High Performance Clutch for the old LT...!?!? - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 5Likes
  • 1 Post By ebiss9
  • 1 Post By jzeiler
  • 3 Post By ErnieA
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Sep 22nd, 2019, 3:37 am Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 70
High Performance Clutch for the old LT...!?!?

First of all I had a horrible experience with a Touratch ceramic clutch so I'm a little hesitant to try anything different that OEM Sachs

But reading around I stumble into this RB Racing

Any feedback on their products...??

I'm looking for Ultimate performance in this case but not for "Racing" simply because from time to time the best maneuver is to "Get out of the way" and you can not do that if your clutch is kind of slippery (mine is)

I don't mind doing the work, I want to replace the seals anyway as a preventive measure so may as well install a new clutch, even better if it works better than the stock one
Ricardo Kuhn is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 Old Sep 22nd, 2019, 6:10 am
Lifetime Supporter
 
ebiss9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Vineland, NJ, USA
Posts: 176
Garage
Re: High Performance Clutch for the old LT...!?!?

I’m not sure what’s up with that vendor! When I tried to contact them twice about questions for some of their products I never received a reply. So I ended up getting a Siebenrock clutch disk for my 2006 LT.
Ricardo Kuhn likes this.

Rob Sprague
Vineland, NJ
2009 BMW R1200RT Metallic Black
2006 BMW K1200LT/2012 Hannigan Trike Magnesium Black
2004 BMW K1200GT Orient Blue

"Money talks...but all mine ever says is good-bye."

"We, the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts
not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert
the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
ebiss9 is offline  
post #3 of 13 Old Sep 22nd, 2019, 7:32 am
Senior Member
 
bmwcoolk1200's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 3,952
Re: High Performance Clutch for the old LT...!?!?

Never used the Tourach or heard of anyone I know using it. Most are using the Siebenrock better than stock or OEM disk and OEM plate/spring parts. The LT clutch is not a very " strong" clutch as in if you are sliping it, it will not grab under heavy throttle if you let it all the way out but if you get it all the way out to where it stops slipping before trying to get full throttle, you can roll on all the throttle you need and it will not break loose. Being a dry clutch and a heavy bike, you can wear it out pretty quickly treating it like a wet clutch and slipping it a lot. Yeah, there are times you may have to but it will eventually take its toll if doing it excessively.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI – Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT – Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bmwcoolk1200 is online now  
 
post #4 of 13 Old Sep 22nd, 2019, 8:21 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire
 
jzeiler's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Hazel Green, AL, USA
Posts: 13,218
Re: High Performance Clutch for the old LT...!?!?

RB Racing is vaporware. Been following them for 10 years and NO Product yet.

But if your clutch is slipping when you roll on the throttle it is shot and needs to be replaced. I have had very good performance from the Siebenrock "better than stock" unit in several LT clutch jobs. The best way to preserve the LT clutch is never exceed 1,800 RPM when launching until the clutch is fully engaged. An occasional 2,400 RPM launch will not kill it but it could heat it up to the point where it will continue to slip until it cools down.
sailor likes this.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jzeiler is online now  
post #5 of 13 Old Sep 22nd, 2019, 8:25 am Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 70
Re: High Performance Clutch for the old LT...!?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwcoolk1200 View Post
Never used the Tourach or heard of anyone I know using it. Most are using the Siebenrock better than stock or OEM disk and OEM plate/spring parts. The LT clutch is not a very " strong" clutch as in if you are sliping it, it will not grab under heavy throttle if you let it all the way out but if you get it all the way out to where it stops slipping before trying to get full throttle, you can roll on all the throttle you need and it will not break loose. Being a dry clutch and a heavy bike, you can wear it out pretty quickly treating it like a wet clutch and slipping it a lot. Yeah, there are times you may have to but it will eventually take its toll if doing it excessively.
I have tons of miles on Boxer with the same clutch lay out..

I got the bike with 75.000 miles and yes the clutch is slipping when on 5th and try a "drastic" throttle maneuver..

