BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Forum special offer - $2500

2K views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  Chad Albrecht 
#1 ·
I have had no time to show this bike. My work schedule has been keeping me busy. This big girl has been listed on Craigslist and FB marketplace, on and off all summer. If anyone is looking for a real bargain in the northeast US, this is your lucky day. It is a real shame to look at her sitting in my garage when I'm sure someone would really enjoy riding her.

If she's still in my garage after Labor Day weekend, then I will put her up for auction on E-bay to the highest bidder. Let me know if you are at least semi-seriously interested.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/299607964144258/

#3 ·
OMG

Man. Feel like I need a bike in the US I can use on vacations!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#4 ·
Man. Feel like I need a bike in the US I can use on vacations!
Too late on this one. :)

But I'd love to go riding down your way one day. Maybe you just need to make friends in the US and do a house/riding swap vacation...

#11 ·
The LT always was a fine touring bike. Still is. :bmw:

I do prefer the GTL for less weight and more power, but my solo LD focus has switched to lighter bikes. And my wife is thrilled to be on an LT passenger seat again.

The F850GS Adventure is currently the top contender. Light, agile, almost as much power as the LT with a bunch less weight. It seems competent enough for long miles, and is much more capable on rough roads be they paved or not. Plus it now has all the modern BMW electronics: cornering ABS, traction control, enduro mode, quick shifter, active suspension, cruise control, etc.

If I can make it a bit more LD capable, then I'll have a bike that I can ride from Prudhoe Bay to Key West, and everywhere in between.

And still have an LT for the fun two-up stuff.

#14 ·
Ken--Thanks for the thoughts on the 850GSA. I have been contemplating the 850GSA for some time as I use my bike mostly for commuting and the desire to do occasional off-road (not to be confused with the continual off-roading required on California freeways and city streets due to improper maintenance!). So far I have been trying to keep the K1200 going and have been a bit leery on spending the $$. Jim

#12 ·
If you are doing the original Iron Butt, the LT gets a lot of usage. I haven't done the LD riding. Mainly because for me, I don't really feel the need to ride LD just to do it. I was looking at 1,000 mile ride last year but didn't do it as plans changed. I have spent 8+ hours on the bike before. I could get up in the morning and hop on my LT and do 1k without a problem - on a freeway going somewhere. Moving at freeway speeds, the LT feels light. Stopping for gas and the weight can be felt. I have seen the extended gas tanks and other things people to do to go really far in 24 hours and to meet the other IB challenges. Have fun on your LD rides. I am sure you will enjoy them. Hope it works out for you on the lighter bike you plan to use.

#13 ·
Thanks for the advice, Jim. Yes, the LT is excellent at just cranking out the miles solo or two-up, and it handles better than it ought to for such a heavy bike.

But I must say that I do have some experience in this area...

Reactions: kbob12
#16 ·
I've ridden an 800GS years ago, and while it was OK, it seemed a bit spartan.

With all the latest and greatest tech added onto the 2019 F850 bikes, they've become much more of a contender.

Plus my mission is a lot more focused now.

#17 ·
Hey Chad, I think you sold me a defective LT.

I had the rear tire replaced in Memphis, and now the front tire needs replacing, and the rear is almost ready to be replaced again.

I mean, that's only 13 states in the last six weeks or so. :cool:
Rapidly closing in on 74,000 miles...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.