• 2 Post By jzeiler
  • 1 Post By jzeiler
  • 1 Post By Voyager
  • 3 Post By alabrew
  • 1 Post By Voyager

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 Old Sep 19th, 2019, 11:48 am Thread Starter

Performance exhaust

I have been searching in vain for a performance exhaust for my 2007 k1200lt. I’ve tried Remus, two brothers, supertrapp, staintune.....nothing! I did see a two brothers off an 03 list d on eBay. Can’t find any specs on it. Two brothers doesn’t respond. Would it even add much horsepower? Please help. Eddie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old Sep 19th, 2019, 12:34 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Garage
Re: Performance exhaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fclef53 View Post
I have been searching in vain for a performance exhaust for my 2007 k1200lt. I’ve tried Remus, two brothers, supertrapp, staintune.....nothing! I did see a two brothers off an 03 list d on eBay. Can’t find any specs on it. Two brothers doesn’t respond. Would it even add much horsepower? Please help. Eddie
Hi Eddie--it saves a lot of weight... and gives easy access to the trans fluid drain plug, too! HP? I dunno. I bought it and feel it is worth its weight savings alone! Oops! I see it has been discontinued in 2018. Hmmm... call the Pirate and ask...

Custom, Aftermarket, and Performance Accessories for the Worlds Greatest Touring Motorcycle... the BMW K1200LT

Bob
Covina, CA
2000 K1200LTI Champagne

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 31 Old Sep 19th, 2019, 2:58 pm

Don't waste your Time with Two brother, they have been a "Has been" company from the a has been times with Erion racing a quarter of a century ago....

Their pipes vomit fiberglass like Elmer the Cat spew feathers..

post #4 of 31 Old Sep 20th, 2019, 2:33 am

Garage
Maybe try Black Hole if there is anything available: https://www.rbracing-rsr.com/blackho...0exhausts.html
post #5 of 31 Old Sep 22nd, 2019, 3:33 pm

It is rare that aftermarket aftermarket exhaust increases HP all by it self. Of course some do but not much. Your gain will be weight loss and size. Do not toss your stock exhaust. You may need it one day. LT bikes are not a hot exhaust market item and now out of production for ten years, all the more of a vintage bike. Personally I find the LT series and the RT series stock systems part of the charm of the bikes.
Voyager and bmwcoolk1200 like this.

Beech
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I change your tires $50, you buy them on the web.
K13S, S1000R (gone through a few GS's & RT's)
post #6 of 31 Old Sep 22nd, 2019, 6:30 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by beech View Post
It is rare that aftermarket aftermarket exhaust increases HP all by it self. Of course some do but not much. Your gain will be weight loss and size. Do not toss your stock exhaust. You may need it one day. LT bikes are not a hot exhaust market item and now out of production for ten years, all the more of a vintage bike. Personally I find the LT series and the RT series stock systems part of the charm of the bikes.
I chuckle at discussions about performance exhausts for touring bikes and big bore kits for V-twin cruisers. To me, it is all lipstick on a pig. If you want performance, buy a performance bike. If you want a slow, noisy, cruiser, buy one. Trying to make a touring bike or a cruiser into a performance bike is simply funny to me. To each their own, I just find it amusing.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #7 of 31 Old Sep 27th, 2019, 2:37 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by beech View Post
I chuckle at discussions about performance exhausts for touring bikes and big bore kits for V-twin cruisers. To me, it is all lipstick on a pig. If you want performance, buy a performance bike. If you want a slow, noisy, cruiser, buy one. Trying to make a touring bike or a cruiser into a performance bike is simply funny to me. To each their own, I just find it amusing.
Glad you're amused. If the sole benefit was loud pipes, I'd be critical too.

But the benefit from sugnificant, down-low weight loss us too juicy to not consider. A big bike that already handles exceptionally for it's size would provide even more joy with enhanced transitional handling, don't you think?

And so whisper quiet (relatively speaking), a bit of snarl could help to offset those tinges of BOE (BMW Owner Entitlement) that always seem to ooze into a rider's psyche when ego steps up for a breath.
post #8 of 31 Old Sep 28th, 2019, 8:26 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motech View Post
Glad you're amused. If the sole benefit was loud pipes, I'd be critical too.

