• 2 Post By sailor
  • 2 Post By crazy frog
  • 1 Post By jzeiler
  • 1 Post By guitarjim
  • 1 Post By mr1150gs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old Sep 17th, 2019, 8:32 pm Thread Starter

Talking New member intro

As I just bought a K1200lt with a Hannigan sidecar and registered to this forum, I would like to introduce myself to the members.
First, my forum name is something that reflects my personality: I am French and crazy! (No need to enter into more details about this)
I am living in Halifax (Nova Scotia, Canada).

I am far from being a stranger to the K world as this is my 4th one. However, this is the first one with a 16 valves engine.
My current bikes are K75, K100rt, K100rt with an EML sidecar (Earles forks, dual swing arm, 15” car wheels are among the many improvements from the original K100). The new addition to the K farm is a 99 K1200lt. (Yes I have a disease called K-Pox)

I am the founder and administrator of the k100-forum.com which exists for 11 years.
The K100-forum primary purpose is technical help and friendship among K riders. It ties together a worldwide community of over 4,000 K bikes owners.

I have a pretty deep knowledge of the mechanical and electronics of the “2 valves” and wrote many technical articles about troubleshooting the K75/K100. You can have a glance at this website: kforum-tech.com
The K1200lt is something new to me but reading this forum and the shop manual leads me to believe that I can apply my knowledge of the 2 valves to the K12.

The biggest thing that I will have to learn is the electronics of the K12. I hope that I will be able to dig deep enough into the engineering to provide documents similar to the EFI troubleshooting (kforum-tech.com/electrical/EFI/bike-wont-start-EN.htm) or the color electrical diagrams by functions (kforum-tech.com/Downloads/electrical/diagrams/interactive_diagrams.htm). This will be a winter job when the snow will be flying.

The “new” K1200 should be in my possession by the end of the week. I briefly test rode the new rig and I am quite impressed with the ease of riding such a heavy bike.
I will have a 400kms ride to get it home and expect to have a grin on my face but also a sore bum (I am used to ride with a Russell seat)

I will be happy to participate to the conversations on this site.

Cheers to everybody.

C.F.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190916_140853.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	170.5 KB
ID:	154363  
sailor and bruincounselor like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old Sep 17th, 2019, 8:40 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Re: New member intro

Welcome aboard Bert your vast knowledge of the older K bikes will be very welcome here as several members have them as well. The K1200LT is a fantastic machine and I presume you know she is a parking lot pig, but turns into a sleek racer on the open road. Look forward to your posts in the future.
crazy frog likes this.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 Old Sep 17th, 2019, 8:49 pm Thread Starter

Thank you jzeiler.

I know about the bike being a parking pig, and I honestly wouldn't have chosen this model without the sidecar. The big + in comparison of the K100/EML rig is the reverse.
When people ask me if I have a reverse on the K100, I always reply YES, it's call wife, but it doesn't work anymore for many years.

post #4 of 16 Old Sep 17th, 2019, 11:04 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

Welcome Crazy Frog! Thanks for the details! Nice ride, too! Cheers!

Bob
Covina, CA
2000 K1200LTI Champagne

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 16 Old Sep 18th, 2019, 6:23 am

A warm welcome here from another Canadian, I have used many BMW forums during last 17 years and I can say this is the best - very friendly and can be very technical too if needed. No fights and no arguments here like you see in some other forums.

In the past, to help a friend having a K100, I have visited your other forum ( k100-forum.com) and found it to be very useful - thanks for your hard work.

No need to "re-invent the wheel" about the Motronic EFI and its sensors interface as this has already been done - just ask. For the rest of the complex electrics specific to K1200LT (including radios, reverse...), John Zeiler knows a lot more than me as my K1200RS does not have these gadgets... so I really do not get much practice on these.
Voyager and crazy frog like this.

-------------------------------------------------
John (Montreal, CANADA)
K1200RS (2002 IceBlue/Red - 96,000 miles)
-------------------------------------------------
Think twice before you hit [SUBMIT REPLY] - famous quote by another member:
"The value of this board is not founded on dismissing the ideas of others, but by posting to share our experiences and what we've learned from them."

Last edited by sailor; Sep 18th, 2019 at 6:29 am.
post #6 of 16 Old Sep 18th, 2019, 7:07 am

Garage

Welcome from Kennesaw GA!

2000 R1100RT
post #7 of 16 Old Sep 18th, 2019, 8:08 am
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy frog View Post

I am living in Halifax (Nova Scotia, Canada).
WELCOME!!!

You might be "CRAZY FROG" up there in Nova Scotia...but down here in my backyard...it's CRAZY FRAWG

Never declare a cherished memory as "the best day of my life"...it will forever diminish the possibility for "Tomorrow" being the "Best Day!"

post #8 of 16 Old Sep 18th, 2019, 8:14 am

Good morning Bert and welcome to the group. It's interesting that I sold a K100/EML sidecar to a gentleman from Nova Scotia back in 2012 and I'm pretty sure that gentleman might have been you. Taking a chance here 'cause you bought that rig sight unseen so I'm hopeful that you were/are happy with the machine. If not I'll have to run and hide! Anyway, if my guess is correct it just proves that the wonderful world of electronics truly does make this a small world. Either way, that new ride of yours is a good looking rig and I'm sure it will provide you with many miles of pleasurable travel. Lynn Keen

