BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Trunk Latch/ lever

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Voyager 
#1 ·
2003 K1200 LT
After reading on here it seems I have come across the curse of the "rear trunk latch dogear". found out the upper left of the latch itself has snapped off.
I have found replacement latches or ppl who have made them but the threads are from 2006.
Since this seems to be a common problem does anyone know of a recent OEM or manufacturer that can handle the replacement - I dare not ask the dealership from some of your comments :kaboom:

regards

#2 ·
There was one industrious person who manufactured two kits. One was a fix it before it breaks and the other was a bilit aluminum machined replacement kit for those whose had already broken. He has since stopped making them as the need dropped off and he has exhausted his stock so we are left with buying an entire top case from the dealer as it is not spared separately or finding a used case or someone who is parting things out. No one else has undertaken the effort to make a replacement latch. I was lucky enough to get one of the last few as mine was broken when I got my bike.

#3 ·
Only thing to add about the replacement latch was the "before it breaks" was about $140, the "you didn't take my advice and you let it break anyway" repair kit was $400. The guy who made them put up with a lot of whining about the prices by people who figured the value of the raw metal, added $20 for his time, labor, engineering and machining and *****ed up a storm about the fact that they could do it for $25, if only they had the tools, knowledge and the time to do it (and of course, precisely ZERO of those people have stepped forward with their $25 product). I'm sure this reception didn't help his feelings towards the product, and I don't blame him.

Unfortunately, there's no good fix here.

Spend >$1000 for a new topcase, you probably have to paint it and it's got the same lousy design latch, so it will probably break again. Find one that's not broke, and ... it will probably break. I have seen several people who slopped on enough JBWeld to fix it, and with a bit of grinding and repainting, it can work. I didn't realize mine had been broken until it broke again. I found half the moving parts had been removed, which doubled the stress on those remaining, so really, I'm impressed it worked as well and as long as it did...so if you do it right, it might be a semi-permanent repair (I just got the repair kit...and no regrets). Otherwise, maybe some leather...or since this is a BMW, nylon? ... straps? Call it a fashion statement.

#4 ·
Before there were ANY kits we all just ground the underside of the hooks a bit and smoothed them out. Then we always pushed down on the lid while operating the latch to reduce the chance it would fail. Having said that I am glad I was able to get the fix it before it breaks kit. The design was fantastic as well as the workmanship, and I let him know that it was well worth the money.

#5 ·
Same experience here. Relieving and smoothing the hooks and pushing on the top and not forcing the latch worked great for 11 years for me and my wife. However, when I heard that the FIBIB kits were being end-of-lifed, I placed my order and got one of the last kits sold. Did I really need it? Probably not, but it has provided great piece of mind on a part that is not easily repaired.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.