But the benefit from sugnificant, down-low weight loss us too juicy to not consider. A big bike that already handles exceptionally for it's size would provide even more joy with enhanced transitional handling, don't you think?

And so whisper quiet (relatively speaking), a bit of snarl could help to offset those tinges of BOE (BMW Owner Entitlement) that always seem to ooze into a rider's psyche when ego steps up for a breath.
Well, the weigh loss is minimal compared to the weight of an LT and losing weight down low has the least impact on handling. I am not critical, just amused.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #9 of 31 Old Oct 4th, 2019, 1:50 am

Garage

Quote:
Well, the weigh loss is minimal compared to the weight of an LT and losing weight down low has the least impact on handling. I am not critical, just amused.
How do you feel about a 4mpg increase? One reviewer got that after installing the Blackhole system.

Too much HORSEPOWER is almost enough!
post #10 of 31 Old Oct 4th, 2019, 7:48 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by goes2fast View Post
How do you feel about a 4mpg increase? One reviewer got that after installing the Blackhole system.
The important thing there would be what was the ending mpg compared to what everyone else gets normally. Replacing a bad O2 sensor on an LT could easily get you that much of an increase or more.
Ricardo Kuhn likes this.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

post #11 of 31 Old Oct 4th, 2019, 4:32 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Riding above 4,000 feet will get you that as well as just slowing down to less than 85.
beech and bmwcoolk1200 like this.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #12 of 31 Old Oct 4th, 2019, 6:25 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Id love a real 4 MPG increase. I dont know what the Blackhole system is so I cant comment on its likelihood in giving a 4 MPG increase, but I am extremely skeptical and would have to see the data.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #13 of 31 Old Oct 5th, 2019, 12:33 am

Garage

Quote:
Id love a real 4 MPG increase. I dont know what the Blackhole system is so I cant comment on its likelihood in giving a 4 MPG increase, but I am extremely skeptical and would have to see the data.
All you have to do is google it and read the reviews.

post #14 of 31 Old Oct 5th, 2019, 6:55 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
I did. I found no test data that showed a bona ride 4 mpg increase. Internet reviews are not data.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #15 of 31 Old Oct 5th, 2019, 3:58 pm

Quote:
Can you tell us what MPG this person ended up with after that +4 mod. That is the only thing that is really important as that is something we can quantify against our own bikes of the same kind.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #16 of 31 Old Oct 5th, 2019, 7:58 pm

Garage

Quote:
I did. I found no test data that showed a bona ride 4 mpg increase. Internet reviews are not data.
So I guess I shouldn't believe any statements you make unless you post detailed test data to support? It's a review and I would think he got better mileage or he wouldn't have made the statement. If I take the time to review a product I have purchased I try to be accurate with my statements good or bad. I have gained fuel economy with performance exhaust systems on my cars and trucks so I would think a Motorcycle would be the same.

post #17 of 31 Old Oct 5th, 2019, 11:22 pm

Quote:
So I guess I shouldn't believe any statements you make unless you post detailed test data to support? It's a review and I would think he got better mileage or he wouldn't have made the statement. If I take the time to review a product I have purchased I try to be accurate with my statements good or bad. I have gained fuel economy with performance exhaust systems on my cars and trucks so I would think a Motorcycle would be the same.
Do you personally know anyone who has used this Blackhole system on an LT all or in part which includes in full, a new fuel rail, injectors and a new fuel pressure regulator along with the exhaust or are you simply referring to the report on the Blackhole site of improved mileage by one guy? The site seems to stress " real world" results over data so do you personally have any first or second hand for this product? It is fairly pricey to get all the pieces and put it on a heavy touring bike that is no longer made. 46MPG ( from their site) is not outside what I have heard reported from many on this site with no such mods. I think Matt actually got 48 at one point on his Alaska trip, loaded and 2 up. He will correct me if I read that wrong from his ride report and that is simply expected protocol. My mileage varies from 38 to 45 tank to tank based on what I am able to put in it, brand, octane and ethanol content and how and where I am riding. If you had actual knowledge and it put him over 50, you would have my attention but you haven't provided any such information yet. Not trying to be argumentative but this is the first time I have heard of Blackhole and I already have a compressor.