Lynn Keen
North East Florida
MSF #28271 Retired
'99 Canyon Red RETIRED AT 93,000 MI
'05 GRAPHITE METALLIC retired at 87,000 MI
'01 R1150 GS- totaled
'02 R1150 GS sold
'85 K100/EML sidecar sold
'11 R1200RT currently being enjoyed

post #9 of 16 Old Sep 18th, 2019, 8:44 am Thread Starter

Thumbs up Re: New member intro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn_Keen View Post
Good morning Bert and welcome to the group. It's interesting that I sold a K100/EML sidecar to a gentleman from Nova Scotia back in 2012 and I'm pretty sure that gentleman might have been you.
Well Lynn, YES this is me!
Nice to see you on this forum. What are you riding now?
The EML is still on the road and working well.
As the K farm will become overcrowded, I believe that soon, it will be for sale.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_mine [1280x768].JPG
Views:	28
Size:	251.0 KB
ID:	154365  
Patric and kbob12 like this.
post #10 of 16 Old Sep 18th, 2019, 9:09 am Thread Starter

Red face Re: New member intro

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
A warm welcome here from another Canadian, I have used many BMW forums during last 17 years and I can say this is the best - very friendly and can be very technical too if needed. No fights and no arguments here like you see in some other forums.
Hello Canuck!

I have the same feeling about forums where people argue and fight... unacceptable and not for me!
In 11 years of running the k100 forum, I had to intervene only twice, and my actions were extreme and radical: Life time ban.

A forum is a place where people learn and share. Even if somebody ask a basic question such as "Where is the sight glass to check the oil level", it has to be politely answered.
No question is stupid! If people ask, it's first because they don't know and second, they want to learn.

BTW, I will have a question about the sight glass and the oil level when the K12 is sitting straight. From what I have been reading about the K12lt, the oil level has to be checked when the bike is on the side stand. This is not practical for a side-bike (sorry, bike with a sidecar). I will have to find a solution....
post #11 of 16 Old Sep 18th, 2019, 9:23 am

Quote:
Well Lynn, YES this is me!
Nice to see you on this forum. What are you riding now?
The EML is still on the road and working well.
As the K farm will become overcrowded, I believe that soon, it will be for sale.

OH my, the old K looks beautiful! Thanks for the photo. Yea, I've been hanging around here ever since it started sometime back around '99 I think. That's when I bought my first LT. Been through several bikes since then and currently riding an '11 R1200RT. I've gotten a little older since we did business, turned 79 a few weeks ago and as the aches, pains and failings of old age are setting in I'm giving serious thought to another side hack! Either that or perhaps the more sensible thing and bite the bullet and give up the bike. Anyway, nice to hear from you and again, welcome t the Forum.

Lynn Keen
North East Florida
MSF #28271 Retired
'99 Canyon Red RETIRED AT 93,000 MI
'05 GRAPHITE METALLIC retired at 87,000 MI
'01 R1150 GS- totaled
'02 R1150 GS sold
'85 K100/EML sidecar sold
'11 R1200RT currently being enjoyed

post #12 of 16 Old Sep 18th, 2019, 4:14 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Hello Canuck!

BTW, I will have a question about the sight glass and the oil level when the K12 is sitting straight. From what I have been reading about the K12lt, the oil level has to be checked when the bike is on the side stand. This is not practical for a side-bike (sorry, bike with a sidecar). I will have to find a solution....
No that was listed in the owners manual for the very early bikes with side stand the oil will be at the bottom on center stand it will be at the top. Later the manual was updated to only check on center stand with in 5 minutes after shut down. The level just needs to be between the top and the bottom ring.
crazy frog likes this.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #13 of 16 Old Sep 18th, 2019, 11:29 pm

Welcome to forum.
crazy frog likes this.

Current Ride: '02 LT - The Mistress
post #14 of 16 Old Sep 19th, 2019, 11:00 am

Hey CF,

After just moving back to Ontario from Halifax, I wish I would have been able to meet sooner! You may be familiar with the BMWNS group so I may have already met you in those gatherings but I’m not familiar with your CF monocular.

Welcome to the forum and all of the good things it provides as many have already said.

Never hurts to find another excuse for a ride so, who knows, maybe a face to face will still be in store!

Always best regards,
Mauro
crazy frog likes this.

"If at first you don't succeed... well, so much for skydiving."

BMWMOA - #47511
2015 F700GS - For my better half whenever I'm not using it!
2007 K1200LT - Nice now!
2003 R1150GS -Black Beauty (sold)
2006 K1200LT - Blue Baby (sold)
2003 R1150GS - Yellowbird (sold)
1981 R100CS - Sadly gone
1991 K1100RS - Sold and burned
1986 K100RS - In the past
post #15 of 16 Old Sep 24th, 2019, 5:01 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr1150gs View Post
Hey CF,
You may be familiar with the BMWNS group so I may have already met you in those gatherings but I’m not familiar with your CF monocular.
Mauro,

Yes I know the BMWONS. In the past I have been president of the club (I believe this was around 2002).
However, I have not been a registered member for the last 7 years.

Cheers,

Bert
post #16 of 16 Old Sep 30th, 2019, 3:14 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Welcome from Zephyrhills FL. We had a '86 K100/EMLGT2 for 14 years , then sold it . We bought a new 2002 K1200LT and had Hannigan put a Astro 2+2 on it . That is our current rig now.

Patric Blackman
2002 K1200LT/Hannigan2+2
2010 R1200GSA ...1987 Helix...
AMA Charter Lifemember
37 Year Member of both BMWMOA & BMWRA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in