I just think is time for a update..
Ricardo Kuhn is offline  
post #6 of 13 Old Sep 22nd, 2019, 8:42 am
Senior Member
 
bmwcoolk1200's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 3,952
Re: High Performance Clutch for the old LT...!?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardo Kuhn View Post
I have tons of miles on Boxer with the same clutch lay out..

I got the bike with 75.000 miles and yes the clutch is slipping when on 5th and try a "drastic" throttle maneuver..

I just think is time for a update..
I agree if it is slipping under a full roll on. Not sure if any one is better than another in the aspect of performance. Stronger springs means more stress on the slave cylinder and embedded bearing which is a known area of concern if it leaks and subsequent clutch contamination and it needs to all be of the correct overall thickness for the pushrod to be in the right position. I am using the Siebenrock oil proof and it seems very good to me. No idea how it will wear but I try and take care of it with under 1800rpm starts making sure it is all the way out before I slam on the gas. If yours is already slipping, then you have worn it out or you have one of the areas of contamination affecting it.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI – Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT – Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bmwcoolk1200 is online now  
post #7 of 13 Old Sep 22nd, 2019, 9:28 am Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 70
Re: High Performance Clutch for the old LT...!?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwcoolk1200 View Post
I agree if it is slipping under a full roll on. Not sure if any one is better than another in the aspect of performance. Stronger springs means more stress on the slave cylinder and embedded bearing which is a known area of concern if it leaks and subsequent clutch contamination and it needs to all be of the correct overall thickness for the pushrod to be in the right position. I am using the Siebenrock oil proof and it seems very good to me. No idea how it will wear but I try and take care of it with under 1800rpm starts making sure it is all the way out before I slam on the gas. If yours is already slipping, then you have worn it out or you have one of the areas of contamination affecting it.
Thank you, great compendium..

I plan to tear down the whole bike (In time, winter will be here soon in minnesota) and blue print the whole thing, including all the seals and drilling the drain hole and implement all the tricks you guys know..

and if I need to drop the tranny down (I don't think I have too) in a year to fix the slave cylinder again I be okay with that too
Ricardo Kuhn is offline  
post #8 of 13 Old Sep 22nd, 2019, 3:15 pm
Lifetime Supporter
 
ErnieA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Milwaukie, OR, USA
Posts: 2,334
Re: High Performance Clutch for the old LT...!?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler View Post
RB Racing is vaporware. Been following them for 10 years and NO Product yet.

But if your clutch is slipping when you roll on the throttle it is shot and needs to be replaced. I have had very good performance from the Siebenrock "better than stock" unit in several LT clutch jobs. The best way to preserve the LT clutch is never exceed 1,800 RPM when launching until the clutch is fully engaged. An occasional 2,400 RPM launch will not kill it but it could heat it up to the point where it will continue to slip until it cools down.
You're right on all accounts John. The owner of RB is into HD drag racing and salt flat racing development. They also still supply turbo (mostly for V-twin) kit parts, but they never came through on the clutch for the LT. I've only burned 1 clutch myself, and that was by doing just as you said. It was my first dry clutch bike and learned the hard way how to take care of it. The stock clutch, when operated/installed correctly works just fine.
sailor, saddleman and bmwcoolk1200 like this.

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR
Member: MOA, AMA, IBA, NRA, MERA
GS911 & GS911 Wifi - Diagnostics Tools Available
2012 K16GTL (3/2018 to present) 68k (Totaled! 8/11/19 Deer strike)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2013 R1200GSW
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
> 28k miles!
2002 K12LT Toscana Green - > 241k miles (Sold)
2006 Suzuki DL1000 V Strom Silver/Blk - >21k (Sold)
SS1K (x4),BB,BtoB(<24),BBG, SS3k


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ErnieA is offline  
post #9 of 13 Old Sep 22nd, 2019, 5:47 pm
Senior Member
 
fatbob307's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardo Kuhn View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwcoolk1200 View Post
I agree if it is slipping under a full roll on. Not sure if any one is better than another in the aspect of performance. Stronger springs means more stress on the slave cylinder and embedded bearing which is a known area of concern if it leaks and subsequent clutch contamination and it needs to all be of the correct overall thickness for the pushrod to be in the right position. I am using the Siebenrock oil proof and it seems very good to me. No idea how it will wear but I try and take care of it with under 1800rpm starts making sure it is all the way out before I slam on the gas. If yours is already slipping, then you have worn it out or you have one of the areas of contamination affecting it.
Thank you, great compendium..