BTW, as far as lipstick on a pig goes, I have a Remus exhaust and a remapped chip on mine so I am at least interested.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

Last edited by bmwcoolk1200; Oct 6th, 2019 at 6:04 am.
post #18 of 31 Old Oct 6th, 2019, 12:21 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwcoolk1200 View Post
Do you personally know anyone who has used this Blackhole system on an LT all or in part which includes in full, a new fuel rail, injectors and a new fuel pressure regulator along with the exhaust or are you simply referring to the report on the Blackhole site of improved mileage by one guy? The site seems to stress " real world" results over data so do you personally have any first or second hand for this product? It is fairly pricey to get all the pieces and put it on a heavy touring bike that is no longer made. 46MPG ( from their site) is not outside what I have heard reported from many on this site with no such mods. I think Matt actually got 48 at one point on his Alaska trip, loaded and 2 up. He will correct me if I read that wrong from his ride report and that is simply expected protocol. My mileage varies from 38 to 45 tank to tank based on what I am able to put in it, brand, octane and ethanol content and how and where I am riding. If you had actual knowledge and it put him over 50, you would have my attention but you haven't provided any such information yet. Not trying to be argumentative but this is the first time I have heard of Blackhole and I already have a compressor.

BTW, as far as lipstick on a pig goes, I have a Remus exhaust and a remapped chip on mine so I am at least interested.
There are posted dyno results showing the horsepower increase since the manufacturer is mostly interested in racing mods. The customer review states he was happy and surprised at the mileage going from 42.7 mpg at 65 mph to 46.1 mpg at 65 mph on cruise control so I'm thinking the chances are anyone could see a fuel economy gain and that was just the exhaust system alone no injectors or fuel rail those are only needed if you want more horsepower. Since Remus no longer makes anything for the K1200 this is the only game in town and looks to be a quality product. For anyone looking to improve performance and fuel economy, I think it would be worth looking into further. I may do some more research myself after I have my bike a little longer and get to know it better.

post #19 of 31 Old Oct 7th, 2019, 1:38 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Just a note all those comments on the site for the one LT where posted before 2005 because I read them then ( I got my LT in June of 04 ) and they talk of 11.5:1 pistons that carry it near the RS ratio. I have never see anyone post here (or other forums) that they received any RB racing item (clutches or exhaust) for the LT in the last 16 years so if you can get one I will eat crow, but as I have said in other posts RB Racing is vaporware.

The 05 + LTs all have RS pistons already and crank out 115 HP compared to the old LT which was only 99 hp. Also 42.7 MPG on a pre 05 was very low mileage most owners of the pre 05 reported 50 to 53 MPG on average. This is based on my observations of the LT over the last 16 years.
meese likes this.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #20 of 31 Old Oct 7th, 2019, 9:04 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:

Since you called me out...

Here are the last few tanks from my Alaska trip as well as the summary block for the trip. Showing more of the spreadsheet would make it too small to read, and it may be hard enough to read already. However, I am including my graph which shows every tank since the LT was new as well as both a 5 tank boxcar average and a "to date" average of all tanks to date. This is the most telling as it shows why many claims of MPG gains are completely erroneous.

I often have tank to tank changes of more than 5 MPG. And this is with no changes to the bike, just changes in weather, roads, etc. If I made a change to my LT and simply compared the tank before the change to the tank after the change, I could easily say that the change caused a 5 MPG increase or a 5 MPG decrease depending on the circumstances. Even when I was commuting to work on the same route each day and buying gas at the same station each time, I still often had 2-3 MPG differences from one tank to the next. These data are why I am always very skeptical of MPG claims unless I see a fair bit of data. I think at a minimum you need to average 5 tanks before and after any change before drawing any conclusions. And even that could still have 1-2 MPG in variation as you can see from my graph of the 5 tank averages. My long term average is just shy of 47 MPG over 12 years and now nearly 85,000 miles.

Both of the really low tanks on the graph (not counting the early tanks during break-in) were riding across the upper Midwest into 30+ MPH headwinds at legal speeds of 80 MPH in cool weather (50s). That really saps the mileage and gets me close to 30 MPG. Most of the tanks above 50 MPG involved speeds of 60 MPH or less and/or a stiff tailwind.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LT MPG.JPG
Views:	11
Size:	164.0 KB
ID:	154591   Click image for larger version

Name:	LT MPG graph.JPG
Views:	11
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	154593  

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #21 of 31 Old Oct 7th, 2019, 9:39 pm

Quote:
Since you called me out...

Here are the last few tanks from my Alaska trip as well as the summary block for the trip. Showing more of the spreadsheet would make it too small to read, and it may be hard enough to read already. However, I am including my graph which shows every tank since the LT was new as well as both a 5 tank boxcar average and a "to date" average of all tanks to date. This is the most telling as it shows why many claims of MPG gains are completely erroneous.

I often have tank to tank changes of more than 5 MPG. And this is with no changes to the bike, just changes in weather, roads, etc. If I made a change to my LT and simply compared the tank before the change to the tank after the change, I could easily say that the change caused a 5 MPG increase or a 5 MPG decrease depending on the circumstances. Even when I was commuting to work on the same route each day and buying gas at the same station each time, I still often had 2-3 MPG differences from one tank to the next. These data are why I am always very skeptical of MPG claims unless I see a fair bit of data. I think at a minimum you need to average 5 tanks before and after any change before drawing any conclusions. And even that could still have 1-2 MPG in variation as you can see from my graph of the 5 tank averages. My long term average is just shy of 47 MPG over 12 years and now nearly 85,000 miles.

Both of the really low tanks on the graph (not counting the early tanks during break-in) were riding across the upper Midwest into 30+ MPH headwinds at legal speeds of 80 MPH in cool weather (50s). That really saps the mileage and gets me close to 30 MPG. Most of the tanks above 50 MPG involved speeds of 60 MPH or less and/or a stiff tailwind.
I have always gotten a few MPG less than you and that is odd as I have the 99hp version to your 115hp version. I don't know why unless I have a timing issue. I always run high test even though I can probably get by with less. After the SMFR and as winter sets in, I am going to pull the front cover and replace the chain guides including the chain tensioner which I think is gummed up as I did not get the same results as you and John with the holding pin " turns one way but not the other" so my guess is it is gummed up. I will check the timing then and adjust as necessary. That might be some of the noise I have that others don't.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #22 of 31 Old Oct 8th, 2019, 7:13 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
I have always gotten a few MPG less than you and that is odd as I have the 99hp version to your 115hp version. I don't know why unless I have a timing issue. I always run high test even though I can probably get by with less. After the SMFR and as winter sets in, I am going to pull the front cover and replace the chain guides including the chain tensioner which I think is gummed up as I did not get the same results as you and John with the holding pin " turns one way but not the other" so my guess is it is gummed up. I will check the timing then and adjust as necessary. That might be some of the noise I have that others don't.
It certainly could be something like that. It could also be riding style. I generally ride at or below the posted speed limit and rarely do full throttle starts as Linda is with me often so I take it easier. When I read road tests of bikes, the mileage they obtain is always WAY less than I get on the same bike. I am sure that is due to riding style. Those testers must make every start a WOT event to redline in every gear and then cruise at 15 over the speed limit. I have to work hard to get either of my bikes down to what the road testers “averaged.”

I know the LT drops off fast with speed. If I cruise 70 rather than 55, I will go from 50+ MPG to 40-42. Add in a headwind of any degree, and I will be into the upper 30s. Ride 80 into a 30 headwind and I can get close to the upper 20s. So, a little extra speed really eats the fuel. It is that old velocity squared drag term that gets us. So, if you cruise even 5 MPH faster than me on a regular basis, you could easily lose a couple MPG. Also, I live in a very rural area so I rarely have to wait for a stop light or ride in any amount of traffic. My riding is probably 90% highway and 10% city and that also helps with fuel economy.

