,

These things are like McPherson struts on a car. They're self-contained. You put the top threaded shaft into the bikes orifice, then, with the suspension extended, put the bottom into it's hole. Tighten it up appropriately and it's good to go.

Removing is the opposite. You don't have to free the spring to get the shock/spring assembly out. For this reason, what the OP is doing should not be dangerous. The danger is when the tech dismantles the strut. They know all about dealing with that.

'17 R1200RTLC: Cobalt Black; V1; Sargent; Aeroflow Tall; Fused battery tap on right side of the bike to run a switched air pump; another for heated gear; the fancy BMW tool-kit; Tire repair stuff; Fuel siphon; Duct Tape!!

'00 Aprilia RSV Mille R: CPU wire cut; Wolf Chip; Evolution air filter; Leo Vinci CF 2 into 1 exhaust; CycleCat adjustable bars, small tank bag, BMW outlet for charging the battery with Battery Tender... Bellissimo!
post #14 of 26 Old Oct 3rd, 2019, 7:11 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtwiz View Post
Guys,

These things are like McPherson struts on a car. They're self-contained. You put the top threaded shaft into the bikes orifice, then, with the suspension extended, put the bottom into it's hole. Tighten it up appropriately and it's good to go.

Removing is the opposite. You don't have to free the spring to get the shock/spring assembly out. For this reason, what the OP is doing should not be dangerous. The danger is when the tech dismantles the strut. They know all about dealing with that.

Read it again. You completely failed to understand the situation with the OP’s shock.
bmwcoolk1200 likes this.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #15 of 26 Old Oct 4th, 2019, 2:04 pm Thread Starter

Well trust me I put on leather gloves and chose to handle it like a live hand grenade.
It came out still collapsed and I proceeded to take it over to the shock guy yesterday.
It never unloaded on me.
I'll let you know what he says happened when he gets back to me.
I'm going with the shim theory but it seems weird.
Patric and goes2fast like this.
post #16 of 26 Old Oct 5th, 2019, 1:55 am Thread Starter

OK shock is apart and the problem was the internal rubber bumper. It got Jammed between the piston and the body.
New internal and external bumper on order.
post #17 of 26 Old Oct 6th, 2019, 10:16 am

Garage

Quote:
OK shock is apart and the problem was the internal rubber bumper. It got Jammed between the piston and the body.
If these were new, shouldn't they be warrantied?

Too much HORSEPOWER is almost enough!
post #18 of 26 Old Oct 6th, 2019, 11:13 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by goes2fast View Post
If these were new, shouldn't they be warrantied?
"So I picked up a used set of Ohlins and had them rebuilt and recently installed them in the LT."

Not new but newly rebuilt so I am pretty sure the rebuilder is taking care of this and ordered the internal parts.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #19 of 26 Old Oct 6th, 2019, 11:59 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
I have to admit that I am surprised that a rubber bumper could jam with enough force to withstand the force of a fully compressed spring. That must be several hundreds pounds of force.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #20 of 26 Old Oct 7th, 2019, 9:17 am

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
I have to admit that I am surprised that a rubber bumper could jam with enough force to withstand the force of a fully compressed spring. That must be several hundreds pounds of force.
Exactly what I was thinking.

Too much HORSEPOWER is almost enough!
post #21 of 26 Old Oct 8th, 2019, 9:20 am

Quote:
I know it doesn't make much sense. But my suspension knowledge is more telescopic forks vs Paralevel suspension.
Televeler.....

Paralever
is for the dual arm (swingarm + secondary arm attach to the ear of the final drive and the bottom of the bike frame), dual join rear suspension

in any case is weird since in most cases the Spring holds the bike suspension to length, and the internals control the rebound and damping..
post #22 of 26 Old Oct 8th, 2019, 11:47 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardo Kuhn View Post
Televeler.....

Paralever
is for the dual arm (swingarm + secondary arm attach to the ear of the final drive and the bottom of the bike frame), dual join rear suspension

in any case is weird since in most cases the Spring holds the bike suspension to length, and the internals control the rebound and damping..
One more time: Telelever.

I am not sure what you mean by the spring holds the bike suspension to length. In vehicles with combined spring and shock units (our LTs, MacPherson strut cars, etc.), the length of the shock unit is set by the damper as the spring is almost always under compression and the damper at full extension sets the length of the unit. So, the damper is not only doing damper duty, but it also holds the spring to a set maximum extension.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #23 of 26 Old Yesterday, 8:12 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler View Post
"So I picked up a used set of Ohlins and had them rebuilt and recently installed them in the LT."

Not new but newly rebuilt so I am pretty sure the rebuilder is taking care of this and ordered the internal parts.
Correct. This shock design has not been changed since the 80's and he has never seen this happen before. Phil ordered new upper and lower rubber, installed, dynoed it and it is now on it's way back to my garage. All under warranty. Currently traveling for work but she should be back together and riding by the end of next week
Patric likes this.
post #24 of 26 Old Today, 4:41 am

Glad you got this figured out. That had to be frightening taking the shock back off!
I just replaced my front Ohlins also. I got the bike with just under 85,000 miles and the front was like a porpoise. The main shaft of the shock was bad and was going to cost almost as much as just getting a new shock.
This post had me a little concerned as this is my first experience with the telelever suspension. The previous owner must have hit some whopper of a pothole as the front shock was blown and the front wheel had a pretty good dent in it. The wheel shop that repaired the wheel was surprised how bad it was. They said the LT wheels are very heavy duty and it takes a lot to dent them.
post #25 of 26 Old Today, 7:47 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
One more time: Telelever.

I am not sure what you mean by the spring holds the bike suspension to length. In vehicles with combined spring and shock units (our LTs, MacPherson strut cars, etc.), the length of the shock unit is set by the damper as the spring is almost always under compression and the damper at full extension sets the length of the unit. So, the damper is not only doing damper duty, but it also holds the spring to a set maximum extension.

Sure Suspensions are far more complicated that just the Spring, but try to ride with out and let see how far you get...
post #26 of 26 Old Today, 9:02 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardo Kuhn View Post
Sure Suspensions are far more complicated that just the Spring, but try to ride with out and let see how far you get...
True, but this is non sequitur to the topic at hand.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in