BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

05 LT with Ducati Design need bulbs, help

921 views 14 replies 4 participants last post by  jzeiler 
#1 ·
I am the third owner of an 05 LT with the Ducati Design front headlights. One bulb has burned out and I need a new one. It is NOT a HID bulb. I have attached a photo. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
OK I guess I led you astray. The stock Ducati Design had incandescent bulb but that is an HID bulb. So it appears that one of the previous owner did convert to HID. Normally the bulbs are pretty bullet proof unless they are cracked. More often than not is is the ballast that goes bad. Your best bet is to buy a conversion kit for an H9 bulb. This will consist of a bulb that will fit the fixture and a ballast that will drive the bulb.

The sample is for a car with two lights. Just google HID H9 conversion motorcycle OR get the car set with two of each and replace both bulbs in the head light.

Sorry about the confusion.

Attachments

#9 ·
Those will work just be aware that HID bulbs take a few seconds to get to full brightness and the high beam will be switched on and off a lot.

Reactions: NGABMWLT
#13 ·
By transformers I presume you mean ballast units. These take the 12 volts from the bike and jump it up to 25,000 volts to get the arc going and then drop down to about 60-80 volts to keep the bulb lit.

Reactions: NGABMWLT
#15 ·
They can be had cheaper but you get what you pay for. These are quality items. I bought a cheap one in 2005 for 35 bucks and had issues with it for years until I got a good Phillips ballast. It is worth the money.

Reactions: kbob12
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.