I plan to tear down the whole bike (In time, winter will be here soon in minnesota) and blue print the whole thing, including all the seals and drilling the drain hole and implement all the tricks you guys know..

and if I need to drop the tranny down (I don't think I have too) in a year to fix the slave cylinder again I be okay with that too
Replace the slave cylinder now, that’s probably leaking causing your clutch contamination & slipping.

Bob Lower
Casper, WY

'01 K1200LT
'03 R1150 RT
'13 R1200GS
'79 R100T w/Hack
'10 Triumph Thunderbird
'09 Triumph Bonneville
'07 Guzzi Norge
'88 HD FLHS
fatbob307 is offline  
post #10 of 13 Old Sep 22nd, 2019, 8:37 pm
Senior Member
 
bmwcoolk1200's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 3,952
Re: High Performance Clutch for the old LT...!?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbob307 View Post
Replace the slave cylinder now, that’s probably leaking causing your clutch contamination & slipping.
Possibly but you won't know the cause till you get in and look. Some people actually do wear them out

Replacing the slave with the clutch is never a bad idea though.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI – Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT – Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bmwcoolk1200 is online now  
post #11 of 13 Old Sep 22nd, 2019, 8:40 pm Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 70
Re: High Performance Clutch for the old LT...!?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbob307 View Post
Replace the slave cylinder now, that’s probably leaking causing your clutch contamination & slipping.
Smart tip..

but then how do i cleanse the clutch of any contaminants...!?!?

just drilling the bottom is not going to help

Ps:I did about 200 miles today and for sure is getting slippery, 110 mph max and will not go a mile higher..
Ricardo Kuhn is offline  
post #12 of 13 Old Sep 22nd, 2019, 9:05 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire
 
jzeiler's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Hazel Green, AL, USA
Posts: 13,218
Re: High Performance Clutch for the old LT...!?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardo Kuhn View Post
Smart tip..

but then how do i cleanse the clutch of any contaminants...!?!?

just drilling the bottom is not going to help

Ps:I did about 200 miles today and for sure is getting slippery, 110 mph max and will not go a mile higher..
Some have claimed to drill side holes as well and spray the crap out of the clutch area with brake clean then put the front wheel up against the wall and burn the hell out of it. I don't recommend it but it has worked for a few. You still need figure out where the contamination is coming from or it will just keep happening.

The LT reaches its power to air resistance limit at around 120 mph so don't feel bad.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jzeiler is online now  
post #13 of 13 Old Sep 22nd, 2019, 9:16 pm Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 70
Re: High Performance Clutch for the old LT...!?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler View Post
Some have claimed to drill side holes as well and spray the crap out of the clutch area with brake clean then put the front wheel up against the wall and burn the hell out of it. I don't recommend it but it has worked for a few. You still need figure out where the contamination is coming from or it will just keep happening.
I guess I'm one of those that prefer to do the work from the Inside out..

I deal with enough bicycle disc brake pads that get contaminated just by touching them with your fingers..

Beside the bike has sufficient mileage to justified the work, plus I got it so cheap, is not even the money factor but the amount of time it takes..

on my old GS it took me like four hours to replace the first clutch (No ABS, so much easier) after replacing seven on the same bike (5th and 6th, i was a dummy and did not check the flywheel so they wore out really fast, stupid Ricky..

My record 42 something minutes, i didn't even take the rear wheel the last few times, much easier to move around too.

Quote:

The LT reaches its power to air resistance limit at around 120 mph so don't feel bad.
Tell me about it, that poor engine is pushing something as big as a ping pong table..
Ricardo Kuhn is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome