time to buy BMW - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Jan 14th, 2007, 6:18 pm Thread Starter

time to buy BMW

came here to ask to experts. I'm planning on dumping my Electra Glide for a K 1200 LT. I've spent a lot of time learning the workings of the V-twin and know little about the in-line four.

what can i expect? can i service it myself, what are the service intervals, what if any problems can i expect? will my wife be happy with it?????
thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Jan 14th, 2007, 6:39 pm

I dumped an Electra Glide Classic for the LT and love it. You can wrench all you want on it...just buy the CLymers manual. You wont regret your decision.

F
post #3 of 12 Old Jan 14th, 2007, 6:53 pm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by solorider
came here to ask to experts. I'm planning on dumping my Electra Glide for a K 1200 LT. I've spent a lot of time learning the workings of the V-twin and know little about the in-line four.

what can i expect? can i service it myself, what are the service intervals, what if any problems can i expect? will my wife be happy with it?????
thanks.
James,

This is a good place to start researching.

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/faq.php?t

I think you will find most of your questions are answered in the FAQs. Disclaimer: there ia lot of info in there and it may keep you up all night.

post #4 of 12 Old Jan 14th, 2007, 7:00 pm

You made a great decision. I've had 5 Harleys and I do love them. The workmanship and sevice is fabulous. It cannot, however, compare to the thrill of the BMW handling. Although i did a lot of winter riding on my Harleys with the heated gear I always was a little bit cold. The BMW is a bike where you can truly rid ein comfort in any weather. Enjoy!!
post #5 of 12 Old Jan 14th, 2007, 7:57 pm

Smile

After 33+ years of nearly daily riding 6 HD Baggers, 2 Goldwings and other misc bikes... NOTHING compares to my 2005 LT - VroomHilda.

I shoulda done this years ago coming over to the Dark Side.

I think I stayed with my HD's for so long as they are easy to get parts for and easy to service myself. I loved looking at them but I got tired of the Lousy Handling, low Horsepower, Middle age wannabes in Pirate costumes and bad dealers who acted like they were doing you a favor taking your $$$.. (Not that their aren't bad bmw or other marquee dealers everywhere)

Service is more complicated but it is so much more elegant and more a riders machine and not a "Lifestyle Vehicle". I have done all my own service with the same tools I had used on my Hardley-Dangerous.
I think you will find that nearly 1/2 of BMW riders migrated over from HD!

47+ Yrs Daily Motorcycle Street riding for Therapy

2012 Victory Cross Country Tour

2007 Black Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - Sold
2007 Red Moto Guzzi Norge 1200 - Sold
2005 LT Dark Graphite - (Sold)
2005 PearlBlue FJR1300 (Sold)
3 BMW's, 8 HD baggers, 3 Goldwings & 860K + miles later
*Ridin steady since 1973

post #6 of 12 Old Jan 14th, 2007, 8:04 pm

Thumbs up

Quote:
will my wife be happy with it?????
thanks.
She will be... and subsequently so will you!!!
From a passenger point of view this bike is a dream. Some of the wives/SO even tend to fall asleep, comfortable as they are...!
When I turn on the heated seat and backrest for my pillion... I could swear I can hear Kathy purr!!!

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 12 Old Jan 14th, 2007, 8:34 pm

James,

Your wife will love it. Soon she'll be on the back catching "Zs" she'll be so comfortable...REALLY!

You'll find the K-engine in-line four a smooth box of purring. I love how it is so smooth...even at high RPMs it runs smoother than most other bikes. The weight of the bike slows down the acceleration...but she'll get up there. BTW...handling the curves and sweepers is fun on this bike. The high center of gravity and high seat are challenging for the shorter folk...(lots of drops) but after you are used to it...not too bad.

The service is extensive...probably overkill...and it's not cheap. If you rely on the dealer for the regular service intervals...it should be a big consideration on your decision. You'll be tearing deep into the girl every 12 thousand miles. And tearing into this bike is a lengthy and ambitious undertaking.

