K1200LT Seat - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By jzeiler
  • 1 Post By fatbob307
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Unread Sep 10th, 2019, 2:16 pm Thread Starter

K1200LT Seat

Hello all.. I just joined this forum and have already learned some things. This is my first post to the forum so I may ramble a bit. ..
I have been riding a number of years, I used to ride a '92 R100RS when I wanted to go a distance. I have a bunch of old bikes so it isn't the only one I'd ride. I tend to keep the bikes I like a long time, I've had the '92 R100RS since '95.. My wife often rides with me...

A little over 2 years ago my wife was getting her nails done at a shop within walking distance of a Honda shop. I went in there while I was waiting on her. They had a nice blue & gray '08 K1200LT with all the bells a whistles and 45000 miles on the odometer on the showroom floor. It's basically the same color as my R100RS. When my wife was done, she came in to get me and saw it. After sitting on it, her comment was "we need this" so... A couple days later it was in our garage.. so I still have it and the R100RS. After a couple years riding it we have found a couple of issues.

One issue is that it is a wonderful ride once you get moving but it's a pig in the parking lot. But I knew that when I got it (from a test ride) and just put up with it because it is really nice once moving..

Another is a broken latch handle on the rear luggage case. reading here I see that it is a very common problem.. And that I need to fix it.

The other problem is what I need to know about. It's the seat.. My wife loves hers and were ridden it 400 miles I a day without her complaining... Unfortunately the front seat on it is a medieval torture device. It's OK for about 60-80 miles but after that I find it to be painful in my hips It's feels like the part between my legs (the tank area) is prying my legs apart. Standing up on the pegs occasionally helps but for the most part I have to stop and stretch....

I contacted Corbin and they do still sell a replacement front seat that they say will fix my problem and has the stock seat cover so it will match my wifes' sea .. but ÖIt is $500 and they no longer sell it with the heated seat option. Apparently their source for the heated seat pan no longer makes them. My seat is heated and I occasionally use it . but I think it may be worth losing the heat to make it more comfortable... ..

I guess what I need to know is if anyone has experience with the Corbin seat and will be actually solve the problem (be more comfortable on long rides)

Thanks

Bobby
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Unread Sep 10th, 2019, 6:23 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Re: K1200LT Seat

If you are already a fan of hard, Corbin seats by all means go for it. I prefer the Russel Day Long Saddle and have had mine for 11 years now. Can still go all day, day after day. The stock seat did suck for me as well.
meese likes this.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 Unread Sep 10th, 2019, 8:39 pm

+1 on the Russell seat, love it!
meese likes this.

Bob Lower
Casper, WY

'01 K1200LT
'03 R1150 RT
'13 R1200GS
'79 R100T w/Hack
'10 Triumph Thunderbird
'09 Triumph Bonneville
'07 Guzzi Norge
'88 HD FLHS

post #4 of 10 Unread Sep 11th, 2019, 5:34 am

There are several aftermarket seats to consider, and with the off-season approaching, shopping for #1 Russell, #2 Sargent, #3 Corbin & #4 the Meyer bros. (Rick & Rocky) on the BMW MOA Classifieds may bear fruit. Iíd also check with some of the large and /or your local BMW dealers for aftermarket heated seats that were removed from a trade-in.
post #5 of 10 Unread Sep 11th, 2019, 5:47 am

Garage
I have the heated version of the Corbin seats and backrest for sale if you are interested. 500 for the set plus shipping.
post #6 of 10 Unread Sep 11th, 2019, 7:10 am

I was having the same problem you describe about the seat killing your hips. One day I could barely walk after a ride. I moved the seat to the top position and I haven't had a problem since. The most comfortable bike seat I have ever sat on. I had it reupholstered last year but the construction is the same. I think my problem is I was always trying to keep the seat low for slow speed manoeuvring.
I tried the seat up higher and I haven't looked back. You could just try lowering your pegs and inch and see how that works for you. You might just save your self a load of money.
post #7 of 10 Unread Sep 11th, 2019, 7:39 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler View Post
If you are already a fan of hard, Corbin seats by all means go for it. I prefer the Russel Day Long Saddle and have had mine for 11 years now. Can still go all day, day after day. The stock seat did suck for me as well.
Seats are tough as well have our unique posteriors. I got along quite well with the stock seat with a Bead Rider until the foam really began to break down after 11 years. I bought a Russell Day Long last winter as I was preparing for a long ride to Alaska as I have heard almost nothing but rave reviews about them. However, almost all of those rave reviews also commented as to how bad the stock seat was. Keep this in mind for the next paragraphs.