I also run high test, but on the LT that should have no measurable affect on MPG since out engines have no means to adapt to octane. A high compression engine will run more efficiently on high test as it will retard the timing on lower fuel grades and this can affect both power and efficiency.
goes2fast likes this.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #23 of 31 Old Oct 8th, 2019, 11:07 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
So, a little extra speed really eats the fuel. It is that old velocity squared drag term that gets us. So, if you cruise even 5 MPH faster than me on a regular basis, you could easily lose a couple MPG.
Agreed. Riding to my mother's 250 miles away, I can ride the speed limit and make it on one tank or I can speed and stop for gas.

Kim Thomson
Motorcycle Cigar Smoker
05 K1200LT - The Golden Rocket Ship
91 K100RS - The White Stallion
85 K100 Standard - Big Red
79 R65 - "The Bee" is a buzzin' again!
06 525i - Premium, Sport, Comfort, Xenons

Gone, but not forgotten...
02 K1200LTC - Big Blue (accident at 40k)
88 K100RT - Chocolate (it was brown, melted - fire)
85 K100RT - (wore out)
82 Yamaha Vision - (electrics)
72 Yamaha R5C 350 - (broke trans)

Last edited by alabrew; Oct 8th, 2019 at 11:33 am.
post #24 of 31 Old Oct 8th, 2019, 12:04 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler View Post
Just a note all those comments on the site for the one LT where posted before 2005 because I read them then ( I got my LT in June of 04 ) and they talk of 11.5:1 pistons that carry it near the RS ratio. I have never see anyone post here (or other forums) that they received any RB racing item (clutches or exhaust) for the LT in the last 16 years so if you can get one I will eat crow, but as I have said in other posts RB Racing is vaporware.

The 05 + LTs all have RS pistons already and crank out 115 HP compared to the old LT which was only 99 hp. Also 42.7 MPG on a pre 05 was very low mileage most owners of the pre 05 reported 50 to 53 MPG on average. This is based on my observations of the LT over the last 16 years.
So does that mean that you can't actually get any parts from them?

post #25 of 31 Old Oct 8th, 2019, 12:37 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
So does that mean that you can't actually get any parts from them?
I know of no one that has ever been able to get anything from them. I have not tried but you are welcome to and report back.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #26 of 31 Old Oct 9th, 2019, 12:22 am

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler View Post
I know of no one that has ever been able to get anything from them. I have not tried but you are welcome to and report back.
I checked them out on the Harley forums and mixed reviews some liked the product and some didn't but all said they were arrogant and slow to deliver. They said he was the "Soup Nazi" of the motorcycle parts world. If you ask when your exhaust system will be done too many times NO EXHAUST for you!

post #27 of 31 Old Oct 9th, 2019, 6:45 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
I checked them out on the Harley forums and mixed reviews some liked the product and some didn't but all said they were arrogant and slow to deliver. They said he was the "Soup Nazi" of the motorcycle parts world. If you ask when your exhaust system will be done too many times NO EXHAUST for you!
The difference is that the soup nazi actually HAD soup.
bmwcoolk1200 likes this.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #28 of 31 Old Oct 10th, 2019, 11:38 am

Garage

Quote:
The difference is that the soup nazi actually HAD soup.
Their site does say that they build to order but doesn't say it takes 3 to 6 months and that is if you don't email asking when they will be done.

post #29 of 31 Old Oct 10th, 2019, 6:39 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Their site does say that they build to order but doesn't say it takes 3 to 6 months and that is if you don't email asking when they will be done.
Except nobody we know of has every gotten anything from them. So, I still say they have no soup. Got to deliver at least one bowl to prove you can.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #30 of 31 Old Yesterday, 12:07 am

Garage

Quote:
Except nobody we know of has every gotten anything from them. So, I still say they have no soup. Got to deliver at least one bowl to prove you can.
Has anyone ordered a system from them?

post #31 of 31 Old Yesterday, 2:32 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

You would have to dig back into the OLD forum (circa 2005-07) to see the few that did try and we lost access to those posts when the owners sold the site.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in