Make sure you have a dealer nearby. The network is a little sparse in large parts of the country...and there are things you can't do unless you are at a BMW shop.

Have fun...enjoy the bike.

Tom

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 12 Old Jan 14th, 2007, 9:01 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbird
-------------------------...and there are things you can't do unless you are at a BMW shop.------------------------------------
Tom
The only things I am aware of that you have to have a dealer for are Moditec readouts, re-setting some stored faults, and full blown brake system service. Even bleeding the new brakes can be done without the dealer. Just about everything else is well within the realm of owner done work.

Depends on how mechanically inclined the owner is, and how much they are willing to do themselves.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #9 of 12 Old Jan 14th, 2007, 9:18 pm

Thumbs up Dare to take a ride!

Quote:

thanks.
#1. Dare you to take an LT for a ride. It's fun, smooth, and hard to get off and park it. You'll want to go for another ride right away. I found I ride this smooth, comfortable LT about 15 MPH faster than I rode my HD RoadGlide at. It's that comfy!

#2. I hate to admit it, but it was my wife that thought we ought to try the LT first.(We were looking for a newer Roadglide). AND I've never looked back. We/I've been 17000 miles since May 2006.

#3. Wrenching is your choice. I do what I can. I'm 100 miles from my BMW dealer. I've used them for 2 warranty items. The LT is a machine and does need TLC!

I predict you and your SO will love it!

Just my .02 cents worth!

====
Bought used K1200LT number 3. This one is green/teal with 31,369(now 7/29/2018 54,143) miles and is an '02. The first 2 bikes made it to near 150,000 miles.

Due to heart health, the Dr says not to ride under 40 degree air temp. Ugh! Now it is harder to get my 18000 miles a year in just in the summer. Guess that stopped my 20 degree rides now.

78 years young!
04 Honda Reflex.....Hers (it mostly sits)
Converted HD rider.
Love this LT bike and still waiting for my first speeding ticket. LOL
Vern

=====
post #10 of 12 Old Jan 14th, 2007, 9:46 pm

I have an Utlra still, but ride my LT most of the time since I bought it. My wife likes the ride too. I don't think you will regret the change. The Lt is just so much more fun to ride. Welcome. jrlakin
post #11 of 12 Old Jan 15th, 2007, 9:25 am

Time to buy BMW

Just one item that I must disagree with on above comments. My wife actually likes the ride on the HD Ultra better, because it protects her more from the wind. She is 5'10" and sits way up in the wind stream. No matter how I position the tall stock windshield she gets lots of wind. She is getting used to it now.

Ultra LT

Riding is life. All else is just waiting.
post #12 of 12 Old Jan 15th, 2007, 1:53 pm
fas

Cool SO says............

Quote:
came here to ask to experts. I'm planning on dumping my Electra Glide for a K 1200 LT. I've spent a lot of time learning the workings of the V-twin and know little about the in-line four. what can i expect? can i service it myself, what are the service intervals, what if any problems can i expect? will my wife be happy with it?????
thanks.
You asked about what the lady has to say. My gal has been hanging on the back of my bikes since 1971. We loved our LT and rode it hard for four years. She prefers our new GT. She prefers the sitting position and the ride quality. She calls it "the cloud." I set the suspension for COMFORT when she jumps on. My gal is only 5' 2" and maybe 110#. She now believes the LT was too big for her hips. Her range per day is much better with the GT. Being an HD stock owner, I love all HD buyers. My pal who works at HD told me to buy the BMW. He knows I ride fast and the ABS is superb in combination with the Brembo system. He was a lead engineering manager at Corvete racing then got recruited to HD. Far less vibration with the in line four. Helps all the parts stay together and functional.

Good luck with your decision process.

Rob Nelson

2006 K1200GT [now lives in Wisconsin]
Grey Goose
2002 K1200LTC [now lives in Georgia]
Toscana Temptress

More than 132,000 (recently corrected higher) motorcycle riders have died in traffic crashes since the enactment of the Highway Safety Act of 1966 and The National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966. Be careful out there.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in