Technique/effort to engage Reverse? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Jan 14th, 2007, 3:51 pm Thread Starter

Technique/effort to engage Reverse?

I am still waiting to finalize the purchase of a 2000 K1200LT (with about 27,000 miles). The owner now has the title in hand, but there's eight inches of snow on the ground, so it will probably be next weekend before I can go pick it up.

So, for good or ill, I have plenty of time to mull over my impressions of riding the bike.

One thing I noticed was that it was difficult to engage reverse. I assumed it would be pretty similar to the GL1500: Stop moving, put the bike in neutral, flip the lever. But the lever didn't flip easily. Apparently the current owner (who has only had the bike for a year or so) rarely if ever used reverse. He shut the engine off to engage reverse. I don't remember whether it would start in reverse or not. We eventually did get it into reverse, and I backed in a circle around his driveway.

I also noticed that it seemed to back up at a faster speed than either the GL1500 or GL1800, and the engine revved up a bit when I hit the starter button to make it go.

So, the questions are:

What is the correct procedure to engage and use reverse?

Is there a trick to getting the lever to flip easily?

Is it normal for the engine to rev up when actually backing up?

From my description above, does anyone smell a problem here? Anything I should investigate before plunking the money down for this bike?

Thanks much,
juggler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Jan 14th, 2007, 4:19 pm
Miles of Smiles

Garage
Smile Try Rocking.

Yes, it is normal for the RPM to increase when using reverse. No, you do not need to switch off the engine to engage reverse. Try a gentle rocking forward or backwards to assist with engaging and disengaging. HTH

Jenna: Ocean Blue '06
Hilton: Head of the Steering Committee.
Rena: The Committee.
ET4 Thing 1
ET4 Thing 2
post #3 of 5 Old Jan 14th, 2007, 4:22 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by juggler
What is the correct procedure to engage and use reverse?

Is there a trick to getting the lever to flip easily?

Is it normal for the engine to rev up when actually backing up?

From my description above, does anyone smell a problem here? Anything I should investigate before plunking the money down for this bike?
  • Put the bike in Neutral
  • Turn knob to Reverse
  • Press starter button to backup
If the knob doesn't flip easily, rock the bike a little. It should engage with little effort.

Yes, the engine should rev as it backs up.

I don't smell anything. Oh . . . wait. Er . . . never mind. It's just Grif coming outta the elevator! (Sorry. Inside joke.)

post #4 of 5 Old Jan 14th, 2007, 4:56 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the insight. Sometimes, the GL1500 wouldn't engage on the first try, and putting it in gear, moving an inch or two, then back to N would reposition some whooziwhatzit in the thingamajig and it would slip right in. Anyone who learned to put a tired old VW in reverse knows the same drill. Or I guess it's akin to having to wiggle the steering wheel to be able to turn the key in my wife's car.

I sometimes worry that buying a six year old bike with too few miles has its pitfalls, as some things just need regular exercise to keep working properly.

I'll report back in when I get the bike.

Thanks again,
j
post #5 of 5 Old Jan 14th, 2007, 5:22 pm

My '02 with a lot of miles on it exhibits the same behavior. I think your potential one is perfectly normal.

2010 Honda NT700V
1978 Honda CB400T II

Formerly
2011 R1200 RT
'04 R1150 RT-P
'04 R1200CLC
'06 Triumph Scrambler
'02 K1200LT
'01 R1200C Montana
'00 H-D Dyna Defender

" Twas a woman that drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her! " - W.C. Fields

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in