My wife really liked her stock seat and finds the RDL at most comparable to stock and actually a little annoying as it seems to want to slide her forward and she has to continually reposition rearward as we ride. I have much the same problem. The seat seems to continually nudge me forward and I have to push on the pegs to reposition ever 20-30 miles all day long. I also have an additional issue where the seat puts too much pressure under my thighs. After about 4 hours in the saddle, I feel like I am sitting on a bar at about the balance point if I really was sitting on a bar. So, while I could ride an 8 hour day, and we did a number of these on the Alaska run, the comfort really wasn’t improved over my stock seat. And it is much harder to get my legs flat footed at a stop now. I really have to consciously scoot forward at every stop and that is a little annoying. I also had my first ever drop of the bike on this trip and while I think dehydration was the primary factor, my wife said it looked like I could not get my foot down far enough fast enough and I think she is right. I am pretty sure the drop would not have happened with the stock seat as I could have got my foot on the ground faster before the LT got past the point of no return.

So, my experience with RDL has been mixed thus far. I have been on contact with them about the issues and will be returning my seat for a rework this winter. I am hoping that the issues with sliding forward and pressure points under my thighs are correctable. However, the getting your feet down issue is intrinsic to the Russell design and that can’t be fixed without losing the main benefit of their seat.

So, in the future I will think more about how much I like the stock seat. I am now of the mind that says if the stock seat is fairly comfortable for you, then an aftermarket seat may not help you much and may actually make things worse as most are shaped quite differently than stock. If the stock seat really sucks for you, then I think you are much more likely to find comfort in an aftermarket seat. I think the reason the RDL wasn’t a marked improvement for me and Linda is that neither of us was all that uncomfortable on the stock seat shape. If the bear had not perforated the passenger seat, I probably would have just had new foam placed in the stock seat and carried on.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 10 Unread Sep 11th, 2019, 10:27 am

I love my seats from Cee Bailey. They took my old seats and rebuilt them. They had me take pictures of me sitting on the bike from various angles to get the seat height and position correct. They also recovered the Bakup backrest to match. I had an issue with a seam that was rubbing my leg on the first iteration and they rebuilt the seat a 2nd time at no cost.

PS. Just checked to see and they are no longer in the motorcycle business. Too bad. They had great products and service.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0260 (2).JPG
Views:	23
Size:	219.4 KB
ID:	154303  
post #9 of 10 Unread Yesterday, 6:23 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler View Post
I have a Corbin and I can confirm it's hard
post #10 of 10 Unread Today, 7:39 am

I am with you on the issues with the factory seat.

Problem 1: Except for Corbin, many/most of the aftermarket seat makers want your old seat to rework it, so time without your bike being ridable will be a thing. And (probably more important to me), no ability to revert. I'm kinda a fan of being able to remove modifications and revert to factory (kinda an old car thing...where every dollar of modifications is a dollar OFF the value of a collectible car unless you got the parts to revert).

Problem 2: My factory seat had no heat. I kinda wanted heat.

A local person sold me a very lightly used Corbin seat set for $500 a number of years ago. Good news, the heated seat Just Plug In on the non-heated bike -- the cables are all there, just need something to plug into them.

Results of the corbin seat: I think it's no better than the factory seat. My GF (like you, the reason I bought the bike -- one sit on the back seat, she said, "You ARE buying this") really dislikes it, definite step backwards.

SO... granting that everyone's rear end is different, I'm going to say, "DO NOT GET THE CORBIN", at least at new prices...and I'd suggest NOT replacing the passenger seat if you do get a Corbin. I'm still trying to decide what my long-term plans with the LT are, but I'd be more likely to try to get someone to recover the Corbin than I would be to recover the factory seats.

Good-ish news(?), a lot of LTs are being permanently retired, so there's probably going to be a lot of used seats available.

(for reference, I also have an '85 K100RT, which came with a very beat-up old Corbin. I spent money to replace that with a factory seat, and never regretted it. So Not Just an LT issue. I just don't like Corbin seats)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in